Visiting Student Scholarship Program: An Initiative to Enhance Healthcare Workforce Diversity
Yale School of Medicine is actively pursuing a variety of ways to enhance healthcare workforce diversity. The Visiting Student Scholarship Program is an opportunity for visiting U.S. medical students to apply for a scholarship for a clinical elective at Yale School of Medicine.
During a clinical elective, students are immersed in clinical medicine and have the opportunity to interact with faculty, residents, students, and staff as well as residency and departmental leadership. Moreover, the students participate in Yale and New Haven community activities and other social engagements.
Please note, while many departments offer electives, only the following departments currently offer scholarships to enhance healthcare workforce diversity: Emergency Medicine; Internal Medicine; Neurology; Ob-Gyn; Pediatrics; Radiology & Biomedical Imagining; and Urology.
Scholarship & Housing
The program provides a scholarship of $1,500 to assist in travel and lodging while accepted students rotate in an elective at Yale School of Medicine and participate in the program. Scholarship funds are provided in the form of a check to visiting medical students after their elective rotation at Yale ends.
The program does not currently offer housing for visiting medical students approved to participate. After you are approved to participate, the program will provide a list of housing resources so you may secure housing for yourself in New Haven.
This scholarship is available to:
- Fourth-year medical students
- Students who have completed all core clinical clerkships before participating in the program
- Students who are in good standing in a medical school at a U.S. LCME accredited allopathic institution (are enrolled in medical degree-granting programs) or students who are in good standing at a U.S. COCA accredited osteopathic institution (are enrolled in a DO-granting program).
- Students from one or more of the following:
- Racial or ethnic groups (e.g. Hispanic/Latinx, Black/African-American, Native American, or Asian Pacific Islander) that are underrepresented in medicine relative to their numbers in the general population
- Socially and economically disadvantaged backgrounds (e.g. first generation, low-income students)
- Sexual orientation/gender identity minorities
- Disability community
This program is NOT available to medical students who:
- Attend or have graduated from non-U.S. medical schools
- Attend medical schools that are not LCME accredited by the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC) or COCA accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA).
- Are foreign medical students on an F-1 Visa who attend U.S. medical schools
- Meet the criteria noted above
- Apply at VSAS
- All students wishing to visit Yale School of Medicine for a clinical elective are required to apply using the AAMC Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS)
- Pay the VSAS Application cost of $40
- Yale School of Medicine will waive its $200 application processing fee for students confirmed to participate in this scholarship program (at this time it is a reimbursement)
- Apply for this Visiting Student Scholarship
- After submitting the VSAS application, complete this supplementary Yale School of Medicine Scholarship Application to Enhance Healthcare Workforce Diversity