Research & Publications
My undergraduate work was in animal science pre vet followed by veterinary school where my emphasis was centered on clinical laboratory animal medicine and research. My interest in mouse pathology started while in veterinary school and continued while working as an oncology scientist and attending veterinarian for a biotech company before leaving to study veterinary pathology full time. Formal training in comparative anatomic veterinary pathology followed by a graduate study pathology in cellular signaling preceded my joining Yale in 2004.
My primary role at Yale is of diagnostic and collaborative research veterinary pathology as the Director of our Comparative Pathology Research Core https://medicine.yale.edu/compmed/mrp/. The collaborations involve working closely with post doctoral research fellows and graduate students in addition to investigators on their projects within and outside of Yale.
Teaching and training people in rodent necropsy and blood collection are also part of my teaching role for the Department of Comparative Medicine.
My own research projects include:
Canine Gravid Uterine / Polyhydroallantois Ongoing 2016 - present
Genetics, pathology and physiology of excess extra fetal membrane fluid in pregnant dogs. Collaborative project with small animal veterinarians, dog breeders and team of experts within and outside of Yale.
Project Lead: Carmen J. Booth, DVM, PhD Department Comparative Medicine
Yale University, School of Medicine, New Haven CT 06510
Human & Rhesus Primate Uterine Leiomyomata 2017 - present
Comparative translational study to ascertain the mechanisms involved in fibroid development and progression in humans and non-human primates with the goal to better understand this disease and to develop novel therapeutics.
Co PI: Graciela Krikun, PhD Dept. Ob/Gyn & Rep. Sciences & Carmen J. Booth, DVM, PhD, Dpt. Comp Med.
Yale University, School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06510
WAG/RijYcb Hemophilia A rat model 2007 - present
Education & Training
- PhDUniversity of Washington (Seattle), Pathology (2005)
- Postdoctoral FellowUniversity of Washington (2003)
- Postdoctoral FellowHarvard Medical School, New England Primate Research Center (1998)
- DVMUniversity of California at Davis, School of Veterinary Medicine (1991)
- BSUniversity of California at Davis, Animal Science Pre-Vet (1987)
- Non Degree ProgramCalifornia State Polytechnic University, Animal Science Pre-Vet (1984)
- Comparison and Utility of Martius Scarlet Blue and Picro-Mallory Stains for Age dependent Differential Staining of Fibrin Post Hemorrhage in Mammalian Necropsy Cases.Zoom Presentation 202215th Annual Virtual International Veterinary Forensic Sciences Conference
- The Role of the CXCL12/CXCR4/CXCR7 Axis in Leiomyomas.Paris, IDF, France (2019-2023)Society for Reproductive Investigation.
- “Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water? Hunting the Gene for Excess Fetal Membrane Fluid in Gravid Golden Retrievers.St. Louis, MO, United States 2018National Specialty: Breeder Education Seminar
- Expression of CXCR4 in Leiomyomas from Humans and Non Human Primates.San Diego, CA, United States (2018-2023)Society for Reproductive Investigation.
- Never give up.Davis, CA, United States 2018Disability Student Services
|American Association for Laboratory Animal Science||Editorial Board||2022 - Present|
|International Veterinary Forensic Sciences Association||Member||2020 - Present|
|American College of Veterinary Radiology||Member||2018 - Present|
|Meriden Humane Society||Perform routine vaccinations, clinical examinations, and minor treatment on dogs and cats.||2018 - Present|
|American Association for Laboratory Animal Science||Member||2014 - Present|
|Molecular Cancer Therapeutics||Reviewer||2014 - Present|
|Invited Exhibitor: Women in Careers in Science and Technology for Girls Exposition||Volunteer||2012 - 2013|
|Invited Exhibitor: Discovery Museum, Bridgeport, CT Women in Careers in Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math for Celebrating Visionary Women and Extraordinary Leadership.||Volunteer||2012 - Present|
|B-flat Soprano Clarinet, Connecticut Symphonic Winds||Member||2012 - Present|
|B-flat Tenor Saxophone, Guilford Town Band||B-flat Tenor Saxophone||2012 - Present|
|Veterinary Pathology||Reviewer||2011 - Present|
|Senior High Youth Group Leader, Shoreline Unitarian Universalist Society||Volunteer||2010 - 2012|
|Steering Committee: Yale School of Medicine Bring Your Child to Work Day||Chair||2009 - 2015|
|Board of Trustees, Shoreline Unitarian Universalist Society||Member||2009 - 2012|
|Madison Interfaith Youth Coalition Youth Leader, Shoreline Unitarian Universalist Society||Volunteer||2008 - 2014|
|Youth Religious Education Committee: Shoreline Unitarian Universalist Society||Co-Chair||2008 - 2012|
|Minority Opportunity Expansion and Retention General Committee||Member||2008 - Present|
|Journal of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science||Reviewer||2006 - Present|
|Comparative Medicine||Reviewer||2006 - Present|
|American Veterinary Medical Association||Member||1991 - Present|