Research & Publications
Dr. John A. Persing is a doubly Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and Neurological Surgeon. He is passionate about improving the quality of life of children born with craniofacial defects and individuals affected by cancer, trauma, deformities, and aesthetic concerns. He believes that all people deserve a chance at a better life, regardless of economic and world boundaries.
Dr. Persing earned his medical degree from the University of Vermont in 1974. He has been President of the Plastic Surgery Foundation, the American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons, the Association of Academic Chairmen of Plastic Surgery, the American Association of Pediatric Plastic Surgeons, among others, and served as Chair of the American Board of Plastic Surgery. He is past President of the American Association of Plastic Surgeons, and received the Clinician of the Year Award in 2010, as well as the James Barrett Brown award for the best journal article published in Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery in 2015.
Dr. Persing has a focus on improving the quality of patients’ lives regardless of whether this is a cosmetic or reconstructive concern. His clinical interests are craniofacial deformities, vascular malformations, and cosmetic surgery of the face and body.
Connecticut Magazine named Dr. Persing among the best in the state in its annual "Top Doctors" issue in the 2016 edition, along with America's Best Doctors (Castle-Connolly) and Who's Who in Medicine.
Learn more about the Section Chief of Yale Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery.
Education & Training
- ResidentHospital of the University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA (1982)
- RegistrarFreedom Fields Hospital, Plymouth, England (1980)
- NIDR Sponsored Research FellowUniversity of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA (1977)
- ResidentHospital of the University of Virginia, Charlottesville, VA (1976)
- MDUniversity of Vermont (1974)
- ResidentHospital of the University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ (1974)
- Operation Smile - Medical Advisory Board & Volunteer SurgeonMarrakesh, Morocco; Chinandega, Nicaragua; Rajkot, India; Amman, Jordan; Shanghai, China; Empangeni, South Africa; David, Panama; Curitiba, Brazil; Parma, Italy; Bogotá, Colombia; Casablanca, Morocco; Fortaleza, Brazil; Belo Horizonte, Brazil 2003A charitable organization that provides craniofacial care worldwide.
- Interplast - Board of Directors & Volunteer SurgeonIquitos, Peru; Manaus, Brazil; Santa Cruz de la Sierra, Bolivia; Yerevan, Armenia (1986-2003)Interplast, an agency that sends physicians around the world to do charitable work.
- Virginia Children's ConnectionGiridih, India (1986-1992)Volunteer Overseas Program, Founding Director
- Pro Bono Surgical WorkVirginia Beach, United States 1986Dr Persing performs pro bono surgical work, which makes up some 35 to 40 percent of his practice at the Yale Craniofacial Program. His passion to help has brought him to Argentina, Armenia, Bolivia, Brazil, India, Jordan, Nicaragua, Panama, Peru, South Africa, among other countries to provide treatment for children with cleft lip and cleft palate.
Honors & Recognition
|James Marquis Converse Lecturer||American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons||2016|
|ASMS National Meeting Best Paper Presentation (Carolyn Chuang)||American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons||2016|
|Best Doctor||Best Doctors List of America||2015, 2016|
|Connecticut Magazine Top Doctors||Connecticut Magazine||2015, 2016|
|James Barrett Brown Award||American Association of Plastic Surgery||2015|
|ASMS National Meeting Best Paper Presentation (Jenny Yang)||American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons||2015|
|ASMS National Meeting Best Paper Presentation (AJ Forte)||American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons||2014|
|Distinguished Academic Achievement Award||University of Vermont, College of Medicine||2014|
|President||Plastic Surgery Foundation||2010|
|Clinician of the Year||American Association of Plastic Surgery||2010|
|Best Doctor||Best Doctors in New York Region||2010|
|ASMS Distinguished Service Award||American Society of Maxiollfacial Surgeons||2007|
|Chair||American Board of Plastic Surgery||2005|
|President||Association Academic Chairmen of Plastic Surgery||2004|
|President||ASMS American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons||2003|
|President||American Association Pediatric Plastic Surgery||1995|
|Bern Spiesel Award||ASMS American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons||1991, 2010|
|Donald D. Matson Award||American Association of Neurologic Surgeons||1981|
|American Counsel of Academic Plastic Surgeons||2011 - Present|
|American Society of Maxillofacial Surgeons||President|
|Plastic Surgery Foundation||President|
|American Board of Plastic Surgery||Chairperson|
|American Association of Plastic Surgeons||President|