Deputy Dean for Education
Education is at the core of the Yale School of Medicine’s mission and teaching to promote learning is our goal. There is a broad scope of learners, including students in our MD, MD-PhD, and PA programs, as well as residents, fellows, and faculty.
Below is information about a range of fulfilling opportunities for YSM faculty to engage with various learners, as well as resources to enhance faculty teaching skills in the classroom, laboratory, and clinical settings.
Medical Education Leadership
Associate Dean of Student Research
Associate Dean for Student Affairs
Associate Dean for Physician Associate and Assistant Education
Associate Dean for Teaching and Learning
Associate Dean of Student Research
Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Medical Education
Associate Dean for Admissions and Financial Aid
Associate Dean for Global Health Education
Associate Dean for Curriculum
Assistant Dean for Education
Associate Dean for Medical Student Diversity
Center for Medical Education
Yale School of Medicine’s (YSM) Center for Medical Education is the home for continuing medical education (CME) and additional resources to support faculty engaged in teaching and learning. The Center for Medical Education provides a synergized and centralized approach to educator and professional development, curricular design, and evaluation.
The programs to support educators at the Center for Medical Education are overseen by faculty and staff who are experts in their medical education field. When you visit the Center’s website, you will find information about:
- Yale Medical Educator Series – YES!
- Medical Education Discussion Group
- Medical Education Day at Yale
- Degree and Certificate Programs in Medical Education
- Education Technology
- Peer Observation of Teaching and Giving Feedback
- Education Program and Curriculum Evaluation
- Educator Assessment
- Student Assessment
- Continuing Medical Education (CME)
Quick Links to connect with Center for Medical Education faculty and staff:
Request a Consultation
For developing curricula, identifying and tailoring appropriate assessment methods, using technology to enhance teaching, and other areas of expertise offered through the Center.
Request a Teaching Observation with Feedback
The Center's faculty observer watches the session, records feedback, and meets with the teacher privately afterward to talk together about the feedback.
Register to attend an Educator Development Program
These programs support the Yale community of educators and those engaged in medical education and research. The Center carefully selects topic experts from Yale, as well as guests from other institutions, to share their expertise with our educators.
Additional YSM Resource for Educators
Yale Center for Healthcare Simulation is a state-of-the-art center that provides members of the YSM and Yale New Haven Health Services communities an ideal learning environment for supervised and independent practice with a focus on group communication and teamwork, but also specific technical skill.
Faculty as Educators
The evaluations that our trainees complete can provide invaluable feedback that faculty should use to guide their development, similar to how feedback to trainees is used to help them. These evaluations will be an important part of your annual conversations when you meet with your chair or section chief, and when you meet with mentors about your own career development.
BlueDogs is the platform used for teaching evaluations in the MD and Physician Associate (PA) pre-clerkship setting. Information is gathered from trainees about the course and the faculty who taught the course. To access your evaluations from MD students:
- Log into BlueDogs, click on the button "Click here to log in through Yale Single Sign-On."
Enter your NetID and Password Authenticate via Duo Push.
After logging in, you should be on the calendar page. In the upper right corner, click on your picture which will open a menu.
In the menu, click on My Portrait.
On the page that opens, click on Documents in the left, vertical menu.
The page that opens will have links to your feedback for the course.
(Please note, the PA Program shares aggregated student feedback with its faculty.)
Medhub is the platform used for teaching evaluations in MD clerkships, electives, and sub-internships, as well as residencies and fellowships. Information is gathered from trainees about the clerkships, electives, and sub-internships and the preceptors. To access your evaluations:
- Log in Medhub, enter your NetID, and Password Authenticate via Duo Push. Please note: when you first access Medhub, after entering your NetID as your username, you must set up a Medhub-specific password.
- Under the index page, select the grey tab "Evaluations" along the top bar.
- Click on "Aggregate Evaluations" under the sub-bar. Aggregated scoring and comments can be reviewed there.
For questions about accessing Medhub for UME MD evaluations, please contact Gina Franco. The contact for accessing GME evaluations is Thomas Casagrande. (The PA Program shares aggregated student feedback about clerkships with preceptors.)
Teaching to Specific Audiences
- House Staff
- Other Audiences
Educating MD, MD-PhD, PA, and PA Online students provides a wonderful opportunity for YSM faculty to contribute to YSM's education mission and both help shape and learn from the next generation of physicians, scientists, and PAs.
Below are some examples of how you can engage with teaching and mentoring. The Office of Medical Education at Yale has delineated additional teaching and mentoring opportunities for faculty with MD, MD-PHD, PA, and PA Online students.
offers faculty the opportunity to serve on the Admissions Committee and engage prospective students.
- YSM Curriculum offers faculty the opportunity to participate with preclinical courses, clerkships, electives, and subinternships. Faculty also are needed for the Interprofessional Longitudinal Clinical Experience (ILCE), Medical Clinical Experience. (MCE), teaching clinical skills, longitudinal coaching, and office precepting.
Office of Global Health Education
focuses on student education while engaging faculty in teaching around global health themes, serving as global health research mentors, and fostering a community of clinician educators engaged in global health.
- Office of Student Affairs offers faculty the opportunity to be academic advisors, serve on a progress committee, and precept student interest groups.
- Diversity, Inclusion, Community Engagement, and Equity (DICE) has programs with opportunities for faculty involvement, mentoring, and more.
- Office of Student Research plays a critical role in mentoring students with research and thesis work. They run the START@Yale Program (Summer To Advance Research Training @ Yale), which pairs medical students with faculty research mentors during the summer before the first year, regularly seek additional mentors. As students get established at YSM, further formulate their interests, and start to think about next steps, there are many further opportunities for mentoring YSM students.
- YSM Physician Associate Program offers faculty the opportunity to participate in the pre-clinical curriculum (deliver lectures, facilitate small group workshops and standardized patient sessions), and to serve as Interprofessional Longitudinal Clinical Experience (ILCE) faculty tutors. Faculty also can serve as thesis advisors and engage in clinical teaching during clerkships.
- YSM Physician Assistant Online Program offers faculty the opportunity to part in several online learning experiences including didactic instruction, small group facilitation, and Virtual Interprofessional Education (VIPE). Faculty also can engage with student interest groups.