Since 2017, the faculty have published greater than 50 academic articles on topics including predictive analytics and machine learning in the ED setting, safety risks during inter-hospital patient care transitions, quality of care for septic shock patients, and adverse patient outcomes associated with ED boarding. Drs. Ulrich, Parwani, Sather, Taylor and Venkatesh have procured federal grants from the NIH and the AHRQ to lead national projects aimed at reducing the harm of opioids, and as part of the Yale Center for Healthcare Learning and Redesign (CHIRAL), focused on improving transfers of patient care from one setting or team, to another.
- Managing opioid waste, cost, and opportunity for drug diversion in the emergency department.Coleska A, Oh A, Rothenberg C, Dinh D, Parwani V, Venkatesh AK. Am J Emerg Med. 2023 Jul; 2023 May 8. PMID: 37172559.
- National Institute on Drug Abuse Clinical Trials Network Meeting Report: Advancing Emergency Department Initiation of Buprenorphine for Opioid Use Disorder.Cowan E, Perrone J, Bernstein SL, Coupet E Jr, Fiellin DA, Hawk K, Herring A, Huntley K, McCormack R, Venkatesh A, D'Onofrio G. Ann Emerg Med. 2023 May 11; 2023 May 11. PMID: 37178101.
- Three-Month Symptom Profiles Among Symptomatic Adults With Positive and Negative Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Tests: A Prospective Cohort Study From the INSPIRE Group.Spatz ES, Gottlieb M, Wisk LE, Anderson J, Chang AM, Gentile NL, Hill MJ, Huebinger RM, Idris AH, Kinsman J, Koo K, Li SX, McDonald S, Plumb ID, Rodriguez RM, Saydah S, Slovis B, Stephens KA, Unger ER, Wang RC, Yu H, Hota B, Elmore JG, Weinstein RA, Venkatesh A. Clin Infect Dis. 2023 May 3. PMID: 36573005.
- Attrition From the US Emergency Medicine Workforce During Early Stages of the COVID-19 Pandemic.Gettel CJ, Courtney DM, Bennett CL, Keim SM, Camargo CA Jr, Venkatesh AK. Ann Emerg Med. 2023 May 2; 2023 May 2. PMID: 37140492.
- Membership in the Council of Teaching Hospitals and Health Systems Among Emergency Medicine Residency Program-Sponsoring Institutions, 2001-2020.Bennett CL, Boggs KM, Gettel CJ, Sun WW, Venkatesh AK, Camargo CA Jr. JAMA Netw Open. 2023 May 1; 2023 May 1. PMID: 37159203.
- Real-World Observational Evaluation of Common Interventions to Reduce Emergency Department Prescribing of Opioid Medications.Sangal RB, Rothenberg C, Hawk K, D'Onofrio G, Hsiao AL, Solad Y, Venkatesh AK. Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf. 2023 May; 2023 Feb 3. PMID: 36914528.
- A Quality Measurement Framework for Emergency Department Care of Psychiatric Emergencies.Im DD, Scott KW, Venkatesh AK, Lobon LF, Kroll DS, Samuels EA, Wilson MP, Zeller S, Zun LS, Clifford KC, Zachrison KS. Ann Emerg Med. 2023 May; 2022 Nov 17. PMID: 36402629.
- Clinical Performance Measures for Emergency Department Care for Adults With Intracranial Hemorrhage.Zachrison KS, Goldstein JN, Jauch E, Radecki RP, Madsen TE, Adeoye O, Oostema JA, Feeser VR, Ganti L, Lo BM, Meurer W, Corral M, Rothenberg C, Chaturvedi A, Goyal P, Venkatesh AK. Ann Emerg Med. 2023 Apr 19; 2023 Apr 19. PMID: 37074253.
- Care transition outcome measures of importance after emergency care: Do emergency clinicians and older adults agree?Gettel CJ, Hwang U, Rising KL, Goldberg EM, Feder SL, Uzamere I, Venkatesh AK. Acad Emerg Med. 2023 Apr 4; 2023 Apr 4. PMID: 37014286.
- Exploratory Descriptive Analysis of Smart Speaker Utilization in the Emergency Department During the COVID-19 Pandemic.Franco J, Solad Y, Venkatesh AK, Van Tonder R, Solod A, Stachowiak T, Hsiao AL, Sangal RB. J Emerg Med. 2023 Apr; 2023 Jan 13. PMID: 36990854.
- Clinical criteria to exclude acute vascular pathology on CT angiogram in patients with dizziness.Tu LH, Malhotra A, Venkatesh AK, Taylor RA, Sheth KN, Yaesoubi R, Forman HP, Sureshanand S, Navaratnam D. PLoS One. 2023; 2023 Mar 9. PMID: 36893103.
- Reply to "Response to rising high-acuity emergency care services independently billed by advanced practice providers, 2013 to 2019".Gettel CJ, Schuur JD, Mullen JB, Venkatesh AK. Acad Emerg Med. 2023 Mar 4; 2023 Mar 4. PMID: 36869651.
