Research & Publications
Dr. Brian DeBroff specializes in cataract and IOL implantation surgery. He has particular clinical and research interests in Femtosecond Laser Assisted Cataract Surgery, Optiwave Refractive Analysis using intraoperative wave front analysis for optimizing refractive results with implant surgery, multifocal and EDOF IOL’s after cataract surgery. He is a preceptor to train other Ophthalmologists in the Catalys Precision Laser Cataract System. He was appointed Director of cataract and IOL implant surgery at the Department of Ophthalmology and Visual Science at the Yale School of Medicine in 1999.
Dr. DeBroff graduated from the Tufts University School of Medicine where he was inducted in the Sir William Osler and Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Societies. He is Vice Chairman of Yale Ophthalmology, Director of Faculty Affairs, and serves on the Board of Permanent Officers at Yale University. He has held positions at Yale including Chief of Ophthalmology, VA Connecticut, Chief of Ophthalmology Yale New Haven Health/Bridgeport, and Residency Program Director. He was presented with the Yale Resident Teaching Award in 1998 and 2008. Dr. DeBroff has over 100 publications including a book on phacoemulsification cataract surgery, and he has written seven book chapters and has lectured nationally and internationally. He is Editor-in-Chief of Advances in Ophth & Visual Sys https://medcraveonline.com/AOV... and is on the editorial board/Senior Reviewer for the Journal of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, Archives of Ophthalmology, and British Journal of Ophthalmology and Dr. DeBroff was inducted in the IIIC (International Intra-Ocular Implant Society) https://www.iiiclub.org/missio...founded by Sir Harold Ridley and has received awards by Best Doctors, Castle Connolly, Connecticut Magazine, and New York Magazine. He was recently inducted in: Best Cataract Surgeons in America (https://bestcataractsurgeons.c...).
Education & Training
- MDTufts University (1989)
- BSTufts University (1985)
- Cataract Surgical TechniquesHyderabad, TG, India 2022Ophthalmology Twinning Program
- Distressed Children and Infants InternationalDhaka, Dhaka Division, Bangladesh 2009President and Founder
- Ophthalmology Residency Program in the BahamasBahamas 2008Dr. DeBroff is coordinating a ophthalmology residency program at Princess Margaret Hospital in Nassau, the Bahamas. The Department of Ophthalmology holds four rotations each year, one for each senior resident. The residents provide eye care to the local population, working with a Bahamian attending physician and a Yale ophthalmologist who travels there for one week during the rotation.
- Ophthalmology Twinning ProgamBrazil 2008Dr DeBroff was coordinating a twinning program between the Yale Eye Center and the São Paulo Ophthalmology Progam in Brazil. This included a joint course on the "Multspecialty Approach to the Complicated Cataract" which was been accepted as a course at the Pan American Congress. The project has been completed.