Our faculty engage in cutting edge research on diverse and emerging topics of importance in Global Health, primarily in Low- and Middle-Income Countries (LMICs). Our current research priorities include:
- Impact of trauma and injury in LMICs
- Emergency care systems development in LMICs
- Controlling non-communicable diseases in East Africa
- Developing effective palliative care in low-income countries due to reduce suffering and medical impoverishment
- Humanitarian health and the health impacts of war and conflict
- Representation of patients with non-English language preferences in motor vehicle collision trauma and emergency medicine research.Smith M, Tibbetts C, Agrawal P, Cordone A, Leff R, Smith RN, Moran TP, Brackett A, Zeidan A. Inj Prev. 2023 Jun; 2023 Feb 28. PMID: 36854627.
- A Legacy in Emergency Medicine: Remembering Gloria Kuhn, DO, PhD, FACEP.Lall MD, Sethuraman KN, Agrawal P, Clem KJ, Madsen TE, Poznanski S, Safdar B, Watts S, Choo E. Acad Emerg Med. 2023 May 23; 2023 May 23. PMID: 37221923.
- Provider-identified barriers to performance at seven Nigerian accident & emergency units: A cross-sectional study.Muhammad MI, Umoga K, Acquaye A, Fleischer B, Konkwo C, Ogunyemi KO, Ngaruiya C. PLOS Glob Public Health. 2023; 2023 May 22. PMID: 37216332.
- A response to: "The termination of an ectopic pregnancy is not an abortion".Samuels-Kalow ME, Agrawal P, Rodriguez G, Zeidan A, Love JS, Monette D, Lin M, Cooper RJ, Madsen TE, Dobiesz V. Acad Emerg Med. 2023 Mar 14; 2023 Mar 14. PMID: 36916860.
- The interrelationship between food security, climate change, and gender-based violence: A scoping review with system dynamics modeling.Agrawal P, Post LA, Glover J, Hersey D, Oberoi P, Biroscak B. PLOS Glob Public Health. 2023; 2023 Feb 24. PMID: 36962962.
- A response to "Post-Roe emergency medicine: Important considerations for adolescents".Samuels-Kalow ME, Agrawal P, Rodriguez G, Zeidan A, Love JS, Monette D, Lin M, Cooper RJ, Madsen TE, Dobiesz V. Acad Emerg Med. 2023 Feb 10; 2023 Feb 10. PMID: 36762871.
- The Beirut ammonium nitrate blast: A multicenter study to assess injury characteristics and outcomes.Al-Hajj S, Farran SH, Zgheib H, Tfaily MA, Halaoui A, Wehbe S, Karam S, Fadlallah Y, Fahd F, Toufaili L, Arjinian S, Al-Zaghrini E, Al Hariri M, El Hussein M, Souaiby N, Mowafi H, Mufarrij AJ. J Trauma Acute Care Surg. 2023 Feb 1; 2022 Aug 24. PMID: 35999664.
- Limited English Proficiency as a Barrier to Inclusion in Emergency Medicine-Based Clinical Stroke Research.Zeidan AJ, Smith M, Leff R, Cordone A, Moran TP, Brackett A, Agrawal P. J Immigr Minor Health. 2023 Feb; 2022 Jun 2. PMID: 35652977.
- Stroke care in Armenia: Recent developments.Yeghiazaryan N, Isahakyan A, Zubalova L, Hovhannisyan Y, Sahakyan G, Chekijian S, Khachatryan SG, Skon Muratoglu M, Aghasaryan M, Babikian VL. Eur Stroke J. 2023 Jan; 2022 Jul 12. PMID: 36793742.
- Integrating crisis leadership in academic medicine.Chekijian S, Hertelendy A, McNulty E, Ciottone GR. BMJ Lead. 2022 Dec; 2022 Mar 28. PMID: 36794603.
- When women win, we all win-Call for a gendered global NCD agenda.Ngaruiya C. FASEB Bioadv. 2022 Dec; 2022 Nov 25. PMID: 36479209.
- Hybrid warfare and public health: Conflicts in Ukraine and Nagorno-Karabakh raise the alarm.Kricorian K, Khoshnood K, Chekijian S. Public Health Pract (Oxf). 2022 Dec; 2022 Nov 11. PMID: 36420420.
