Viji Kurup, MD
Professor of Anesthesiology; Vice Chair for Medical Education, Anesthesiology; Section Chief, Perioperative & Adult Anesthesia, Anesthesiology
Research & Publications
The focus of my research in in developing effective and efficient methods of teaching for anesthesia residents and in assuring a safe and stress free environment for learning.
Extensive Research Description
International: I am the Chair Designee for the Committee on Outreach and Developing world for society for education in anesthesia (SEA)- (www.seahq.net). My objectives for this year are
- Developing crisis resource management tools like algorithms and making them handy for use in remote locations
- Developing a document with tips for teaching for residents going overseas
- Cofounder of Sim Worldwide (sww.etsu.edu). This is a website dedicated to increasing collabaration among medical schools in the US and abroad. Currently we transmit selected teaching sessions to the developing world. We have schools in India, Thailand, ElSalvador, China and Switzerland who log on to the sessions. We have one way video transmission and two way chat. This enables the session to be interactive for the audience abroad.
- Director of a monthly e-learning module for the PGY1 students who are coming into our program in anesthesia called the START (Successful transition to Anesthesia Residency Training) program- This is a collaboration with Stanford Anesthesia (Dr Larry Chu) who initiated the very successful program there. In this project we shoot short videos of pertinent topics which follow a trigger video to reinforce basic concepts in anesthesia to residents.
- Yale Media Lab: We are currently involved in making videos for teaching. Garrett Sendlewski is the Associate at the media lab.
- Flipped classroom evaluation of course model.
- Simulation- We use simulation to reinforce important concepts for our residents. Currently we are designing scenarios and testing them before applying to practice.
- Co-founder of an anesthesia multimedia website (www.anesthesiaillustrated.com). This is a collaboration with Stanford Aim Lab, again under the direction of Dr Larry Chu. The goal is to create a library of education media that can be used by faculty and students in the specialty for learning and teaching.
- Building a patient education website for anesthesia with information we got from the survey of our pre-operative patients.
- Using flashcard app to create flashcards for anesthesia residents to prep for their board exams.
- Creating a curriculum for teaching residents how to teach. This will be focused on residents who want to learn more on teaching and learning theories.
- Studying the effects of a wellness curriculum on stress and burnout markers in anesthesia residents.
Library Science; Medical Informatics; Medical Laboratory Science; Educational Technology
- Lessons from the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Case for Virtual Residency InterviewsDey P, Havlik J, Kurup V, Ahuja N. Lessons from the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Case for Virtual Residency Interviews Annals Of Surgery Open 2021, 2: e077. DOI: 10.1097/as9.0000000000000077.
- Neuroanesthesia and Coexisting Respiratory ProblemsGruenbaum S, Sandhu M, Bilotta F, Kurup V. Neuroanesthesia and Coexisting Respiratory Problems 2018, 63-82. DOI: 10.1007/978-981-13-2086-6_5.
- Placing a Lumbar Epidural CatheterKim A, Sendlewski G, Zador E, Kalsi M, Zador L, Kurup V. Placing a Lumbar Epidural Catheter New England Journal Of Medicine 2018, 378: e11. PMID: 29466161, DOI: 10.1056/nejmvcm1500438.
- Role of in-situ simulation for training in healthcareKurup V, Matei V, Ray J. Role of in-situ simulation for training in healthcare Current Opinion In Anaesthesiology 2017, 30: 755-760. PMID: 28968283, DOI: 10.1097/aco.0000000000000514.
- Images in AnesthesiologyWong F, Detterbeck F, Kurup V. Images in Anesthesiology Anesthesiology 2016, 125: 395. PMID: 26797155, DOI: 10.1097/aln.0000000000001019.
- Crisis Resource Management: Before the EmergencyHuang Y, Kurup V. Crisis Resource Management: Before the Emergency 2015, 1-6. DOI: 10.1093/med/9780199377275.003.0001.
- Patient preferences on telemedicine for preanesthesia evaluationFishman M, Mirante B, Dai F, Kurup V. Patient preferences on telemedicine for preanesthesia evaluation Journal Canadien D'anesthésie 2014, 62: 433-434. PMID: 25424380, DOI: 10.1007/s12630-014-0280-0.
- AnesthesiologyKurup V, Barash P. Anesthesiology 2013, 98-101. DOI: 10.1007/978-1-4020-8265-8_45.
- Exploring new frontiers in anesthesia educationKurup V. Exploring new frontiers in anesthesia education Current Opinion In Anaesthesiology 2012, 25: 680. PMID: 23026807, DOI: 10.1097/aco.0b013e32835a0962.
