Research & Publications
My research and consultation/training work focuses on processes of recovery from and in serious mental illnesses and addictions and the development and evaluation of innovative policies and programs to promote the recovery and community inclusion of individuals with these conditions. We utilize mixed qualitative and quantitative methods, and typically conduct our research in a participatory and inclusive fashion that involves people in recovery and other stakeholders in all aspects and phases of the research process.
Education & Training
- PhDDuquesne University (1989)
- Latino CollectiveMedellín, Colombia; São Paulo, Brazil 2016Collaborations with South American countries to disseminate evidence-based practices and conduct participatory research
- Developing the peer workforceMelbourne, Australia 2014Consultation, training, and technical assistance in developing a peer workforce for Melbourne, Australia.
- Disseminating recovery-oriented practicesUnited Kingdom 2011Disseminating recovery-oriented practices throughout the National Health Services.
- Research on Recovery and Service User InvolvementHong Kong; Norway; Sweden 2010Developing a network, including service users (i.e., persons with serious mental illnesses and addictions), to conduct research on promoting recovery and social inclusion.
- Psychiatric disorders training programFrance; United Kingdom; Norway; Sweden 2008Professor Davidson conducts multi-center, international research on recovery from severe psychiatric disorders; this is a collaborative training program.
- Processes of recovery in and from serious mental illnessesTrieste, Italy (2005-2011)Multi-National Research Collaborative
Honors & Recognition
|Armin Loeb Award||Psychiatric Rehabilitation Association||2018|
|Teaching and Mentoring in Qualitative Inquiry Award||American Psychological Association||2018|
|Alexander Gralnick Research Investigator Prize||American Psychological Foundation||2014|
|Carl Rogers Heritage Award||American Psychological Association and International Society for Humanistic Psychology||2012|
|Franco Basaglia Memorial Scholarship||Fondazione Basaglia, Rome, Italy||2008|
|President’s Award||United States Psychosocial Rehabilitation Association, New York Chapter||2007|
|Distinguished Young Investigator Award & Garmezy Scholar||Society for Life History Research||1999|
|Second Prize, Research Competition||International Society for the Psychological Treatment of Schizophrenia.||1997|
|First Annual Karl Jaspers Prize||Association for the Advancement of Philosophy and Psychiatry||1991|