The Yale School of Medicine is an academic environment with vast resources for both basic science and clinical research. Virtually any EMS research interest can be accommodated either directly through Section of EMS faculty or through collaboration with other university programs. Of particular relevance to clinical EMS fellows are the School of Public Health with its expertise and degree programs in Epidemiology and Biostatistics, the Telemedicine and Remote Monitoring Program in the Department of Surgery, the Multi-Disciplinary Biomedical Engineering Program, and the School of Organization and Management. Through Dr. Sandy Bogucki’s fire research program, fellows will also have access to a number of extramural research venues. For example, a Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) has been executed between the Department of Emergency Medicine and the U.S. Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine to study the physiology of structural firefighting while wearing SCBA and full personal protective equipment. Other participants in the fire research program consortium include the Fire Research Labs at the National Institute for Standards and Technology, the US Fire Administration, and the Oak Ridge and Sandia National Laboratories.
- Prehospital Naloxone Administration Patterns during the Era of Synthetic Opioids.Liu A, Nelson AR, Shapiro M, Boyd J, Whitmore G, Joseph D, Cone DC, Couturier K. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2023 Mar 9; 2023 Mar 9. PMID: 36854037.
- An Evaluation of Prehospital Adenosine Use.Nelson AR, Cone DC, Aydin A, Burns K, Cicero MX, Couturier K, Rollins M, Shapiro M, Joseph D. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2023; 2022 Jun 9. PMID: 35639665.
- EMS Non-Transport of Low-Risk COVID-19 Patients.Couturier K, Nelson AR, Burns K, Cone DC, Rollins M, Venkatesh AK, Ulrich A, Shapiro M, Joseph D. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2023; 2022 Jun 13. PMID: 35639643.
- Emergency department initiated resuscitative endovascular balloon occlusion of the aorta (REBOA) for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest is feasible and associated with improvements in end-tidal carbon dioxide.Daley J, Buckley R, Kisken KC, Barber D, Ayyagari R, Wira C, Aydin A, Latich I, Lozada JCP, Joseph D, Marino A, Mojibian H, Pollak J, Chaar CO, Bonz J, Belsky J, Coughlin R, Liu R, Sather J, Van Tonder R, Beekman R, Fults E, Johnson A, Moore C. J Am Coll Emerg Physicians Open. 2022 Oct; 2022 Sep 10. PMID: 36176506.
- Care Levels for Fetal Therapy Centers.Baschat AA, Blackwell SB, Chatterjee D, Cummings JJ, Emery SP, Hirose S, Hollier LM, Johnson A, Kilpatrick SJ, Luks FI, Menard MK, McCullough LB, Moldenhauer JS, Moon-Grady AJ, Mychaliska GB, Narvey M, Norton ME, Rollins MD, Skarsgard ED, Tsao K, Warner BB, Wilpers A, Ryan G. Obstet Gynecol. 2022 Jun 1; 2022 May 2. PMID: 35675600.
- Burnout and Post-traumatic Stress Disorder Symptoms Among Emergency Medicine Resident Physicians During the COVID-19 Pandemic.Chang J, Ray JM, Joseph D, Evans LV, Joseph M. West J Emerg Med. 2022 Feb 28; 2022 Feb 28. PMID: 35302461.
- Virtual Telesimulation for Medical Students During the COVID-19 Pandemic.Ray JM, Wong AH, Yang TJ, Buck S, Joseph M, Bonz JW, Auerbach MA, Couturier K, Tomassoni AJ, Schwartz ML, Evans LV. Acad Med. 2021 Oct 1. PMID: 33883398.
- Paramedic-performed Prehospital Point-of-care Ultrasound for Patients with Undifferentiated Dyspnea: A Pilot Study.Schoeneck JH, Coughlin RF, Baloescu C, Cone DC, Liu RB, Kalam S, Medoro AK, Medoro I, Joseph D, Burns K, Bohrer-Clancy JI, Moore CL. West J Emerg Med. 2021 Mar 24; 2021 Mar 24. PMID: 34125056.
