Research & Publications
The glucocorticoid receptor is found in nearly every cell type. It is the receptor for the body's endogenous steroid (cortisol) as well as for the many synthetic steroids (prednisone, dexamethasone) that are used therapeutically for a variety of conditions. Studies have clearly shown that this receptor has tissue-specific functions and that loss of the receptor in specific tissuess produces profound and unexpected phenotypes. I am interested in determining the role of this receptor in the endothelium, and more recently, in podocytes, the specialized cells which maintain the filtration barrier in the kdiney.
Specialized Terms: Glucocorticoid-induced hypertension; Vascular endothelial glucocorticoid receptor; Steroids and sepsis; Atherosclerosis; Podocyte glucocorticoid receptor and nephrotic syndrome
Extensive Research Description
- Characterization and mechanism of glucocorticoid-induced hypertension in several mouse models with tissue-specific knockout of the glucocorticoid receptor
- Effect of the knockout of the glucocorticoid receptor in the endothelium in a mouse model of LPS-induced sepsis, with and without steroid treatment
- Role of the endothelial glucocorticoid receptor in the development of atherosclerosis and vascular inflammation
- Role of the podocyte glucocorticoid receptor in the development of nephrotic syndrome
- Endothelial GR control of the Wnt signaling pathway
- Efndothelial-podocyte crosstalk in renal fibrosis and cardiorenal disease
Fibrosis; Glucocorticoids; Hypertension; Inflammation; Nephrology; Nephrotic Syndrome; Pediatrics; Steroids; Sepsis; Atherosclerosis; Wnt Signaling Pathway
- Endothelial Dysfunction and Vascular Remodeling in HypertensionGoodwin JE. (2017) Endothelial Dysfunction and Vascular Remodeling in Hypertension. In Flynn J, Ingelfinger JR, Redwine K (Eds.) Pediatric Hypertension, Springer International Publishing AG, DOI: 10.1007/978-3-319-31420-4_41-1
- Glucocorticoids and the Cardiovascular System. In: Glucocorticoid Signaling: from Molecules to Mice to ManGoodwin JE. Glucocorticoids and the Cardiovascular System. In: Glucocorticoid Signaling: from Molecules to Mice to Man. J Wang, C Harris eds; 2015: 299-314.
- Monogenic Disorders of Blood Pressure Regulation in Handbook of Hypertension Eds.Goodwin, David Geller. Monogenic Disorders of Blood Pressure Regulation in Handbook of Hypertension Eds.. A. F. Dominiczak and J. M. Connell Vol 24, 29-47. 2007.