Bohdan Pomahac, MD
Research & Publications
Dr. Bohdan Pomahac is Division Chief of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. Dr. Pomahac joined the Yale Surgery and Smilow Cancer Hospital community from Brigham and Women’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School, where he was the Roberta and Stephen R. Weiner Distinguished Chair in Surgery and Director of Vascular Composite Allograft Transplantation program.
A pioneer in his field, Dr. Pomahac’s team performed the first three full-face transplant procedures in the United States, and the first successful bilateral upper extremity transplantation in the Northeast. Dr. Pomahac made Brigham and Women’s Hospital the world leader in vascularized composite transplantation completing 10 face and 3 bilateral hand transplants.
Dr. Pomahac’s expertise adds to a growing portfolio of destination programs in the Division of Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery at Yale, which has grown into a multidisciplinary enterprise—with novel programs across Connecticut, including wound healing, craniofacial surgery, melanoma treatment, targeted muscle reinnervation, breast reconstruction, and cutting-edge research in machine learning and 3D printing.
Education & Training
- Chief ResidentBrigham and Women’s Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Children’s Hospital Boston, Shriners Hospital Boston (2004)
- ResidentBrigham and Women’s Hospital, Massachusetts General Hospital, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, Children’s Hospital Boston, Shriners Hospital Boston (2003)
- ResidentBrigham & Women’s Hospital, Faulkner Hospital, West Roxbury VA Medical Center (2001)
- Research FellowBrigham and Women’s Hospital (1998)
- MDPalacky University School of Medicine
Honors & Recognition
|Frank F Kanthak Professor of Surgery||Yale School of Medicine||2023|
|Gratias Agit Award||2019|
|Roberta and Stephen R Weiner Distinguished Chair in Surgery||Brigham and Women’s Hospital||2017|
|Sushruta Guha Professorship in Plastic Surgery and Wound Healing||The Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh||2016|
|Medal of Honor – Awarded by the President of the Czech Republic||2015|