Homeless Persons; Impulse Control Disorders; Prisoners; Veterans; Women; Mental Disorders Diagnosed in Childhood; Mood Disorders; Substance-Related Disorders; Schizophrenia and Disorders with Psychotic Features; Vulnerable Populations
Women's Health Research at Yale: WHRY Research Cores: Women & Trauma Core
Dr. Desai’s research utilizes principles of psychiatric epidemiology and services research to examine risk factors and correlates of psychiatric disorders, with particular attention paid to co-occurring disorders and vulnerable populations. This research has included studies on pathological gambling, schizophrenia, substance abuse/dependence, the risk of suicide in psychiatric patients, trauma and comorbidity, criminal justice mental health, and the mental health problems experienced by the homeless and by returning Veterans from the Middle East. At the national level, Dr. Desai regularly advises senior management within the VA Office of Mental Health Operations, the Office of Mental Health services, and other areas of VA Central Office regarding VA performance with respect to mental health services, and the appropriate metrics to evaluate those services nationally. She has also served on several advisory committees to the VA on the mental health needs of female veterans, with particular attention to military sexual trauma. She is currently the Principal Investigator of the Survey of the Experiences of Returning Veterans (SERV) a large VA-funded study of the gender differences in coping behaviors of Veterans returning from military service.
Extensive Research Description
- Health correlates of compulsive video game playing, shopping, and stealing among high school students in CT
- Associations between gambling behaviors and other health and risk behaviors in adolescents
- Gender differences in the association between deployment experiences and substance use and abuse in veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan (SERV Study)
- Use of CAM services in the treatment of PTSD
- Pain as a mediator of the association between childhood abuse and onset of major depression in adults
- Predictors of the use of residential treatment services in VA
- Differential mortality in Veterans with and without mental illness
- Surgical outcomes in Veterans with and without mental illness
- Cardiac outcomes in Veterans with and without mental illness
- Gender differences in the correlates of cutting behavior in adolescents
Video game playing in high school students: health correlates, gender differences and problematic gaming.
Desai RA, Krishnan-Sarin S, Cavallo D, Potenza MN. Video game playing in high school students: health correlates, gender differences and problematic gaming. Pediatrics. 2010 Nov 15. [Epub ahead of print] PMID:21078729
Gender differences in the association between body mass index and psychopathology.
Desai RA, Manley MM, Desai MM, Potenza MN. Gender differences in the association between body mass index and psychopathology. CNS Spectr. 2009 Jul;14(7):372-83. PMID:19773713
A cross-sectional study of problem and pathological gambling in patients with schizophrenia/schizoaffective disorder.
Desai RA, Potenza MN. Problem and pathological gambling in patients with schizophrenia. J Clin Psychiatry. 2009 Sep;70(9):1250-7. doi: 10.4088/JCP.08m04359. E-Pub ahead of print, June 16, 2009.
Gender differences in the associations between past-year gambling problems and psychiatric disorders.
Desai RA, Potenza MN. Gender differences in the associations between past-year gambling problems and psychiatric disorders. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. Mar 2008;43(3):173-183.
Suicide among discharged psychiatric inpatients in the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Desai RA, Dausey D, Rosenheck RA. Suicide among discharged psychiatric inpatients in the Department of Veterans Affairs. Mil Med. Aug 2008;173(8):721-728.
