Research & Publications
Brian R. Smith MD is Chair of the Department of Laboratory Medicine at the Yale School of Medicine and Professor of Laboratory Medicine, Biomedical Engineering, Internal Medicine and Pediatrics at Yale University. He is also the Chief of Laboratory Medicine at Yale New Haven Hospital.
Dr. Smith received his undergraduate degree from Princeton University, his medical degree from the Harvard Medical School, and his residency/fellowship training at The Brigham & Women’s Hospital, Boston Children’s Hospital, and Dana Farber Cancer Center. He is board certified in Pathology / Hematopathology and in Internal Medicine / Hematology-Oncology. In addition to his clinical work, Dr. Smith has an investigative interest in the inflammation-coagulation interface, especially in relation to biomaterials, as well as in cellular immunotherapeutics, with over 175 publications. His educational activities include direction of an NIH-funded research training program in Immunohematology and Transfusion Medicine and he also occasionally lectures in the areas of biomedical ethics, “therapeutic pathology”, and in the education of the physician-scientist.
Education & Training
- MDHarvard University (1976)
- BAPrinceton University, Chemistry (1972)
- FellowBrigham & Women's Hospital/Dana Farber Cancer Center/Children's Hospital,Boston
- ResidentBrigham & Women's Hospital/Harvard Medical School
- Board CertificationAB of Internal Medicine, Internal Medicine (1979)
- Board CertificationAB of Internal Medicine, Hematology (Internal Medicine) (1980)
- Board CertificationAB of Internal Medicine, Medical Oncology (1981)
- Board CertificationAB of Pathology, Hematology (Pathology) (1999)
Honors & Recognition
|Evans Award for Outstanding Contributions to Laboratory Medicine||Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians & Scientists||2010|
|President, Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians & Scientists||Academy of Clinical Laboratory Physicians & Scientists||2007, 2008|