Research & Publications
I am presently the President of Yale New Haven Hospital/Executive Vice President of Yale New Haven Health. I held the previous positions of Executive Vice President and Chief Operations Officer and Senior Vice Presidentand Executive Director for Heart & Vascular Services, Transplantation Services and ClinicalService Coordinator for the Department of Medicine at Yale New Haven Hospital here in New Haven.
I was born and raised in Nashville, Tennessee obtaining my undergraduate degree from Harvard University and my medical degree from Washington University School of Medicine. I spent my formative training years at Emory University Medical School and Affiliated Hospitals with chief residency year at Grady Memorial Hospital and completing a cardiology residency in 1994. I was 12 years in private cardiology practice before joining Vanderbilt Medical School as full-time academic faculty in 2006, ( I became a became a member of the clinical faculty at Vanderbilt in 1999). At Vanderbilt I was an Associate Professor of Medicine and Radiology and the Executive Director/Chief Medical officer the Vanderbilt Heart and Vascular Institute from2009-14. I am on the on the National Board of the American Heart Association and Chair of the National Advocacy Committee for AHA through 2023. I am presently the President-Elect for AHA with my tenure beginning in July, 2024. I sit on a number of local boards on the New Haven area including President of the New Haven Symphony Board, Columbus House, the Community Foundation of New Haven the New England Donor Services from 2019-2021.
Education & Training
- Nuclear Cardiology FellowshipEmory University School of Medicine and Affiliated Hospitals (1994)
- Cardiology FellowshipEmory University School of Medicine and Affiliated Hospitals (1994)
- Chief Residency, Grady Memorial HospitalEmory University School of Medicine and Affiliated Hospitals (1992)
- ResidencyEmory University school of Medicine and Affiliated Hospitals (1990)
- InternshipEmory University School of Medicine and Affiliated Hospitals (1988)
- MDWashington University School of Medicine (1987)
- ABHarvard University , Biology (1983)
- Board CertificationCertification Board of Nuclear Cardiology, Nuclear Cardiology (1996)
- Board CertificationAB of Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease (1995, recertified: 2022)
- Board CertificationAB of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine (1990, recertified: 2023)
|American Heart Association||President||2023 - 2024|