Gambling, health, and age: data from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions
Desai RA, Desai MM, Potenza MN. (2007) Gambling, health, and age: data from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors; 21(4): 431-440.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Ronzitti S, Kraus SW, Hoff RA, Clerici M, Potenza MN: Problem-gambling severity, suicidality and DSM-IV Axis II personality disorders. Addict Behav. 2018 Mar 5; 2018 Mar 5. PMID: 29529554
- Fortgang RG, Hoff RA, Potenza MN: Problem and Pathological Gambling in Schizophrenia: Exploring Links with Substance Use and Impulsivity. J Gambl Stud. 2018 Feb 16; 2018 Feb 16. PMID: 29453588
- Ronzitti S, Kraus SW, Hoff RA, Potenza MN: Stress moderates the relationships between problem-gambling severity and specific psychopathologies. Psychiatry Res. 2018 Jan; 2017 Oct 22. PMID: 29091825
- Zhai ZW, Yip SW, Steinberg MA, Wampler J, Hoff RA, Krishnan-Sarin S, Potenza MN: Relationships Between Perceived Family Gambling and Peer Gambling and Adolescent Problem Gambling and Binge-Drinking. J Gambl Stud. 2017 Dec. PMID: 28101835
- Scoglio AAJ, Shirk SD, Hoff RA, Potenza MN, Mazure CM, Park CL, McKee SA, Porter EA, Kraus SW: Gender-Specific Risk Factors for Psychopathology and Reduced Functioning in a Post-9/11 Veteran Sample. J Interpers Violence. 2017 Dec 1; 2017 Dec 1. PMID: 29295023
- Barry DT, Glenn CP, Hoff RA, Potenza MN: Group differences in pain interference, psychiatric disorders, and general medical conditions among Hispanics and whites in the U.S. general population. Psychiatry Res. 2017 Dec; 2017 Aug 24. PMID: 28886905
- Tsai J, Kasprow WJ, Quarles JL, Hoff RA: A 20-Site Comparison of Transition-in-Place Versus Traditional Transitional Housing Programs. Adm Policy Ment Health. 2017 Sep. PMID: 27449115
- Barry DT, Pilver Glenn CE, Hoff RA, Potenza MN: Pain Interference and Incident Medical Disorders in the General Population. Pain Med. 2017 Jul 1. PMID: 28339518
- Tsai J, Hoff RA, Harpaz-Rotem I: One-year incidence and predictors of homelessness among 300,000 U.S. Veterans seen in specialty mental health care. Psychol Serv. 2017 May. PMID: 28481605
- Turban JL, Potenza MN, Hoff RA, Martino S, Kraus SW: Psychiatric disorders, suicidal ideation, and sexually transmitted infections among post-deployment veterans who utilize digital social media for sexual partner seeking. Addict Behav. 2017 Mar; 2016 Nov 17. PMID: 27902944
- Barry DT, Glenn CP, Hoff RA, Potenza MN: Pain Interference, Psychopathology, and General Medical Conditions Among Black and White Adults in the US General Population. J Addict Med. 2017 Mar/Apr. PMID: 28067758
- Sanacora RL, Whiting SW, Pilver CE, Hoff RA, Potenza MN: Relationships Between Problem-Gambling Severity and Psychopathology as Moderated by Income. J Behav Addict. 2016 Sep; 2016 Jul 21. PMID: 27440475
- Tsai J, Pietrzak RH, Hoff RA, Harpaz-Rotem I: Accuracy of screening for posttraumatic stress disorder in specialty mental health clinics in the U.S. Veterans Affairs Healthcare System. Psychiatry Res. 2016 Jun 30; 2016 Apr 21. PMID: 27107669
- Whiting SW, Potenza MN, Park CL, McKee SA, Mazure CM, Hoff RA: Investigating Veterans' Pre-, Peri-, and Post-Deployment Experiences as Potential Risk Factors for Problem Gambling. J Behav Addict. 2016 Jun; 2016 May 9. PMID: 27156377
