Apply to PhD in Epidemiology
The GEOHealth-MENA program offers a PhD in Epidemiology, with a focus on environmental and occupational health (EOH), at the Faculty of Health Sciences (FHS) of the American University of Beirut (AUB) . The program is accredited by the Council on Education for Public Health (CEPH).
Applications are open now for the Spring semester of AY 2022-2023. Accepted applicants shall start in January 2023.
Who can apply to the GEOHealth-MENA PhD Program?
Who is Eligible?
To be eligible for admission to the PhD in Epidemiology program, a candidate must:
- Hold a master’s degree in Epidemiology or in a relevant discipline such as public health, nursing, statistics and health informatics, pharmacy, biological sciences and others, from AUB or other recognized institution of higher learning.
- Have an outstanding cumulative average, acceptable to the appropriate faculty graduate committee. A minimum cumulative course average of 85 over 100, or its equivalent, is required for admission
- GRE IS WAIVED FOR APPLICATIONS 2022
- Demonstrate English proficiency as stipulated in the University Graduate Catalogue for requirement for admission into PhD studies
- An interview in person will be undertaken by the PhD Program committee for applicants who meet the minimum admission requirements
The GEOHealth-MENA PhD Program requires the completion of 27.5 credit hours of course work beyond the master’s degree and 24 credit hours of thesis work at the American University of Beirut Faculty of Health Sciences.
PhD candidates will also be engaged with ongoing research on refugee agricultural workers and will spend six months of research training at Yale University and the University of Iowa in the US.
GEOHealth-MENA seeks to form a cohort of trainees that is rich in diversity of ethnic backgrounds, prior training, and gender representation. The program is open to those with basic science, public health, and clinical interests.. The process for trainee selection is as follows:
- Applicants must apply for graduate admission through the AUB online graduate admissions portal.
- AUB’s Application Requirements:
- Official transcripts and certified copies of degrees and certificates from previous universities
- Official GRE scores on the general component (GRE IS WAIVED FOR APPLICATIONS 2022)
- Demonstrate English proficiency, as stipulated in the University Graduate Catalogue for admission into PhD studies
- Letters of recommendation (a minimum of three letters)
- Personal statement outlining interest in the program of study including research interests and experience
- An updated CV
- Application Fees ($50)
- GEOHealth-MENA’s Application Requirements:
- Applicants must submit personal statement that clearly explains one’s interest in EOH and addresses future plans for a career in this field to GEOHEALTH.MENA@yale.edu.
- Interviews: Selected applicants may be invited for a video interview by the selection committee.