- Education Funds
- Greater than $1,200 is provided to each resident annually to defer expenses related to resident education. Additional funding is provided for regional and national conferences when representing the residency on leadership committees. Free courses in advanced trauma life support (ATLS), pediatric advanced life support (PALS), Advanced Wilderness life support (AWLS) and advanced cardiac life support (ACLS) courses are offered.
- Society Memberships
The Department of Emergency Medicine pays membership dues for the following professional societies:
- American College of Emergency Physicians (ACEP)
- Connecticut College of Emergency Physicians (Included with ACEP membership)
- Emergency Medicine Resident Association (EMRA)
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM)
- Residents receive four weeks of vacation every year.
- Professional Leave
- Professional leaves are determined at the discretion of the department on an individual basis due to need.
- Family/Medical Leave of Absence
- It is the policy of Yale New Haven Hospital to grant a leave of absence to employees who are absent from work due to physical or mental disability, parental needs for newborn or child adoption, or the serious illness of a family member. The hospital is interested in ensuring that parental and family leaves of absence are granted in order to allow and employee personal time to meet family and parental needs. Under the policy, a family/medical leave of absence (FMLA) may be granted for a period up to 16 weeks during a 24-month period for all eligible house staff. Under some circumstances, additional time may be available if more than 12 months have elapsed since the beginning of the last FMLA. The leave may be paid, unpaid, or a combination, and is reserved for employees who are absent from work due to reasons mentioned above. It is the intention of the hospital to comply with the Federal Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993, as well as applicable federal or state statutes.
- Long Term Disability
The hospital has a house staff disability insurance program which provides individual disability insurance coverage to a resident while employed at Yale New Haven Hospital. The insurance provides a salary continuation up to age 65 for eligible house staff once extended sick leave benefits cease. This policy may be continued by the residents (policy owners) after leaving Yale New Haven Hospital.
The plan provides:
- Total disability
- Partial disability
- Future purchase option
- Billing discounts
- Reimbursement Accounts
- House staff can elect to have the hospital deduct a portion of their salary before taxes to pay for medical or dependent care expenses. The maximum amount you may contribute is $5,000.00 to the Health Care Reimbursement Account and $5,000.00 to the Dependent Care Reimbursement Account. The hospital will match an amount equal to 5% of your contribution.
- Professional Liability
- Yale New Haven Hospital provides its residents with professional liability insurance coverage for professional activities performed within the scope of hospital-assigned duties. The insurance coverage is provided by Yale New Haven Hospital while the resident is functioning within the medical center; however, insurance may be provided by an affiliate hospital if the resident is on rotation at that hospital. Insurance coverage is generally not provided for personal activities, such as moonlighting. Insurance coverage is provided for for the duration of graduate medical training, but may exclude periods during which the resident is assigned exclusively to non-clinical duties, including bench research. The insurance pays for the costs of legal defense, settlements and awards, and will protect the resident against awards for claims reported or filed after the completion of the residency as long as the case involves acts or missions undertaken within the scope of the residency program.
- Employee Assistance
- Yale New Haven Hospital offers free, prompt, confidential assessments and counseling and/or referral to other resources to employees and their immediate family. These services provide support for personal and professional life stressors encountered by a resident.
- Secure on-site parking is available in the Air Rights Garage to house staff at a subsidized rate through payroll deductions.
- Financial Benefits Program
Yale New Haven Federal Credit Union provides savings, checking, mortgages and other services.
Bank of America provides free checking with direct deposit, automatic teller machines, and preferred credit, in addition to all other banking needs, including:
- Direct deposit in participating banks
- U.S. Savings Bonds
- Tax-sheltered annuities
- Health Care Coverage
Health, vision and dental insurance is available for house staff, their spouses/domestic partners and dependents.
Yale New Haven Hospital Advantage Plus Plan
This plan is known as "Anthem BC/BS Century Preferred", a preferred provider organization (PPO) type of plan. That is, certain doctors, hospitals, and other providers have agreed to provide services under the plan at negotiated rates. In addition, you generally won't have to file a claim when you go to a PPO provider. Under this plan you are also free to go to a non-PPO doctor or another provider of your choice, although, the benefits you receive will generally be less and, in most cases, you will be required to file a claim to receive benefits.
You will be able to choose dental coverage from Delta Dental Insurance at an additional charge under one of the following plans:
Delta Dental Basic -
Provides coverage for routine preventative and restorative services.
Delta Dental Plus -
Provides coverage for preventative, restorative, major and orthodontic services. The higher premiums include the services of the basic plan and provide additional coverage for major restorative and orthodontic services.
Both plans provide 100% coverage for routine preventative services
- Additional plans:
- Prescription Drug Plan
- Your prescriptions will be covered automatically under a program administered by CVS Caremark, one of the the country's largest prescription drug administrators. This program offers two cost effective ways to fill prescriptions for covered drugs and medications: at participating retail pharmacies and, when you need maintenance drugs, by order through the mail.
- Vision Service Plan
- For an additional charge, a vision service plan is offered to help offset the costs of eye examinations, corrective lenses, frames, and contact lenses.
- Prescription Drug Plan
House staff electing to waive medical coverage offered by the hospital will receive the following credits:
- Full-Time house staff - will be given an $800 annual credit
- Part-Time house staff - will be given a $300 annual credit
To qualify for credit, house staff must prove they have medical coverage with another group. Opt-Out is not available for house staff whose spouses are also employed by Yale New Haven Hospital.
Same Gender Domestic Partner CoverageHealth care coverage will be available for documented same gender spousal equivalents. An affidavit of spousal equivalency form must be filed as part of the medical enrollment process.
House staff may use the Hospital's Fertility Assistance Program which pays a benefit of up to a lifetime maximum of $2,000.00 per person to treat infertility.
Expenses will be reimbursed up to $2,000.00 maximum per child for:
- Legal and court fees, agency fees
- Foreign adoption charges
- Transportation expenses for bringing the child from a foreign country to the United States
- Transportation expenses for visiting the child
- Maternity expenses not covered for the birth mother
Personal Insurance Options
House staff may have the opportunity to purchase homeowner, automobile, boat, condominium and/or personal liability insurance at a discount through payroll deductions. This program is an individual policy and subject to the guidelines of AGI (800-256-7385).
Other Insurance Benefits
These benefits are provided to house staff at no cost to the resident:
- Group Life Insurance
- Regular full-time resident and staff members are covered for $100,000 as of the first say of employment. This term life insurance has no cash value and pays a benefit to your chosen beneficiaries if you die.
- Accidental Death & Dismemberment
- The life insurance policy provides $100,000 coverage for accidental death and dismemberment while traveling on hospital business.
- Insurance Benefit for Terminally Ill
- The group life insurance program allows the house staff family to obtain financial relief during an extremely stressful period. Terminally ill house staff may request to have a portion of the life insurance amount paid prior to death. Certain circumstances may qualify a resident to receive a lump sum payment of up to 50 percent of the life insurance amount.
- House Staff Loans
- Loans of $500 are available to house staff in need through the House Staff Office, Tompkins 209. The maximum loan during residency cannot exceed $1,000. These loans are interest-free during training, start accumulating interest upon completion of appointment, and are due and payable three years after appointment completion.
- Group Life Insurance
- Miscellaneous Benefits
- On-call rooms for every service
- Food fund credit
- A lounge for house staff with TV, 24-hour brewed coffee, food provided every night, refrigerator and computers
- Spouse/domestic partner Yale ID