Research & Publications
Diane Bruessow divides her time between scholarly work, clinical practice, health policy and organizational governance. She is nationally certified by the NCCPA with excellence awarded in Primary Care (reflecting scores within the top 5th percentile).
Bruessow has received honors, awards and legislative proclamations for academic, clinical, humanitarian, and leadership excellence - includingNew York State Society of PAs as the PA of the Year (2019), New Jersey State Society of PAs as the outstanding Humanitarian of the Year (2017), as well as thedesignation of Distinguished Fellow, recognizing exceptional professional achievement, leadership, professional interaction, learning, and community service by the American Academy of PAs (AAPA). Less than one percent of PAs earn this designation.
Bruessow joined the Yale University PA OnlineProgram in 2018. Her faculty responsibilities include serving as Course Director for Preparing Future PAs 1, facilitating Problem Based Learning 1-3, participating in Admissions and Academic Affairs Committees, and serving as an instructor in patient assessment as well as during the program's intensive residencies on skill development including patient assessment and clinical procedures. She also serves as an academic adviser to students and is the course director for a clinical rotation on Sexual and Gender Minority Health.
Bruessow has authored numerous articles and textbook chapters and has been an invited speaker on health topics including workforce, policy, disparities and leadership. She has held elected and appointed positions on national boards, councils, and commissions. She currently serves on the editorial advisory board of the Transgender Health journal and as the President-elect of the American Academy of PAs.
Bruessow lives in New York City and practices clinically in New York and New Jersey.
Education & Training
- BSLong Island University, Brooklyn Campus, PA Program (1993)
- BSLong Island University, CW Post Campus, Biology, Chemistry Minor (1991)
- MPASUniversity of Texas Rio Grande Valley, PA Studies
- 26th Annual Scientific Symposium of the World Professional Association for Transgender HealthHong Kong, Hong Kong 2020
- Speaker: Promising Practices in Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Curriculum InclusionAustin, United States 2020The hosting organization is the PA equivalent of the AAMC. This meeting, and this presentation, is remarkable for the timing; it follows the release of new accreditation standards from the ARC-PA which includes a requirement to prepare graduates to care for patients with regard for sexual orientation or gender identity, making this presentation, this year, especially meaningful to attendees.
- Toward Health Equity: Social Determinants of Health and PA EducationAustin, United States 2020The hosting organization is the PA equivalent of the AAMC. This meeting, and this presentation, is remarkable for the timing; it follows the release of new accreditation standards from the ARC-PA which includes a requirement to prepare graduates to care for patients with regard for social determinants of health, making this presentation, this year, especially meaningful to attendees.
- Research PresentationWashington, United States 2019The National Conference for PA Educators
- Research PresentationNew Orleans, United States 2019GLMA's Annual Conference educates practitioners, policy advocates, educators, administrators, researchers and students - from across the health professions - about the unique needs of LGBTQ individuals and families.
- PlenaryNew Orleans, United States 2019GLMA's Annual Conference educates practitioners, policy advocates, educators, administrators, researchers and students - from across the health professions - about the unique needs of LGBTQ individuals and families.
- WPATH 24th Scientific SymposiumAmsterdam, Netherlands 2018Biennial scientific symposia sponsored by The World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH), formerly known as the (Harry Benjamin International Gender Dysphoria Association (HBIGDA), a 501(c)(3) non-profit, interdisciplinary professional and educational organization devoted to transgender health. WPATH provides opportunities for professionals from various sub-specialties to communicate with each other in the context of research and treatment of gender dysphoria.
- Healthy TransitionsNew York, United States; Bellmore, United States; Montclair, United States; Newton, United States 2012private medical practice focused on transgender medicine across the lifespan since 2006.
Honors & Recognition
|Lifetime Achievement Award: PA of the Year||New York State Society of PAs||2019|
|Outstanding PA Humanitarian of the Year 2017||New Jersey State Society of PAs||2017|
|Distinguished Fellow||American Academy of PAs||2009|
|American Academy of PAs, Alexandria, VA||President-elect 2020-2021, President 2021-2022, Immediate Past President 2022-2023||2020 - Present|
|Academic Affairs||AAC servces as a group that reviews the academic status of students who have been referred by the Progress Committee for various concerns. AAC reviews the data submitted on students who fail to achieve satisfactory academic progress, are identified as participating in academic dishonesty, or may be involved in program or university violations.||2020 - Present|
|YSM Dean's Advisory Council onLGBTQI+ Affairs||Core members are the engine of DAC, meeting monthly to drive tasks and projects. contributed on LGBT health policy endeavors, external communications including co-author of AAFP letter on gender-affirming care in minors, invited speaker Q-Forward 2020 (canceled Covid19).||2019 - Present|
|American Academy of PAs, Alexandria, VA||Secretary-Treasurer Chair, Finance Committee *Fiscal oversight & review of financial matters on a regular basis, including financial position, quarterly and annual fiscal year financial statements, capital budgets, investment policy and performance, reserve funds, Form 990 and other tax forms prior to Board review and filing with the IRS; *Accounting and financial policies and procedures *Long-term financial planning *Evaluating the proposed fiscal year budgets and performance against the approved budget (operating budget of $25m) *Presenting the proposed annual budget to the full board for their consideration *Responsibility for hiring, compensation, retention and termination of investment advisors Chair, Audit Committee Member, Executive Committee Member, Executive Compensation Committee||2017 - 2020|
|GLMA||Annual Medical Conference planning committee member responsible for transgender health content.||2017 - 2019|
|Editorial Advisory Board, Transgender Health Journal||Board Member||2015 - Present|
|LGBT Health Journal||Reviewer||2015 - Present|
|American Academy of PAs, Alexandria, VA||Director at Large During my tenure as a Director at Large, I have also served as Chair of the Internal Affairs Committee and the External Affairs Committee.||2013 - 2017|
|Journal of the AAPA||Reviewer||2009 - Present|