|P.O. Box 208042, MRC 147
New Haven, CT 06520-8042
Admin Assistant, Susan Finkle
The Section of Musculoskeletal (MSK) Imaging is made up of seven full-time MSK trained radiologists. Radiologists and staff are highly trained and subspecialized to offer the best care to our patients. We work closely with the orthopedic, rheumatology and oncology colleagues providing a multidisciplinary approach to patients with musculoskeletal diseases.
Yale Musculoskeletal Imaging performs a complete and comprehensive range of imaging from plain film to CT, and MRI. Our service covers a variety of MSK disorders including trauma, arthritis, joint replacements, pediatrics, foot and ankle, spine, and sports medicine. We perform therapeutic and diagnostic injections in the form of MR arthrography. We have developed a large MSK interventional service in which we perform bone and soft tissues biopsies as well as bone marrow aspirations. The vast majority of our biopsies are performed with our nursing staff under moderate sedation to provide optimal comfort for our patients.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) arthrography
- Sports injuries
- High resolution imaging of small joints such as the ankle, elbow and wrist
- CT imaging of orthopedic trauma
- Interventional bone biopsy
- MSK disorders including trauma and arthritis
- Joint replacements
Our staff is nationally recognized for leadership in MSK imaging with publications in top journals and lectures at national meetings.
Our faculty have a strong commitment to education which is practiced with lectures and clinical rotations for both the medical students at Yale University School of Medicine and radiology residents at Yale-New Haven Hospital. There is a dedicated MSK imaging fellowship which hosts three fellows per year.
- Update of pediatric bone tumors-notochordal tumors, chondrogenic tumors, and vascular tumors of the bone.Lee H, Wang A, Cheng R, Moran J, Al-Dasuqi K, Irshaid L, Maloney E, Porrino J. Skeletal Radiol. 2023 Jun; 2022 Nov 11. PMID: 36369290.
- The Fascia Lata and Iliotibial Band: an imaging overview of iliotibial band syndromes.Porrino J, Kent R, Kani K, Maloney E. PM R. 2023 Apr 18; 2023 Apr 18. PMID: 37071926.
- "Tennis leg": An update with emphasis on the imaging evaluation.Porrino J, Kent R, Haims A, Kani K, Lee H. PM R. 2023 Apr 7; 2023 Apr 7. PMID: 37029466.
- Examining the Distribution of Bone Bruise Patterns in Contact and Noncontact Acute Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injuries.Moran J, Lee MS, Kunze KN, Green JS, Katz LD, Wang A, McLaughlin WM, Gillinov SM, Jimenez AE, Hewett TE, LaPrade RF, Medvecky MJ. Am J Sports Med. 2023 Apr; 2023 Mar 3. PMID: 36867053.
- Spectrum of imaging findings in soft-tissue necrosis.Porrino J, Liu X, Kani K, Lee H. Emerg Radiol. 2023 Apr; 2023 Jan 10. PMID: 36626029.
- Update of pediatric bone tumors: osteogenic tumors and osteoclastic giant cell-rich tumors.Al-Dasuqi K, Cheng R, Moran J, Irshaid L, Maloney E, Porrino J. Skeletal Radiol. 2023 Apr; 2022 Nov 3. PMID: 36326880.
- Three-Dimensional Printing of the Patellofemoral Joints of Patellar Instability Patients.Beitler BG, Yu KE, Wang A, Frumberg DB, Tommasini SM, Wiznia DH, Cooperman DR, Lattanza LL, Fulkerson JP. Arthrosc Tech. 2023 Mar; 2023 Feb 27. PMID: 37013007.
- Over One-Third of Patients With Multiligament Knee Injuries and an Intact Anterior Cruciate Ligament Demonstrate Medial Meniscal Ramp Lesions on Magnetic Resonance Imaging.Moran J, Schneble CA, Katz LD, Jimenez AE, McLaughlin WM, Vasavada K, Wang A, Kunze KN, Chahla J, LaPrade RF, Alaia MJ, Medvecky MJ. Arthroscopy. 2023 Mar; 2022 Nov 17. PMID: 36575108.