- Weinberger AH, Esan H, Hunt MG, Hoff RA: A review of research on smoking behavior in three demographic groups of veterans: women, racial/ethnic minorities, and sexual orientation minorities. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2016 May; 2015 Jul 7. PMID: 26151807
- Griffiths MD, van Rooij AJ, Kardefelt-Winther D, Starcevic V, Király O, Pallesen S, Müller K, Dreier M, Carras M, Prause N, King DL, Aboujaoude E, Kuss DJ, Pontes HM, Lopez Fernandez O, Nagygyorgy K, Achab S, Billieux J, Quandt T, Carbonell X, Ferguson CJ, Hoff RA, Derevensky J, Haagsma MC, Delfabbro P, Coulson M, Hussain Z, Demetrovics Z: Working towards an international consensus on criteria for assessing internet gaming disorder: a critical commentary on Petry et al. (2014). Addiction. 2016 Jan. PMID: 26669530
- Foster DW, Hoff RA, Pilver CE, Yau YH, Steinberg MA, Wampler J, Krishnan-Sarin S, Potenza MN: Correlates of gambling on high-school grounds. Addict Behav. 2015 Dec; 2015 Jul 17. PMID: 26232102
- Yip SW, Mei S, Pilver CE, Steinberg MA, Rugle LJ, Krishnan-Sarin S, Hoff RA, Potenza MN: At-Risk/Problematic Shopping and Gambling in Adolescence. J Gambl Stud. 2015 Dec. PMID: 25117852
- Weinberger AH, Franco CA, Hoff RA, Pilver CE, Steinberg MA, Rugle L, Wampler J, Cavallo DA, Krishnan-Sarin S, Potenza MN: Gambling behaviors and attitudes in adolescent high-school students: Relationships with problem-gambling severity and smoking status. J Psychiatr Res. 2015 Jun; 2015 Apr 20. PMID: 25959617
- Weinberger AH, Franco CA, Hoff RA, Pilver C, Steinberg MA, Rugle L, Wampler J, Cavallo DA, Krishnan-Sarin S, Potenza MN: Cigarette smoking, problem-gambling severity, and health behaviors in high-school students. Addict Behav Rep. 2015 Jun; 2015 Feb 10. PMID: 29531978
- Smith PH, Potenza MN, Mazure CM, McKee SA, Park CL, Hoff RA: Compulsive sexual behavior among male military veterans: prevalence and associated clinical factors. J Behav Addict. 2014 Dec. PMID: 25592306
- Tsai J, Pilver CE, Hoff RA: Potential mental health needs of US adult residents under different provisions of the Affordable Care Act. J Clin Psychiatry. 2014 Dec. PMID: 25271598
- Kong G, Tsai J, Krishnan-Sarin S, Cavallo DA, Hoff RA, Steinberg MA, Rugle L, Potenza MN: A latent class analysis of pathological-gambling criteria among high school students: associations with gambling, risk and health/functioning characteristics. J Addict Med. 2014 Nov-Dec. PMID: 25275877
- Doran KM, Shumway M, Hoff RA, Blackstock OJ, Dilworth SE, Riley ED: Correlates of hospital use in homeless and unstably housed women: the role of physical health and pain. Womens Health Issues. 2014 Sep-Oct. PMID: 25213745
- Tsai J, Elhai JD, Pietrzak RH, Hoff RA, Harpaz-Rotem I: Comparing four competing models of depressive symptomatology: a confirmatory factor analytic study of 986,647 U.S. veterans. J Affect Disord. 2014 Aug; 2014 May 4. PMID: 24882195
- Leeman RF, Patock-Peckham JA, Hoff RA, Krishnan-Sarin S, Steinberg MA, Rugle LJ, Potenza MN: Perceived parental permissiveness toward gambling and risky behaviors in adolescents. J Behav Addict. 2014 Jun; 2014 Apr 5. PMID: 25215222
- Hammond CJ, Pilver CE, Rugle L, Steinberg MA, Mayes LC, Malison RT, Krishnan-Sarin S, Hoff RA, Potenza MN: An exploratory examination of marijuana use, problem-gambling severity, and health correlates among adolescents. J Behav Addict. 2014 Jun; 2014 Apr 5. PMID: 25215219
