Research & Publications
My past research project included a nationwide survey to ascertain student registered nurse anesthetist (SRNA) perceptions of and attitudes toward programmatic stress. Findings suggest that SRNAs are subject to a tremendous stress load during their anesthesia training. Although students feel that they would benefit from the inclusion of a stress-reduction curriculum in their programs of nurse anesthesia, the majority of schools do not include this type of training on a regular basis.
My current research aims to quantify and analyze ambient noise levels in the operating room, particularly during the induction, maintenance and emergence phases of anesthesia. Future studies will include the effects of increased noise on anesthesia provider situation awareness and the potential validation of a noise-sensing, visual cueing device for noise mitigation in the OR.
Specialized Terms: Student stress load, optimization of study and test-taking skills, human factors and patient safety, noise
Anesthesiology; Noise; Patient Safety
- The Administration of Tranexamic Acid For Complex Spine Surgery.Jockel K, Lee A, Cosgrove M, Reilly D, Wijesekera S. The Administration of Tranexamic Acid For Complex Spine Surgery. AANA Journal 2023, 91: 63-70. PMID: 36722785.
- Perceived Impact of Ambient Operating Room Noise by Certified Registered Nurse AnesthetistsCosgrove, MS. Perceived Impact of Ambient Operating Room Noise by Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetists. VCU Scholars Compass, 2019. DOI: https://doi.org/10.25772/M2ZJ-8D73
- Infection Control in the Operating RoomCosgrove MS. Infection Control in the Operating Room Critical Care Nursing Clinics Of North America 2014, 27: 79-87. PMID: 25725538, DOI: 10.1016/j.cnc.2014.10.004.
- Operative Care of Obstetric PatientsCosgrove MS. Operative Care of Obstetric Patients Critical Care Nursing Clinics Of North America 2014, 27: 89-103. PMID: 25725539, DOI: 10.1016/j.cnc.2014.10.003.
- Anesthesia for the adult patient with an unrepaired congenital cyanotic heart defect: a case report.Cosgrove MS. Anesthesia for the adult patient with an unrepaired congenital cyanotic heart defect: a case report. AANA Journal 2012, 80: 197-203. PMID: 22848981.