- STEMI Equivalents and Their Incidence during EMS Transport.Palladino N, Shah A, McGovern J, Burns K, Coughlin R, Joseph D, Cone DC. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2021 Feb 5; 2021 Feb 5. PMID: 33320732.
- Naloxone Use by Emergency Medical Services During the COVID-19 Pandemic: A National Survey.Cone DC, Bogucki S, Burns K, D'Onofrio G, Hawk K, Joseph D, Fiellin DA. J Addict Med. 2020 Dec. PMID: 33031212.
- Impact of telemedicine on neonatal resuscitation in the emergency department: a simulation-based randomised trial.Couturier K, Whitfill T, Bhatnagar A, Panchal RA, Parker J, Wong AH, Bruno CJ, Auerbach MA, Gross IT. BMJ Simul Technol Enhanc Learn. 2020; 2019 Dec 24. PMID: 35514445.
- Comparison of Two Telemedicine Delivery Modes for Neonatal Resuscitation Support: A Simulation-Based Randomized Trial.Gross IT, Whitfill T, Redmond B, Couturier K, Bhatnagar A, Joseph M, Joseph D, Ray J, Wagner M, Auerbach M. Neonatology. 2020; 2020 Jan 6. PMID: 31905354.
- Identifying Opioid Use Disorder in the Emergency Department: Multi-System Electronic Health Record-Based Computable Phenotype Derivation and Validation Study.Chartash D, Paek H, Dziura JD, Ross BK, Nogee DP, Boccio E, Hines C, Schott AM, Jeffery MM, Patel MD, Platts-Mills TF, Ahmed O, Brandt C, Couturier K, Melnick E. JMIR Med Inform. 2019 Oct 31; 2019 Oct 31. PMID: 31674913.
- An appraisal of emergency medicine clinical practice guidelines: Do we agree?Zupon A, Rothenberg C, Couturier K, Tan TX, Siddiqui G, James M, Savage D, Melnick ER, Venkatesh AK. Int J Clin Pract. 2019 Feb; 2018 Nov 14. PMID: 30372798.
- Patients under investigation for Ebola virus disease in the United States: hospital preparedness planning and alternate care facilities.Bogucki S, Isakov A. Acad Emerg Med. 2015 May; 2015 Apr 21. PMID: 25899931.
- Pandemic planning and response in academic pediatric emergency departments during the 2009 H1N1 influenza pandemic.Filice CE, Vaca FE, Curry L, Platis S, Lurie N, Bogucki S. Acad Emerg Med. 2013 Jan. PMID: 23570479.
- A descriptive study of the "lift-assist" call.Cone DC, Ahern J, Lee CH, Baker D, Murphy T, Bogucki S. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2013 Jan-Mar; 2012 Sep 12. PMID: 22971148.
- Creating a process for incorporating epidemiological modelling into outbreak management decisions.Akselrod H, Mercon M, Kirkeby Risoe P, Schlegelmilch J, McGovern J, Bogucki S. J Bus Contin Emer Plan. 2012 Summer. PMID: 22948107.
- An open, interoperable, and scalable prehospital information technology network architecture.Landman AB, Rokos IC, Burns K, Van Gelder CM, Fisher RM, Dunford JV, Cone DC, Bogucki S. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2011 Apr-Jun; 2011 Feb 4. PMID: 21294627.
- Triage, rationing, and palliative care in disaster planning.Bogucki S, Jubanyik K. Biosecur Bioterror. 2009 Jun. PMID: 19635006.
- An experimental model of heat storage in working firefighters.Van Gelder CM, Pranger LA, Wiesmann WP, Stachenfeld N, Bogucki S. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2008 Apr-Jun. PMID: 18379922.
- Emergency medical services in Connecticut.Van Gelder CM, Frantz R, Bogucki S. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2005 Apr-Jun. PMID: 16036850.
- Noninvasive fireground assessment of carboxyhemoglobin levels in firefighters.Cone DC, MacMillan DS, Van Gelder C, Brown DJ, Weir SD, Bogucki S. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2005 Jan-Mar. PMID: 16036821.
- Pulmonary manifestations of intentionally released chemical and biological agents.Bogucki S, Weir S. Clin Chest Med. 2002 Dec. PMID: 12512165.