- Blended learning in anesthesia educationKannan J, Kurup V. Blended learning in anesthesia education Current Opinion In Anaesthesiology 2012, 25: 692-698. PMID: 23147669, DOI: 10.1097/aco.0b013e32835a1c2a.
- Role of the Internet as an information resource for surgical patients: a survey of 877 patientsKurup V, Considine A, Hersey D, Dai F, Senior A, Silverman DG, Dabu-Bondoc S. Role of the Internet as an information resource for surgical patients: a survey of 877 patients British Journal Of Anaesthesia 2012, 110: 54-58. PMID: 22991261, DOI: 10.1093/bja/aes326.
- When Cardiac Patients Need ECT—Challenges for the AnesthesiologistKurup V, Ostroff R. When Cardiac Patients Need ECT—Challenges for the Anesthesiologist International Anesthesiology Clinics 2012, 50: 128-140. PMID: 22481560, DOI: 10.1097/aia.0b013e31824ff57c.
- Anesthesia 2.0: Internet-based information resources and Web 2.0 applications in anesthesia educationChu LF, Young C, Zamora A, Kurup V, Macario A. Anesthesia 2.0: Internet-based information resources and Web 2.0 applications in anesthesia education Current Opinion In Anaesthesiology 2010, 23: 218-227. PMID: 20090518, DOI: 10.1097/aco.0b013e328337339c.
- Finding Information by “Design”: Search Strategies for Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia LiteratureKurup V, Hersey D. Finding Information by “Design”: Search Strategies for Cardiothoracic and Vascular Anesthesia Literature Journal Of Cardiothoracic And Vascular Anesthesia 2010, 24: 845-858. PMID: 20110175, PMCID: PMC7129306, DOI: 10.1053/j.jvca.2009.11.007.
- E-patients - Revolutionizing the Practice of MedicineKurup V. E-patients - Revolutionizing the Practice of Medicine International Anesthesiology Clinics 2010, 48: 123-129. PMID: 20616641, DOI: 10.1097/aia.0b013e3181e5c1c5.
- The New Learners—Millennials!!Kurup V. The New Learners—Millennials!! International Anesthesiology Clinics 2010, 48: 13-25. PMID: 20616635, DOI: 10.1097/aia.0b013e3181e5c1b4.
- The Role of Social Networking Applications in the Medical Academic EnvironmentChu LF, Zamora AK, Young CA, Kurup V, Macario A. The Role of Social Networking Applications in the Medical Academic Environment International Anesthesiology Clinics 2010, 48: 61-82. PMID: 20616638, DOI: 10.1097/aia.0b013e3181e6e7d8.
- Prolonged elevation of plasma argatroban in a cardiac transplant patient with a suspected history of heparin‐induced thrombocytopenia with thrombosisGenzen JR, Fareed J, Hoppensteadt D, Kurup V, Barash P, Coady M, Wu YY. Prolonged elevation of plasma argatroban in a cardiac transplant patient with a suspected history of heparin‐induced thrombocytopenia with thrombosis Transfusion 2009, 50: 801-807. PMID: 20003049, DOI: 10.1111/j.1537-2995.2009.02531.x.
- Information Technology in Anesthesia EducationKurup V, Ruskin K. Information Technology in Anesthesia Education 2009, 397-407. DOI: 10.1007/978-0-387-76418-4_20.
- CHAPTER 9 Respiratory DiseasesKurup V. CHAPTER 9 Respiratory Diseases 2008, 161-197. DOI: 10.1016/b978-1-4160-3998-3.10009-0.
- The perioperative librarian: luxury or necessity?Kurup V, Hersey D. The perioperative librarian: luxury or necessity? Current Opinion In Anaesthesiology 2007, 20: 585-589. PMID: 17989555, DOI: 10.1097/aco.0b013e3282f172bd.
- Infundibular Pulmonary StenosisKurup V, Perrino A, Barash P, Hashim SW. Infundibular Pulmonary Stenosis Anesthesia & Analgesia 2007, 104: 507-508. PMID: 17312199, DOI: 10.1213/01.ane.0000255204.39328.0b.
- Cardiac surgery in a patient with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia--cautions with use of the direct thrombin inhibitor, argatroban.Kurup V, Transue S, Wu Y, Rinder HM, Barash P, Dewar M. Cardiac surgery in a patient with heparin-induced thrombocytopenia--cautions with use of the direct thrombin inhibitor, argatroban. Connecticut Medicine 2006, 70: 245-50. PMID: 16768071.