VA Connecticut Health Care System: Diagnostic Imaging
|West Haven VA Medical Center, Bldg 1
950 Campbell Ave, West Haven, CT 06516
Administrative/Contact Officer, Karen Severino
Admin Assistant, Barbara Pawlowicz
The VA Diagnostic Imaging Service provides imaging consultation and diagnostic procedures for the VA Connecticut Health Care System, with imaging centers at the West Haven Campus and Newington Campus. We provide services to Primary Care, Subspecialty Clinics and In-patients. We perform 70,000 examinations annually, including general and emergency radiography, fluoroscopy, multislice Computed Tomography, MRI, Ultrasound, Bone Densitometry, Angiography and interventional procedures, nuclear medicine and PET imaging with cyclotron facilities. Our department has a Kodak PACs system, and is filmless. Access to our network is through specialized workstations in key clinics, wards, and ER, and access via desktop (currently through VistaImaging) will shortly be upgraded to a web-based access through thin clients within the medical centers, and off-site through a secure VPN network.
The VA offers unique opportunity for clinical research through HIC approved access to the electronic medical record and radiology imaging resources, and multidisciplinary collaboration (examples include protocol for carotid stenting, aorto-iliac stent-grafts, cardiac imaging).
We have added two faculty in Nuclear Medicine, two in cross sectional and one in interventional radiology in the past two years. Our faculty’s scope of practice includes general and cross-sectional imaging, nuclear medicine, neuroradiology, and angiography. Many YDR radiology faculty retain privileges at the VA Medical center, and VA faculty provide clinical services at YNHH. Our expertise is directed toward a complex spectrum of disease in the patient population, which includes those suffering from chronic lung disease, atherosclerosis, renal and cardiac disease, often in addition to neoplastic conditions, endocrine dysfunction, and acute and chronic conditions of the abdomen. 15% of veterans are estimated to be carriers of chronic HCV, and we are involved in screening at risk patients.
Residency program: Joint residency program with Yale New Haven in Diagnostic Radiology (3 residents PGY2-4) and Nuclear Medicine (1). Fellowship participation in angiography/interventional (including non-invasive vascular imaging) and neuroradiology. Residents are offered experience in chest, GI and GU radiology, cross sectional imaging including multidetector CT, neuro and body MR, and will be offered training in 3 D reconstruction techniques. Two members of our faculty are appointed to the residency selection committee. We offer a radiology teaching module to students in YSM Internal Medicine, PA students and external students.
- Virtual colonoscopy
- Use of cross sectional imaging in screening and evaluation of liver disease and focal masses; contrast agents in ultrasound, particularly in screening /evaluating liver lesions,
- Efficacy of screening and treatment of lung and other neoplasia, vascular stents, non-invasive coronary artery imaging.
- CT and MRI cardiac imaging
- Non-invasive vascular imaging
- 3-D imaging
- oncology imaging
- PACs and relational database research
- Cryotherapy of renal masses
- Automated Test-Item Generation System for Retrieval Practice in Radiology Education.Gunabushanam G, Taylor CR, Mathur M, Bokhari J, Scoutt LM. Acad Radiol. 2019 Jun; 2018 Oct 10. PMID: 30316703.
- Accessible Personal Ultrasound Training Simulator.Gunabushanam G, Nautsch F, Mills I, Scoutt LM. J Ultrasound Med. 2019 Jun; 2018 Sep 12. PMID: 30208244.
- Vertebral Artery Ultrasound.Gunabushanam G, Kummant L, Scoutt LM. Radiol Clin North Am. 2019 May; 2019 Feb 21. PMID: 30928075.
- Carotid Ultrasound.Scoutt LM, Gunabushanam G. Radiol Clin North Am. 2019 May; 2019 Feb 22. PMID: 30928074.
- Prolonged Response to Pembrolizumab in Spindle Cell Squamous Cell Carcinoma Metastatic to the Central Nervous System.Liu Y, Fitzgerald B, Perry E, Pathak A, Chao HH. J Investig Med High Impact Case Rep. 2019 Jan-Dec. PMID: 31132886.
