Planning Our Future Together
Dear YNHHS and YSM Communities:
The last two years have seen dramatic progress in our alignment efforts. In January, Dr. Margaret McGovern assumed leadership of the Aligned Clinician Enterprise. Effective July 1, we launched a new, formulaic, and rational model for funds flow between Yale New Haven Health System (YNHHS) and Yale School of Medicine (YSM). Today, we write to provide an update on joint strategic planning efforts.
In March 2022, leaders from YNHHS and YSM began working with the consulting firm, Chartis, to articulate our shared aspiration to achieve extraordinary gains in individual, community, and global health as one of the nation's premier academic health systems.
Five Strategic Pillars
- Harness the power of our clinical and translational research enterprise to translate the latest discoveries into practice and bring leading-edge diagnostics, findings, and treatments to our patients
- Build destination service lines and programs that command national recognition, progress the field, and attract patients for highly differentiated, world-class care
- Provide access to the right service, at the right time, in the right place to achieve the highest quality of care and outcomes and to deliver a connected and frictionless experience for patients and referring physicians
- Deliver exceptional quality and value by developing an evidence-based, world-class care signature across the care continuum that further meets the highest standards of safety, equity, and the patient experience
- Foster an environment of continuous learning and innovation among students, clinicians, and staff that attracts and develops national leaders
Workgroups were convened for four of the five pillars and have been meeting.
A few months ago, we transitioned support for the destination service lines and programs pillar to a newly created internal Enterprise Strategy Office, comprising members of the YNHHS Office of Strategy Management, Yale Medicine Network Development and Strategy Department, YSM/YNHHS Finance and Communications, and others. This team will build upon the foundational work developed by Chartis, while further leveraging the institutional knowledge of key constituents from across our organizations.
Work is actively underway across the strategic pillars, and we look forward to sharing the findings and recommendations emerging from the planning process. We will be communicating regularly with you in the coming weeks and months to share our progress and seek your input as we pursue this important collaborative work.
Nancy J. Brown, MD
Jean and David W. Wallace Dean of Medicine
C.N.H. Long Professor of Internal Medicine
Christopher M. O’Connor, FACHE
Chief Executive Officer of Yale New Haven Health