- Estimated reimbursement impact of COVID-19 on emergency physicians.Venkatesh AK, Janke AT, Koski-Vacirca R, Rothenberg C, Parwani V, Granovsky MA, Burke LG, Li SX, Pines JM. Acad Emerg Med. 2023 Feb 23; 2023 Feb 23. PMID: 36820470.
- Early Restrictive or Liberal Fluid Management for Sepsis-Induced Hypotension.Shapiro NI, Douglas IS, Brower RG, Brown SM, Exline MC, Ginde AA, Gong MN, Grissom CK, Hayden D, Hough CL, Huang W, Iwashyna TJ, Jones AE, Khan A, Lai P, Liu KD, Miller CD, Oldmixon K, Park PK, Rice TW, Ringwood N, Semler MW, Steingrub JS, Talmor D, Thompson BT, Yealy DM, Self WH. N Engl J Med. 2023 Feb 9; 2023 Jan 21. PMID: 36688507.
- Rising high-acuity emergency care services independently billed by advanced practice providers, 2013 to 2019.Gettel CJ, Schuur JD, Mullen JB, Venkatesh AK. Acad Emerg Med. 2023 Feb; 2022 Dec 7. PMID: 36334276.
- Severe Fatigue and Persistent Symptoms at Three Months Following SARS-CoV-2 Infections During the Pre-Delta, Delta, and Omicron Time Periods: A Multicenter Prospective Cohort Study.Gottlieb M, Wang R, Yu H, Spatz ES, Montoy JC, Rodriguez R, Chang AM, Elmore JG, Hannikainen PA, Hill M, Huebinger RM, Idris AH, Lin Z, Koo K, McDonald S, O'Laughlin KN, Plumb ID, Santangelo M, Saydah S, Willis M, Wisk LE, Venkatesh A, Stephens KA, Weinstein RA. Clin Infect Dis. 2023 Jan 27; 2023 Jan 27. PMID: 36705268.
- Development and Internal Validation of an Emergency Department Admission Intensity Measure Using Data From a National Group.Oskvarek JJ, Zocchi MS, Cai A, Venkat A, Janke AT, Venkatesh A, Pines JM. Ann Emerg Med. 2023 Jan 18; 2023 Jan 18. PMID: 36669915.
- Choice Architecture to Assist Clinicians with Appropriate COVID-19 Test Ordering.Sangal RB, Venkatesh AK, Cahill J, Pettker CM, Peaper DR. J Appl Lab Med. 2023 Jan 4. PMID: 36610419.
- Assessing Hospital Quality Scores By Proportion Of Patients Dually Eligible For Medicare And Medicaid.Spivack SB, Qin L, Herrin J, Goutos DB, Schreiber M, Fleisher LA, Venkatesh AB, Bernheim S. Health Aff (Millwood). 2023 Jan. PMID: 36623224.
- A Quality Framework to Address Racial and Ethnic Disparities in Emergency Department Care.Khidir H, Salhi R, Sabbatini AK, Franks NM, Green A, Richardson LD, Terry A, Vasquez N, Goyal P, Kocher K, Venkatesh AK, Lin MP. Ann Emerg Med. 2023 Jan; 2022 Oct 15. PMID: 36257864.
- EMS Non-Transport of Low-Risk COVID-19 Patients.Couturier K, Nelson AR, Burns K, Cone DC, Rollins M, Venkatesh AK, Ulrich A, Shapiro M, Joseph D. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2023; 2022 Jun 13. PMID: 35639643.
- Pediatric mental health visits with prolonged length of stay in community emergency departments during COVID-19.Janke AT, Nash KA, Goyal P, Auerbach M, Venkatesh AK. J Am Coll Emerg Physicians Open. 2022 Dec; 2022 Dec 20. PMID: 36570374.
- Psychotropic Medication Use in United States Pediatric Emergency Department Visits.Nash KA, Olfson M, Rothenberg C, Anderson BR, Pincus HA, Venkatesh AK. Acad Pediatr. 2022 Dec 6; 2022 Dec 6. PMID: 36494030.
- Trends In Treat-And-Release Emergency Care Visits With High-Intensity Billing In The US, 2006-19.Janke AT, Gettel C, Koski-Vacirca R, Lin MP, Kocher KE, Venkatesh AK. Health Aff (Millwood). 2022 Dec. PMID: 36469824.
- Association of Initial SARS-CoV-2 Test Positivity With Patient-Reported Well-being 3 Months After a Symptomatic Illness.Wisk LE, Gottlieb MA, Spatz ES, Yu H, Wang RC, Slovis BH, Saydah S, Plumb ID, O'Laughlin KN, Montoy JCC, McDonald SA, Lin Z, Lin JS, Koo K, Idris AH, Huebinger RM, Hill MJ, Gentile NL, Chang AM, Anderson J, Hota B, Venkatesh AK, Weinstein RA, Elmore JG, Nichol G. JAMA Netw Open. 2022 Dec 1; 2022 Dec 1. PMID: 36454572.