Research & Publications
Diane Bruessow divides her time between academia, clinical practice, health policy and organizational governance. She is nationally certified by the NCCPA with excellence awarded in Primary Care reflecting scores within the top 5th percentile.
Bruessow has received honors, awards and legislative proclamations for academic, clinical, humanitarian, and leadership excellence. In 2019 she was honored by the New York State Society of PAs as the PA of the Year, and in 2017, she was recognized by the New Jersey State Society of PAs as the outstanding Humanitarian of the Year. She has earned the designation of Distinguished Fellow, recognizing exceptional professional achievement, leadership, professional interaction, learning, and community service by the American Academy of PAs (AAPA). Less than one percent of PAs earn this designation.
Bruessow joined the Yale University Online PA Program as an Instructor in 2018. Her faculty responsibilities include serving as a facilitator for Problem Based Learning, academic adviser, course director for Sexual and Gender Minority Health, and she participates in admissions. She also contributes to the intensive residencies where students develop hands-on skills including patient assessment and clinical procedures.
Bruessow has authored numerous articles and has been an invited speaker on health topics including workforce, policy, disparities and leadership. She has held elected and appointed positions on several boards, councils, and commissions. She currently serves on the editorial advisory board of the Transgender Health journal and as the Secretary-Treasurer of the AAPA. She is a fellow member of the AAPA, the New York State Society of PAs (NYSSPA), the New Jersey State Society of PAs (NJSSPA), the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) PA Caucus, the World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH) and the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA).
Bruessow lives in New York City and practices clinically in New York and New Jersey.
Education & Training
- MPASUniversity of Texas Rio Grande Valley, PA Studies
- BSLong Island University, Brooklyn Campus, PA Program (1993)
- BSLong Island University, CW Post Campus, Biology, Chemistry Minor (1991)
- Research PresentationWashington, United States 2019The National Conference for PA Educators
- Research PresentationNew Orleans, United States 2019GLMA's Annual Conference educates practitioners, policy advocates, educators, administrators, researchers and students - from across the health professions - about the unique needs of LGBTQ individuals and families.
- PlenaryNew Orleans, United States 2019GLMA's Annual Conference educates practitioners, policy advocates, educators, administrators, researchers and students - from across the health professions - about the unique needs of LGBTQ individuals and families.
- WPATH 24th Scientific SymposiumAmsterdam, Netherlands 2018Biennial scientific symposia sponsored by The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), formerly known as the (Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association (HBIGDA), a 501(c)(3) non-profit, interdisciplinary professional and educational organization devoted to transgender health. WPATH provides opportunities for professionals from various sub-specialties to communicate with each other in the context of research and treatment of gender dysphoria.
- Healthy TransitionsNew York, United States; Bellmore, United States; Montclair, United States; Newton, United States 2012private medical practice focused on transgender medicine across the lifespan since 2006.
Honors & Recognition
|Lifetime Achievement Award: PA of the Year||New York State Society of PAs||2019|
|Outstanding PA Humanitarian of the Year 2017||New Jersey State Society of PAs||2017|
|Distinguished Fellow||American Academy of PAs||2009|
|American Academy of PAs, Alexandria, VA||Secretary-Treasurer, Elected. Chair, Finance Committee *Fiscal oversight & review of financial matters on a regular basis, including financial position, quarterly and annual fiscal year financial statements, capital budgets, investment policy and performance, reserve funds, Form 990 and other tax forms prior to Board review and filing with the IRS; *Accounting and financial policies and procedures *Long-term financial planning *Evaluating the proposed fiscal year budgets and performance against the approved budget (operating budget of $25m) *Presenting the proposed annual budget to the full board for their consideration *Responsibility for hiring, compensation, retention and termination of investment advisors Chair, Audit Committee Member, Executive Committee Member, Executive Compensation Committee||2017 - Present|
|GLMA||Annual Medical Conference planning committee member responsible for transgender health content.||2017 - 2019|
|Transgender Health Journal||Board Member||2015 - Present|
|LGBT Health Journal||Reviewer||2015 - Present|
|Journal of the AAPA||Reviewer||2009 - Present|