- Comparison of Natural Language Processing and Manual Coding for the Identification of Cross-Sectional Imaging Reports Suspicious for Lung Cancer.Wadia R, Akgun K, Brandt C, Fenton BT, Levin W, Marple AH, Garla V, Rose MG, Taddei T, Taylor C. JCO Clin Cancer Inform. 2018 Dec. PMID: 30652545.
- Man Versus Machine: Does Automated Computer Density Measurement Add Value?Elmore JG, Wruble J. Ann Intern Med. 2018 Jun 5; 2018 May 1. PMID: 29710227.
- Computer-assisted detection of tardus parvus waveforms on Doppler ultrasound.Gunabushanam G, Millet JD, Stilp E, Crawford FW, McNamara RL, Scoutt LM. Ultrasound. 2018 May; 2017 Dec 12. PMID: 30013608.
- Lung Nodule Detection via Deep Reinforcement Learning.Ali I, Hart GR, Gunabushanam G, Liang Y, Muhammad W, Nartowt B, Kane M, Ma X, Deng J. Front Oncol. 2018; 2018 Apr 16. PMID: 29713615.
- Assessment of Pulmonary Edema: Principles and Practice.Assaad S, Kratzert WB, Shelley B, Friedman MB, Perrino A Jr. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2018 Apr; 2017 Aug 19. PMID: 29174750.
- Sonographic Evaluation of Complications of Extracranial Carotid Artery Interventions.Millet JD, Cavallo JJ, Scoutt LM, Gunabushanam G. J Ultrasound Med. 2018 Mar; 2017 Sep 6. PMID: 28877355.
- Prevalence and variability in reporting of clinically actionable incidental findings on attenuation-correction CT scans in a veteran population.He BJ, Malm BJ, Carino M, Sadeghi MM. J Nucl Cardiol. 2018 Feb 28; 2018 Feb 28. PMID: 29492838.
- Effect of Radiology Study Flow on Report Turnaround Time.Rathnayake S, Nautsch F, Goodman TR, Forman HP, Gunabushanam G. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2017 Dec; 2017 Oct 5. PMID: 28981363.
- Effective Radiology Reporting.Ware JB, Jha S, Hoang JK, Baker S, Wruble J. J Am Coll Radiol. 2017 Jun; 2017 Apr 21. PMID: 28434849.
- The Role of Report Comparison, Analysis, and Discrepancy Categorization in Resident Education.Harari AA, Conti MB, Bokhari SA, Staib LH, Taylor CR. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2016 Dec; 2016 Sep 22. PMID: 27657361.
- Protective altruistic phlebotomy: hereditary haemochromatosis presenting as hepatocellular carcinoma in a non-cirrhotic 83-year-old man.Ooka K, Onyiuke I, Zhang X, Taddei TH. BMJ Case Rep. 2016 Sep 2; 2016 Sep 2. PMID: 27591041.
- Ureteral Stones: Implementation of a Reduced-Dose CT Protocol in Patients in the Emergency Department with Moderate to High Likelihood of Calculi on the Basis of STONE Score.Moore CL, Daniels B, Singh D, Luty S, Gunabushanam G, Ghita M, Molinaro A, Gross CP. Radiology. 2016 Sep; 2016 Mar 4. PMID: 26943230.
- Diagnosing osteomyelitis in the diabetic foot: a pilot study to examine the sensitivity and specificity of Tc(99m) white blood cell-labelled single photon emission computed tomography/computed tomography.Przybylski MM, Holloway S, Vyce SD, Obando A. Int Wound J. 2016 Jun; 2014 Jun 26. PMID: 24976368.
- A phase Ib multiple ascending dose study of the safety, tolerability, and central nervous system availability of AZD0530 (saracatinib) in Alzheimer's disease.Nygaard HB, Wagner AF, Bowen GS, Good SP, MacAvoy MG, Strittmatter KA, Kaufman AC, Rosenberg BJ, Sekine-Konno T, Varma P, Chen K, Koleske AJ, Reiman EM, Strittmatter SM, van Dyck CH. Alzheimers Res Ther. 2015; 2015 Apr 14. PMID: 25874001.
