Research & Publications
Marney A. White, PhD, MS, is a clinical psychologist, specializing in eating and weight disorders. In addition to her appointment as Professor of Social and Behavioral Sciences in the Yale School of Public Health, she holds a secondary appointment in the Department of Psychiatry (Yale School of Medicine). Professor White's research focus is on weight and eating problems, with particular emphasis on the interaction of tobacco use with eating disorders and weight concerns. Current projects include curriculum-based interventions to improve student mental health on college campuses.
At YSPH she teaches courses in Questionnaire Development (psychometrics) and Behavior Change, and serves as the SBS Director of Online Education. She also teaches the undergraduate course in Epidemiology and Public Health at Yale College, and Biostatistics in the Yale National Clinician Scholars Program.
Professor White's innovative "Self Care" course (Health Behavior Change: From Evidence to Action) is now publicly available through Coursera.
Education & Training
- MSYale School of Public Health, Chronic Disease Epidemiology (2009)
- Postdoctoral FellowshipYale University School of Medicine (2005)
- ResidentMedical University of South Carolina (2003)
- PhDLouisiana State University, Clinical Psychology (2003)
- MAJames Madison University (1998)
- BSUniversity of Virginia (1991)
- Self-Care for Health ProfessionalsAdelaide, SA, Australia 2021International Healthcare Forum: Connecting World Health. TAFE-SA. Adelaide, Australia.
- Randomized controlled trial of an internet-administered cognitive behavioral smoking cessation treatment for weight-concerned smokers.Taormina, Sicily, Italy 2015Eating Disorders Research Society International Conference
- Examining the Interpersonal Model of Binge Eating and Loss of Control Over Eating in WomenSalzburg, Salzburg, Austria 2011International Conference on Eating Disorders (ICED)
- Binge eating, purging, or both: eating disorder psychopathology findings from an internet community surveyCancún, Q.R., Mexico 2009International Conference on Eating Disorders (ICED)
- DSM-IV Psychiatric Disorder Co-morbidity in Binge Eating DisorderMontreal, QC, Canada 2008Eating Disorders Research Society
- Accuracy of self-reported weight among gastric bypass surgery candidatesVancouver, BC, Canada 2005NAASO
Honors & Recognition
|#3 World Expert in Binge Eating Disorder||Expertscape||2021|
|World Expert in Feeding and Eating Disorders (top 1%)||Expertscape||2021|
|Distinguished Teaching Award/ Teacher of the Year||Yale School of Public Health||2020|
|Distinguished Teaching Award||Yale School of Public Health||2014|
|Early Career Investigator Award||Eating Disorders Research Society||2007|