Business Office Operational Support Team (BOOST)
The Business Office Operational Support Team (BOOST) program provides temporary short and longer term support for a variety of typical business office tasks. The need for BOOST support is a result of staff vacancies, assignment to departmental or institutional projects, or during particularly busy times of year (such as during fiscal year end or annual budget preparation).
The BOOST program also provides support for activities of enduring value, such as teaching staff how to better capitalize upon existing financial systems and tools, and instruction in financial and administrative best practices.
BOOST staff are dedicated mid-level financial and administrative staff who are managed and deployed by YSM Finance & Administration.
Questions and How-Tos
How do I request BOOST Support?
How is the department charged for BOOST services?
We process a manual journal and bill one month in arrears. The department will be required to review and approve the manual journal in Workday. We upload a summary of the # of hours devoted to the department for the month, by week. This cost cannot be charged to sponsored grants and contracts.
What ledger code is used?
The ledger account charged to the department = 81034 Services Expense/SC343 Internal Expense – Other Services.
Does BOOST provide support for administrative work?
No, the typical assignments for BOOST employees are related to sponsored award research management and overall financial management.
A meeting will be set up with the requester to discuss the request in further detail.
Topics for discussion will include but are not limited to:
- Why is there a gap?
- What are other options for getting the work done?
- Confirm primary responsibilities and skills required
- Position funding arrangements, if applicable
- Department plan to fill resource gap, if applicable
- Amount of support (% of time) and support schedule
- Duration of support
Scope & Cost
Statement of Scope
This support will not typically include direct support for faculty or the direct provision of clinical or research activities but exceptions can be discussed on an individual basis. This support is also aimed at providing short term support to departments and is not intended as a replacement for the hiring of permanent staff at the department level.
Typical Assignment Length
Assignments may be short or long term and may coincide with regular Finance Office duties, depending on scope and work priorities. Typical assignments are no more than 90 days in length and no more than 60% FTE as resources allow but exceptions can be discussed on an individual basis.
- Monthly Charge: Departments will be charged monthly via Journal Entry for BOOST support provided during that month.
- Ledger Account: This fee is debited on ledger account 81034.
- FY23 Hourly Rate: The Analyst hourly rate is $85 per hour, inclusive of 42.1% fringe.
- FY24 Hourly Rate: The Analyst hourly rate is $85 per hour, inclusive of 43.1% fringe.
- This cost cannot be charged to sponsored grants and contracts.