Faculty Tracks, Ranks, & Positions
The faculty of the School of Medicine together are responsible for advancing the clinical, educational, and research missions of the School. The faculty tracks and ranks recognize the different levels of experience, expertise, and accomplishments in each of these domains. For each of the tracks, ranks, and positions, please consult the Yale University Faculty Handbook for details and official policies. RANKS AND TRACKS OVERVIEW VIDEO
Welcome to the OAPD website!
As we work to get this site optimized, please excuse anything that is in evolution. Many of the details and specifics are being worked out, and there may be inaccuracies that have not yet been addressed. Nothing on this website supersedes what is delineated in the Yale University Faculty Handbook. Please email any suggestions to Jonathan Grauer, MD.
- Ladder Tracks and Ranks
- Non-Ladder Ranks and Positions
Ladder Tracks and Ranks
PLEASE NOTE THAT EFFECTIVE JULY 1ST, 2023, THERE WILL BE TWO CHANGES TO TRACK NAMES. CLINICAL TRACK WILL BE RENAMED ACADEMIC CLINICAN TRACK AND CLINICIAN EDUCATOR TRACK WILL BE RENAMED CLINICIAN EDUCATOR-SCHOLAR TRACK.
The professoriate of YSM hold appointments in one of five ladder tracks that have varying emphasis on clinical, educational, and research activities. A summary that represents key YSM Ladder Faculty Track Metrics (Version 2020) has been developed for reference (Updated version applicable starting 7/2023). This information is reflected in the sections below. TRACK AND RANK EXPECTATION VIDEO
In general, appointment to or advancement on these tracks beyond the rank of assistant professor requires excellence in one or more domains. Regional/emerging national and eventually national/international recognition for contributions and impact on the field are associated with advancement.
- The Clinical track emphasizes excellence in patient care, education as trainees are available, and research as a possibility.
- The Clinician-Educator track emphasizes excellence in patient care, education, and research scholarship.
- The Clinician-Scientist track emphasizes research scholarship with additional focuses on clinical care and education.
- The Investigator track emphasize excellence in individual and team science.
- The Traditional track emphasizes driving new areas of research as well as being outstanding educators and, if engaged in patient care, exemplary clinical skills.