Research & Publications
Brandon Oto, PA-C, NREMT, FCCM is a critical care physician assistant in the Medical ICU at Bridgeport Hospital, and a Clinical Instructor with the Yale School of Medicine. Following his first career as an EMT, he attended the PA program at the University of New England and completed the Post-Graduate Critical Care Residency for Physician Assistants at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He has since worked clinically in medical, surgical, trauma, and neurological critical care settings.
He has chaired national committees within the Society of Critical Care Medicine and the Society of Point of Care Ultrasound, and serves on the Citizen CPR Foundation's HEARTSafe Program Advisory Committee. He has been an invited speaker for local, regional, and national events and has authored numerous educational reviews and textbook chapters.
For many years, he has taught using a variety of non-traditional digital formats, including podcasts, blogs, and social media. He founded and co-hosts the popular educational podcast Critical Care Scenarios, and manages the educational blog Critical Concepts.
He has interests in mechanical ventilation, medical education, point-of-care ultrasound, and diagnostic challenges among the critically ill.
Education & Training
- Critical Care PA ResidentJohns Hopkins Hospital (2016)
- You certainly have SOMETHING: Diagnosing the critically illNew York, NY, United States 2023Memorial Sloan Kettering 2023 Critical Care Oncology Symposium
- "Fluid and Electrolytes," "Introduction to Acid-Base"[virtual] 2022Columbia University Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program
- Prehospital Trauma and Hemorrhagic Shock[virtual] 2022Harrington Healthcare System EMS Morbidity & Mortality Conference
- "Using Data to Drive Localized Lifesaving Strategies" & "Quality Improvement and Public Reporting"San Diego, CA, United States 2021Citizen CPR Cardiac Arrest Survival Summit 2021
- Implementation StrategiesFarmington, CT, United States 2021ICU Liberation Hosted Course
- Sedation and Analgesia in the Critically IllOnline course 2021FOAMFrat Paramedic Refresher Course
- HEARTSafe Communities: The Evidentiary Basis So Far[virtual] 2020Citizen CPR Foundation Virtual Summit 2020
- "Non-Invasive Ventilation," "Intro to Acid-Base"Remote didactics, recurrent annually (2020-2022)Johns Hopkins Critical Care PA Residency
- An Overview of Shock[virtual] 2020UConn Adult Gerontology Acute Care Nurse Practitioner program
- Staying Woke: Liberating the Critically Ill from Immobility, Sedation, and DeliriumCheverly, MD, United States 2018University of Maryland Prince George's Hospital Grand Rounds
- "Abdominal Emergencies," "Altered Mental Status"Boston, MA, United States 2015Northeastern University EMT Course
Honors & Recognition
|Fellow of Critical Care Medicine||American College of Critical Care Medicine||2023|
|Presidential Citation||Society of Critical Care Medicine||2022|
|ICU Liberation Committee, Society of Critical Care Medicine||Committee Member||2023 - 2026|
|Accreditation and Learning Strategies Committee, Society of Critical Care Medicine||Chair||2023 - 2024|
|SPOCUS iScan 2022||Judge||2022 - Present|
|POCUS Guideline Committee, Society of Point of Care Ultrasound||Chair||2022 - 2023|
|Physician Assistant Section, Society of Critical Care Medicine||Member at large||2020 - 2023|
|Accreditation and Learning Strategies Committee, Society of Critical Care Medicine||Member||2019 - 2022|
|HEARTSafe Program Advisory Committee, Citizen CPR Foundation||Member||2019 - Present|