- Leeman RF, Hoff RA, Krishnan-Sarin S, Patock-Peckham JA, Potenza MN: Impulsivity, sensation-seeking, and part-time job status in relation to substance use and gambling in adolescents. J Adolesc Health. 2014 Apr; 2013 Nov 19. PMID: 24268362
- Tsai J, Harpaz-Rotem I, Pilver CE, Wolf EJ, Hoff RA, Levy KN, Sareen J, Pietrzak RH: Latent class analysis of personality disorders in adults with posttraumatic stress disorder: results from the National Epidemiologic Survey on Alcohol and Related Conditions. J Clin Psychiatry. 2014 Mar. PMID: 24345427
- Yau YH, Pilver CE, Steinberg MA, Rugle LJ, Hoff RA, Krishnan-Sarin S, Potenza MN: Relationships between problematic internet use and problem-gambling severity: findings from a high-school survey. Addict Behav. 2014 Jan; 2013 Oct 8. PMID: 24140304
- Camenga DR, Kong G, Bagot K, Hoff RA, Potenza MN, Krishnan-Sarin S: Marijuana and alcohol use and attempted smoking cessation in adolescent boys and girls. Subst Abus. 2014. PMID: 25174418
- Rahman AS, Balodis IM, Pilver CE, Leeman RF, Hoff RA, Steinberg MA, Rugle L, Krishnan-Sarin S, Potenza MN: Adolescent alcohol-drinking frequency and problem-gambling severity: adolescent perceptions regarding problem-gambling prevention and parental/adult behaviors and attitudes. Subst Abus. 2014. PMID: 25147928
- Kong G, Tsai J, Pilver CE, Tan HS, Hoff RA, Cavallo DA, Krishnan-Sarin S, Steinberg MA, Rugle L, Potenza MN: Differences in gambling problem severity and gambling and health/functioning characteristics among Asian-American and Caucasian high-school students. Psychiatry Res. 2013 Dec 30; 2013 Oct 18. PMID: 24183532
- Pilver CE, Libby DJ, Hoff RA, Potenza MN: Gender differences in the relationship between gambling problems and the incidence of substance-use disorders in a nationally representative population sample. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013 Nov 1; 2013 Jun 4. PMID: 23755930
- Barry DT, Pilver CE, Hoff RA, Potenza MN: Pain interference and incident mood, anxiety, and substance-use disorders: findings from a representative sample of men and women in the general population. J Psychiatr Res. 2013 Nov; 2013 Aug 27. PMID: 23992771
- Barry DT, Pilver CE, Hoff RA, Potenza MN: Pain Interference, Gambling Problem Severity, and Psychiatric Disorders among a Nationally Representative Sample of Adults. J Behav Addict. 2013 Sep 1. PMID: 24443702
- Slavin M, Pilver CE, Hoff RA, Krishnan-Sarin S, Steinberg MA, Rugle L, Potenza MN: Serious Physical Fighting and Gambling-Related Attitudes and Behaviors in Adolescents. J Behav Addict. 2013 Sep. PMID: 24294502
- Weinberger AH, Pilver CE, Hoff RA, Mazure CM, McKee SA: Changes in smoking for adults with and without alcohol and drug use disorders: longitudinal evaluation in the US population. Am J Drug Alcohol Abuse. 2013 May. PMID: 23721534
- Pilver CE, Libby DJ, Hoff RA, Potenza MN: Problem gambling severity and the incidence of Axis I psychopathology among older adults in the general population. J Psychiatr Res. 2013 Apr; 2013 Jan 16. PMID: 23333039
- Pilver CE, Libby DJ, Hoff RA: Premenstrual dysphoric disorder as a correlate of suicidal ideation, plans, and attempts among a nationally representative sample. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2013 Mar; 2012 Jul 3. PMID: 22752111
- Fiellin LE, Tetrault JM, Becker WC, Fiellin DA, Hoff RA: Previous use of alcohol, cigarettes, and marijuana and subsequent abuse of prescription opioids in young adults. J Adolesc Health. 2013 Feb; 2012 Aug 20. PMID: 23332479