Research & Publications
Dr. Adelman is the Director of the Retina and Macula Service at Yale School of Medicine. He is an internationally recognized expert in diseases and surgery of macula, retina and vitreous and currently serves as the Scientific Director of European Vitreo-Retinal Society (EVRS) and President of Connecticut Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons (CSEP). He has been invited faculty in 14 countries including Germany, Italy, Spain, Mexico and Canada. His clinical interests include macular holes and puckers, macular degeneration, diabetic retinopathy, complex retinal detachments, retinal vein occlusion, retinal lasers and surgery.
He has received the “Senior Honor Award” of the American Society of Retina Specialists and the “Achievement Award” of the American Academy of Ophthalmology. He has been recognized by the Lions of Connecticut as “Knight of the Blind” for “outstanding work throughout the state and in the global community.” Dr. Adelman’s education includes a Master of Public Health from the University of California at Berkeley, an Ophthalmology Residency and a Retina Fellowship at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary of Harvard Medical School. During his fellowship, he received many awards, including the Club Vit Fellow Research Award, the Ron G. Michels Fellowship Award, and Fellow of the Year 2000. He has been at the forefront of new advancements in macular and retinal diseases and has been Principal Investigator of numerous clinical trials. Dr. Adelman has published extensively, primarily in the area of retinal and macular diseases and surgery, with over 90 publications and 250 abstracts. He serves on the editorial board of several scientific journals and serves on the Executive Committees of several medical societies.
Education & Training
- MBAYale University School of Management (2011)
- FellowHarvard Medical School-Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary, Vitreo-retinal Diseases & Surgery (2001)
- ResidentHarvard Medical School-Massachusetts Eye & Ear Infirmary, Ophthalmology (1999)
- ResidentStanford University Medical Center, Ophthalmology (1997)
- MPHUniversity of California at Berkeley (1994)
- MDTUMS (1987)
- President-Elect, Connecticut State Medical Society (CSMS)North Haven, United States 2020Connecticut State Medical Society (CSMS)
- President, New Haven County Medical AssociationNew Haven, United States (2017-2019)
- Scientific Director, EVRSFrance; Portugal 2014Dr Adelman was elected as the Scientific Director of European Vitreo-Retinal Society (EVRS).
- President, CSEPUnited States 2014Connecticut Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons (CSEP)
- Secretary and Executive Committee Member, EVRSGermany; Spain (2010-2014)Dr Adelman was elected as the Secretary and Executive Committee Member of European Vitreo-Retinal Society (EVRS).
- Knight of the BlindDominican Republic 2009Dr Adelman was named "Knight of the Blind" by Connecticut Lions Eye Research Foundation in recognition of “outstanding work throughout the state and in the global community.”
- Ophthalmology Twinning ProgamBrazil 2008Dr. Adelman coordinated with Dr. Brian DeBroff and Dr. Caleb Gonzalez a twinning program between the Yale Eye Center and the Sao Paulo Ophthalmology Program in Brazil. This included a joint course on the "Multspecialty Approach to the Complicated Cataract" which was been accepted as a course at the Pan American Congress. The project has been completed.
Honors & Recognition
|Senior Honor Award||American Society of Retina specialists|
|Achievement Award||American Academy of Ophthalomology|
|Knight of the Blind||Lions of Connecticut|
|Teacher of Year 2012||Yale University Eye Center|
|Fellow of the Year 2000||Harvard University, Department of Ophthalmology|
|Honor Award||American Society of Retina Specialists|
|Yale School of Medicine||Professor and Interim Chairman of Ophthalmology and Visual Science||2014 - 2016|
|Connecticut Society of Eye Physicians and Surgeons||President|
|European Vitreo-Retinal Society (EVRS)||Scientific Director|
|Yale New Haven Hospital|