Short Term Research
This funding is available to 3rd, 4th and 5th year medical students for periods engaged in full-time research, defined as 40 hours per week during normal business hours. Short term research stipends are awarded in the amount of $2,196 per 4-week period. The funding for short-term research is competitive, and students must apply for a minimum of four consecutive weeks and a maximum of twelve consecutive weeks in any given period.
Please note that students in their final year are only eligible to apply for short term funding through October 31.
Listed below are links for additional sources of funding for summer and short term research. It is important that you read the requirements carefully for each fellowship, as they have different eligibility requirements and deadlines. IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are planning to apply for short term fellowships from funding sources outside of Yale, please contact Anne Kellett at email@example.com as there may be additional forms required by Yale's Office of Sponsored Projects that need to be completed before an application can be submitted to the funding agency.
- Gold Student Summer Fellowship
Medical Student Training in Aging Research (MSTAR) Program
Cancer in the Under-Privileged, Indigent or Disadvantaged - The Summer Translational Oncology Program at Johns Hopkins (CUPID)
Jeanne Spurlock Minority Medical Student Research Fellowships in Substance Abuse and Addiction
- Medical Student Anesthesia Research Fellowship Program
- Medical Student Research Program in Diabetes and Obesity
- Medical Students' Sustained Training and Research Experience in Aging and Mental Health (M-STREAM) Program for Summer Research
- Memorial Sloan-Kettering Summer Fellowship Program
- Society of Nucelar Medicine and Molecular Imaging
- Summer Medical Student Fellowships in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- William B. Bean Student Research Award
- University of Maryland School of Medicine's SPORT Program
2022-2023 Academic Year
- August 5, 2022 (Research Sept., Oct, Nov.)
- Note: Final year medical students will not be eligible to receive short term funding beyond October 31st.
- November 4, 2022 (Research Dec., Jan., Feb.)
- February 3, 2023 (Research March, Apr., May)
- May 5, 2023 (Research June, July, August)
2023-2024 Academic Year
- August 4, 2023 (Research Sept., Oct, Nov.) *Note that MS4 students will not be eligible to apply for short term funds beyond this date*
- November 3, 2023 (Research Dec., Jan., Feb.)
- February 2, 2024 (Research March, Apr., May)
- May 4, 2024 (Research June, July, August)