Hamada Hamid Altalib
Research & Publications
Dr. Altalib is the Director of the Veteran Administration (VA) Epilepsy Center of Excellence in West Haven, CT, where he oversees and provides direct care for Veterans with epilepsy throughout the greater New England region. He helped established a VA Neurobehavioral clinic, which provides clinical care for Veterans who suffer from emotional distress and/or behavioral problems associated with neurological conditions (such as traumatic brain injury, stroke, and epilepsy). At Yale University he also provides care for people with neurological injury that impact emotional processing. For instance, epilepsy, traumatic brain injury, movement disorders (and their treatments) can affect brain circuits and chemistry and lead to mood, anxiety, and even psychotic disorders. Furthermore, neuropsychiatric conditions such functional movement disorder and psychogenic non-epileptic seizures are managed in his clinic.
Dr. Altalib is also the Director of the Yale Epilepsy Outcomes Research Program, in which he oversees clinical trials and cohort studies related to epilepsy interventions. In addition to seizure control outcomes, his research explores psychiatric co-morbidity of neurologic disease. He is currently the primary investigator of a studies examining the neurologic substrates of depression in people with epilepsy; the burden of psychogenic non-epileptic seizures in the Veteran population; and measuring coordination of health care using social network analysis methods.
Education & Training
- FellowshipYale University School of Medicine (2010)
- MPHNew York University, Global Health (2008)
- MPHNew York University, Global Health Epidemiology (2008)
- ResidencyNew York University (2008)
- InternCook County Hospital, Chicago, IL (2002)
- DOMichigan State University (2001)
- BAUniversity of Michigan, Psychology (1996)
- Epilepsy and Mental HealthDoha, Doha, Qatar 20187th Annual Qatar International Mental Health Conference
- Overcoming Mental Health Programming Challenges in the Middle EastAl Ain, Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates 2009Global Health and the United ArabEmirates (UAE)
Honors & Recognition
|Fellow||American Epilepsy Society||2017|