- Accuracy of reduced-dose computed tomography for ureteral stones in emergency department patients.Moore CL, Daniels B, Ghita M, Gunabushanam G, Luty S, Molinaro AM, Singh D, Gross CP. Ann Emerg Med. 2015 Feb; 2014 Nov 4. PMID: 25441242.
- A practical approach to interpreting lower extremity noninvasive physiologic studies.McCann TE, Scoutt LM, Gunabushanam G. Radiol Clin North Am. 2014 Nov; 2014 Aug 27. PMID: 25444110.
- Implementation of an electronic clinical reminder to improve rates of lung cancer screening.Federman DG, Kravetz JD, Lerz KA, Akgun KM, Ruser C, Cain H, Anderson EF, Taylor C. Am J Med. 2014 Sep; 2014 Apr 24. PMID: 24769298.
- Hepatic involvement of hereditary hemorrhagic telangiectasia: evaluation with ultrasound.McCann TE, Scoutt LM, Gunabushanam G. Ultrasound Q. 2014 Sep. PMID: 25148498.
- Radiation dose index of renal colic protocol CT studies in the United States: a report from the American College of Radiology National Radiology Data Registry.Lukasiewicz A, Bhargavan-Chatfield M, Coombs L, Ghita M, Weinreb J, Gunabushanam G, Moore CL. Radiology. 2014 May; 2014 Jan 27. PMID: 24484064.
- ¹¹¹In-DTPA cisternography with SPECT/CT for the evaluation of normal pressure hydrocephalus.Thut DP, Kreychman A, Obando JA. J Nucl Med Technol. 2014 Mar; 2014 Jan 24. PMID: 24463341.
- Primary gynecologic lymphoma: imaging findings.Onyiuke I, Kirby AB, McCarthy S. AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2013 Oct. PMID: 24059405.
- Semi-supervised clinical text classification with Laplacian SVMs: an application to cancer case management.Garla V, Taylor C, Brandt C. J Biomed Inform. 2013 Oct; 2013 Jul 8. PMID: 23845911.
- A trial of discontinuation of empiric vancomycin therapy in patients with suspected methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus health care-associated pneumonia.Boyce JM, Pop OF, Abreu-Lanfranco O, Hung WY, Fisher A, Karjoo A, Thompson B, Protopapas Z. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2013 Mar; 2012 Dec 17. PMID: 23254432.
- Complications following vascular procedures in the upper extremities: a sonographic pictorial review.Millet JD, Gunabushanam G, Ojili V, Rubens DJ, Scoutt LM. Ultrasound Q. 2013 Mar. PMID: 23358215.
- Incidence of encapsulating peritoneal sclerosis: a single-center experience with long-term peritoneal dialysis in the United States.Gayomali C, Hussein U, Cameron SF, Protopapas Z, Finkelstein FO. Perit Dial Int. 2011 May-Jun. PMID: 21555415.
- Apolipoprotein E epsilon4 is associated with atrophy of the amygdala in Alzheimer's disease.Basso M, Gelernter J, Yang J, MacAvoy MG, Varma P, Bronen RA, van Dyck CH. Neurobiol Aging. 2006 Oct; 2005 Sep 22. PMID: 16182410.
- Volumetry of amygdala and hippocampus and memory performance in Alzheimer's disease.Basso M, Yang J, Warren L, MacAvoy MG, Varma P, Bronen RA, van Dyck CH. Psychiatry Res. 2006 Apr 30; 2006 Mar 9. PMID: 16524704.
- Primary non-Hodgkin's lymphoma of the liver.Noronha V, Shafi NQ, Obando JA, Kummar S. Crit Rev Oncol Hematol. 2005 Mar. PMID: 15718146.
- Kenneth J. Taylor, MD, PhD, FACP, 1939-2003, pioneer of diagnostic ultrasound imaging.Taylor CR, Holland CK. J Ultrasound Med. 2003 Jun. PMID: 12795566.
- Integrating query of relational and textual data in clinical databases: a case study.Fisk JM, Mutalik P, Levin FW, Erdos J, Taylor C, Nadkarni P. J Am Med Inform Assoc. 2003 Jan-Feb. PMID: 12509355.