- Paraneoplastic musculoskeletal disorders: review and update for radiologists.Khalatbari Kani K, Porrino JA, Mulligan ME, Chew FS. Skeletal Radiol. 2023 Mar; 2022 May 23. PMID: 35604445.
- Examining Preoperative MRI for Medial Meniscal Ramp Lesions in Patients Surgically Treated for Acute Grade 3 Combined Posterolateral Corner Knee Injury.Moran J, Jimenez AE, Katz LD, Wang A, McLaughlin WM, Gillinov SM, Patel RR, Kunze KN, Hewett TE, Alaia MJ, LaPrade RF, Medvecky MJ. Orthop J Sports Med. 2023 Feb; 2023 Feb 3. PMID: 36756171.
- Update of pediatric bone tumors-other mesenchymal tumors of bone, hematopoietic neoplasms of bone, and WHO classification of undifferentiated small round cell sarcomas of bone.Wang A, Maloney E, Al-Dasuqi K, Irshaid L, Ahmed A, Haims A, Porrino J. Skeletal Radiol. 2023 Jan 19; 2023 Jan 19. PMID: 36656343.
- Reconceptualization of Trochlear Dysplasia in Patients With Recurrent Patellar Dislocation Using 3-Dimensional Models.Yu KE, Cooperman DR, Schneble CA, McLaughlin W, Beitler B, Kaliney R, Wang A, Fulkerson JP. Orthop J Sports Med. 2022 Nov; 2022 Nov 21. PMID: 36458105.
- Meniscal Allograft Transplantation: A Pictorial Review.Kani KK, Porrino JA, Chew FS. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2022 Sep-Oct; 2021 Oct 30. PMID: 34836722.
- Acute Common Iliac Artery Occlusion Secondary to Blunt Abdominal Trauma From Motor Vehicle Accident.Agarwal KK, Gunduru M, Chaudhri M, Costanzo E, Daruwalla VJ. Cureus. 2022 Aug; 2022 Aug 22. PMID: 36158365.
- Posteromedial tibial plateau bone bruises are associated with medial meniscal ramp lesions in patients with concomitant anterior cruciate ligament ruptures: a systematic review & meta-analysis.Green JS, Moran J, Marcel A, Joo PY, McLaughlin WM, Manzi JE, Yalcin S, Wang A, Porrino J, Jimenez AE, Medvecky MJ, Katz LD. Phys Sportsmed. 2022 Aug 5; 2022 Aug 5. PMID: 35915996.
- Displaced post-traumatic fat: A pictorial review.Kani KK, Porrino JA. PM R. 2022 Jul; 2022 Apr 30. PMID: 35347863.
- An Imaging Overview of the Posterior Septum of the Knee and Trans-Septal Portal Procedure: Normal Anatomy, Indications, and Unique Imaging Considerations.Moran J, Porrino J, Cheng R, Schneble CA, Kahan JB, Molho DA, Katz L, Miller MD, Medvecky MJ. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2022 Jul-Aug; 2021 Jun 11. PMID: 34217559.
- Low-velocity, civilian firearm extremity injuries-review and update for radiologists.Kani KK, Porrino JA, Chew FS. Skeletal Radiol. 2022 Jun; 2021 Oct 30. PMID: 34718857.
- Acute Surgical Repair of Simultaneous Bilateral Proximal Hamstring Tendon Avulsion: A Case Report.Green JS, Moran J, Kahan JB, McLaughlin WM, Wang A, Medvecky MJ. JBJS Case Connect. 2022 Apr 1; 2022 May 18. PMID: 36099532.
- Examining the Bone Bruise Patterns in Multiligament Knee Injuries With Peroneal Nerve Injury.Moran J, Schneble CA, Katz LD, Fosam A, Wang A, Li DT, Kahan JB, McLaughlin WM, Jokl P, Hewett TE, LaPrade RF, Medvecky MJ. Am J Sports Med. 2022 May; 2022 Apr 6. PMID: 35384729.