Deputy Dean for Education
Teaching and education are central elements of the Yale School of Medicine’s mission. There is a broad scope of target audiences, including students in our MD, MD-PhD, and PA programs, as well as residents, fellows, and fellow faculty.
Below is information about a range of fulfilling opportunities for YSM faculty to engage with varying learners, as well as resources to help make faculty become better educators in the classroom, laboratory, and clinical settings.
Medical Education Leadership
Associate Dean of Student Research
Associate Dean for Student Affairs
Associate Dean for Physician Associate and Assistant Education
Associate Dean for Teaching and Learning
Associate Dean of Student Research
Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education
Associate Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid
Associate Dean for Global Health Education
Associate Dean for Curriculum
Assistant Dean for Education
Associate Dean for Medical Student Diversity
Faculty as Learners
Continuing Medical Education
Master of Health Sciences Degree Program
Master of Health Science (MHS) is a two-year Yale degree offered through the Yale School of Medicine (YSM) Office of Student Research (OSR). Details about this program are available on the OSR website. The MHS degree program includes a Medical Education Pathway, which is offered through the YSM Teaching and Learning Center.
Faculty as Educators
Optimizing your teaching
Medical education day at Yale
- Medical education discussion group series
- Medical education fellowship
- Master of Health Science-Medical Education Pathway degree program
The evaluations that our trainees complete can provide invaluable feedback that faculty should use to guide their development. Just as feedback to trainees is used to help them, feedback to faculty should be used in a similar fashion. Evaluations should be reviewed on a periodic basis and attention paid to suggested areas for improvement.
Medhub is the platform used for teaching evaluations from the clinical setting. Under the index page, select “Evaluations” along the top bar and then “Aggregate Evaluations” under the sub bar. Aggregated scoring and comments can be reviewed there. If you do no not have access to that option, please contact your department registrar.
Teaching summary letters are compiled by the YSM Teaching and Learning Center (TLC) for faculty who are being considered for promotion to associate professor with tenure and professor on the clinician-educator, clinician-scientist, and traditional tracks. These letters summarize educational leadership and curriculum development, faculty development in medical education, and teaching assessments for respective department chairs and A&P Committees.
Teaching to Specific Audiences
- House Staff
- Other Audiences
Educating MD, MD-PhD, PA, and PA Online students provides a wonderful opportunity for YSM faculty to contribute to YSM's education mission and both help shape and learn from the next generation of physicians, scientists, and PAs.
Below are some examples of how you can engage with teaching and mentoring. The Office of Medical Education at Yale has delineated additional teaching and mentoring opportunities for faculty with MD, MD-PHD, PA, and PA Online students.
offers faculty the opportunity to serve on the Admissions Committee and engage prospective students.
- YSM Curriculum offers faculty the opportunity to participate with preclinical courses, clerkships, electives, and subinternships. Faculty also are needed for the Interprofessional Longitudinal Clinical Experience (ILCE), Medical Coach Experience (MCE), teaching clinical skills, and office precepting.
Office of Global Health Education
focuses on student education while engaging faculty in teaching around global health themes, serving as global health research mentors, and fostering a community of clinician educators engaged in global health.
- Office of Student Affairs offers faculty to opportunity to be academic advisors, serve on a progress committee, and precept student interest groups.
- Diversity, Inclusion, Community Engagement, and Equity (DICE) has programs with opportunities for faculty involvement, mentoring, and more.
- Office of Student Research plays a critical role in mentoring students with research and thesis work. They run the START@Yale Program (Summer To Advance Research Training @ Yale), which pairs medical students with faculty research mentors during the summer before the first year, regularly seek additional mentors. As students get established at YSM, further formulate their interests, and start to think about next steps, there are many further opportunities for mentoring YSM students.
- YSM Physician Associate Program offers faculty the opportunity to participate in the pre-clinical curriculum (deliver lectures, facilitate small group workshops and standardized patient sessions), and to serve as Interprofessional Longitudinal Clinical Experience (ILCE) faculty coaches. Faculty also can serve as thesis advisors and engage in clinical teaching during clerkships.
- YSM Physician Assistant Online Program offers faculty the opportunity to part in several online learning experiences including didactic instruction, small group facilitation, and Virtual Interprofessional Education (VIPE). Faculty also can engage with student interest groups.