- Post-Roe emergency medicine: Policy, clinical, training, and individual implications for emergency clinicians.Samuels-Kalow ME, Agrawal P, Rodriguez G, Zeidan A, Love JS, Monette D, Lin M, Cooper RJ, Madsen TE, Dobiesz V. Acad Emerg Med. 2022 Dec; 2022 Nov 3. PMID: 36268814.
- Prevalence and correlates of depression and substance use disorders in emergency department populations: A cross-sectional study at East Africa's largest public hospital.Iheanacho T, Maciejewski KR, Ogudebe F, Chumo F, Slade T, Leff R, Ngaruiya C. Afr J Emerg Med. 2022 Dec; 2022 Jul 20. PMID: 35892005.
- Early palliative care in newly diagnosed cancer in Ethiopia: feasibility randomised controlled trial and cost analysis.Reid EA, Abathun E, Diribi J, Mamo Y, Wondemagegnhu T, Hall P, Fallon M, Grant L. BMJ Support Palliat Care. 2022 Nov 22; 2022 Nov 22. PMID: 36414402.
- Health services access, utilization, and barriers for Arabic-speaking refugees resettled in Connecticut, USA.Elreichouni A, Aly S, Maciejewski K, Salem I, Ghossein N, Mankash MS, Dziura J, Mowafi H. BMC Health Serv Res. 2022 Nov 11; 2022 Nov 11. PMID: 36369007.
- Factors impacting trauma-specific quality of life following injury: A multi-center assessment in Lebanon.Elreichouni A, Al-Hajj S, Maciejewski KR, Ariss AB, Mowafi H. Injury. 2022 Oct; 2022 Aug 8. PMID: 35970634.
- Patient preferences for facility-based management of hypertension and diabetes in rural Uganda: a discrete choice experiment.Moor SE, Tusubira AK, Wood D, Akiteng AR, Galusha D, Tessier-Sherman B, Donroe EH, Ngaruiya C, Rabin TL, Hawley NL, Armstrong-Hough M, Nakirya BD, Nugent R, Kalyesubula R, Nalwadda C, Ssinabulya I, Schwartz JI. BMJ Open. 2022 Jul 21; 2022 Jul 21. PMID: 35863829.
- A Qualitative Study of "What Matters" to Older Adults in the Emergency Department.Gettel CJ, Venkatesh AK, Dowd H, Hwang U, Ferrigno RF, Reid EA, Tinetti ME. West J Emerg Med. 2022 Jul 1; 2022 Jul 1. PMID: 35980413.
- How we compare: Society for Academic Emergency Medicine faculty membership demographics.Bennett CL, Ling AY, Agrawal P, Pierce A, Pasao MA, Ray D, Cleveland Manchanda EC. AEM Educ Train. 2022 Jun; 2022 Jun 23. PMID: 35783079.
- Systematic review on chronic non-communicable disease in disaster settings.Ngaruiya C, Bernstein R, Leff R, Wallace L, Agrawal P, Selvam A, Hersey D, Hayward A. BMC Public Health. 2022 Jun 21; 2022 Jun 21. PMID: 35729507.
- Neurotrauma in the Syrian War: analysis of 41,143 cases from July 2013-July 2015.Fatima N, Mowafi H, Hariri M, Alnahhas H, Al-Kassem A, Saqqur M. Neurol Sci. 2022 Jun; 2022 Jan 12. PMID: 35018549.
- Meeting expectations: An exploration of academic emergency medicine faculty experiences and preferences in the virtual meeting environment by age, gender and parental status.Goldflam K, Crichton IC, Coughlin RF, Bod J, Agrawal P, Bradby C, Tsyrulnik A. AEM Educ Train. 2022 Apr; 2022 Apr 1. PMID: 35368503.
- Advanced practice providers in academic emergency medicine: A national survey of chairs and program directors.Carpenter CR, Abrams S, Courtney DM, Dorner SC, Dyne P, Elia T, Jourdan DN, Kaji AH, Martin IBK, Mills AM, Nagasawa K, Pillow M, Reznek M, Starnes A, Temin E, Wolfe R, Chekijian S. Acad Emerg Med. 2022 Feb; 2021 Dec 17. PMID: 34860436.
- Refugee and Migrant Health Literacy Interventions in High-Income Countries: A Systematic Review.Fox S, Kramer E, Agrawal P, Aniyizhai A. J Immigr Minor Health. 2022 Feb; 2021 Feb 25. PMID: 33634370.