Research & Publications
Walter E Longo, MD, MBA , FACS, FASCRS, is one of five Yale surgeons who is board-certified specifically in colorectal cancer. He earned his medical degree from New York Medical College. He is fellowship trained and is a Board Certified General Surgeon and a Board Certified Colon and Rectal Surgeon.
Dr. Longo is committed to providing patients with the highest standards for the diagnosis and medical and surgical management of the diseases of the colon, rectum, and anus using minimally invasive techniques.
He specializes in screening and management of colon cancer; rectal cancer; anal cancer; sphincter preserving surgery; transanal removal of cancer; diverticulitis; inflammatory bowel disease; stricturoplasty; bowel resection; ostomy; polyposis syndromes and adenomatous polyps; hemorrhoids; fissures; fistulas; anal abscesses; disorders of continence; and pelvic floor disorders.
Education & Training
- MBASt. Louis University (2001)
- MDNew York Medical College (1984)
- FellowCleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, OH
- Chief ResidentYale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
- Senior ResidentYale Medical Center, New Haven, CT
- Research FellowYale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
- Junior ResidentYale University Medical Center, New Haven, CT
- InternYale University Medical Center, New Haven, CT
- Board CertificationAB of Surgery, Surgery, General (1991, recertified: 2012)
- Board CertificationAB of Colon and Rectal Surgery, Colon and Rectal Surgery (1995, recertified: 2015)
Honors & Recognition
|Connecticut Magazine Top Docs 2016||Connecticut Magazine||2016|
|Connecticut Magazine Top Docs 2015||Connecticut Magazine||2015|
|Master of Arts, Honoris Causa||Yale University, New Haven, CT||2004|
|Medical Student Class of 2003, Award in Excellence in Surgical Education||2002|
|Alpha Epsilon Delta||1975|