Yibing Qyang obtained his B.S. degree from the Department of Biochemistry, Nanjing University, China and subsequently pursued a M.S. degree at the Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences. He next joined the Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. After receiving his Ph.D. degree, he was trained with Dr. Kenneth R. Chien at the University of California, San Diego and then the Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Stem Cell Institute. In October 2008, Dr. Qyang became a principal investigator at the Yale Cardiovascular Research Center and Section of Cardiology, Dept. of Internal Medicine, and Yale Stem Cell Center. Since 2010, he has been the Director of the Yale Stem Cell Research Forum. The Qyang laboratory is interested in employing induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs), embryonic stem cells (ESCs), and tissue engineering to develop novel experimental models of human cardiovascular diseases for the purpose of elucidating causative mechanisms and identifying potential therapeutic interventions to treat these diseases.
1. Jinkyu Park, Ph.D., Associate Research Scientist, graduated from Seoul National University, South Korea in 2013. Dr. Park has won a Department of Defense Award ($334,994; 1/1/2020-12/31/2022)
2. Muhammad Riaz, Ph.D., Associate Research Scientist, graduated from Erasmus University Medical-Center, Rotterdam, the Netherlands in 2012, and joined the lab 1/1/2017.
3. Xi Li, Ph.D., Associate Research Scientist, graduated from Harbin Medical University in China in 2014, and joined the lab 5/1/2022.
4. Shuai Gao, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Associate, graduated from Fudan University in China in 2021, and joined the lab 2/1/2022.
5. Hangqi Luo, M.D., Ph.D., Postgraduate Associate, graduated from The Chinese University of Hong Kong in 2022 and joined the lab 6/1/2022.
6. Luke Batty, M.S., graduated from University of California, Los Angeles, in 2017, and joined the lab as a Yale graduate student since 4/1/2018. Luke has won the Yale University Gruber Science Fellowship in 2017 and an NIH F31 predoctoral fellowship (9/1/2019-8/31/2022).
1. Jiesi Luo, Ph.D. (graduated from Michigan State University, USA), postdoc training in Qyang lab (Dr. Luo won an AHA postdoctoral fellowship; 1/1/2019-1/1/2021), now Assistant Professor in School of Life Science and Technology, ShanghaiTech University, China.
2. Min Young Lee, D.V.M, Ph.D. (graduated from Chonnam National University, Korea), postdoc training in Qyang lab (2009-2012), now Assistant Professor in Department of Molecular Physiology, College of Pharmacy, Kyungpook National University , South Korea.
3. Esra Cagavi Bozkulak, Ph.D. (graduated from University of California, Los Angeles, USA), postdoc training in Qyang lab (2010-2012), now Associate Professor in Istanbul Medipol University, Regenerative and Restorative Medical Research Center, Department of Medical Biology, School of Medicine, Istanbul, Turkey.
4. Xin Ge, Ph.D., (graduated from University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, USA), postdoc training in Qyang lab (2010-2013). Dr. Ge was awarded a Brown-Coxe postdoctoral fellowship ($50,000; 7/1/2011 – 6/31/2012). Dr. Ge is now an Assistant Professor in Shanghai Jiaotong University, China.
5. Matthew Ellis, B.S., graduated from University of Washington, Seattle, in 2015, and joined the lab as a Yale Ph.D. graduate student on 4/1/2017 (graduated 5/1/2022). Matthew won an NIH F31 predoctoral fellowship (9/1/2019-8/31/2021).
6. Christopher Anderson, B.S., graduated from University of St. Thomas in 2015 and also Johns Hopkins University in 2017. He joined the lab as a Yale Ph.D. graduate student on 6/1/2017 (graduated 5/1/2022). Chris won an NIH F31 predoctoral fellowship (9/1/2018-8/31/2021).
7. Ariana Wei, M.S., joined the lab (1/1/2022-5/31/2022) as a Yale M.S. graduate student for her thesis work. She is working as a Research Associate at Altos Labs.
8. Yan Huang, Ph.D., Associate Research Scientist, graduated from Hunan Medical University in China in 1998, and joined the lab (7/1/2018-4/31/2022).
9. Yongming Ren, Ph.D. (now a Senior Scientist at Vita Therapeutics, USA), graduated from Tsinghua University, China, in 2007. Dr. Ren was awarded a Connecticut Stem Cell grant ($200,000; 11/1/2012 – 10/30/2014).
10. Oscar Bartulos-Encinas, Ph.D. (now Senior Scientist at Pluriomics Biotechnology, The Netherlands), graduated from University of Madrid, Spain, in 2009. Dr. Bartulos was awarded a Connecticut Stem Cell grant ($200,000; 11/1/2013 – 10/30/2015).
11. Peter John Amos, Ph.D., (graduated from University of Virginia), postdoc training in Qyang lab (2010-2013), now an officer for Patents and Innovations in Life Sciences in Seattle. Dr. Amos was awarded a Connecticut Stem Cell grant ($200,000; 9/1/2011 – 6/30/2013) during his training in Qyang lab.
12. Colleen A. Lopez, Ph.D., Postdoc Fellows, graduated from University of Oxford in May 2019 and joined the lab in April 2019. She is now a Scientific Consultant for Clearview Healthcare Partners. Dr. Lopez was awarded an NIH T32 postdoc fellowship (4/1/2019 – 3/31/2021).
13. Subhash K. Das, Ph.D., graduated from University of Alberta, Edmonton. Canada. January 2011 - May 2016, joined the lab in November 2016, and now is a scientist in University of Alberta.
14. Biraja Dash, Ph.D., graduated from Network of Excellence in Functional Biomaterials, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland in 2014, trained in Qyang lab (2013-2016), now is a scientist at Department of Surgery, Yale University.
15. Zhengxin Jiang, Ph.D. (graduated from Baylor College of Medicine, USA), postdoc training in Qyang lab (2013-2015), now is the Director, Research & Development at Pregene Biotechnology.
16. Ting Yi, Ph.D. (Postdoc), graduated from University of Vermont, USA in 2013, trained in Qyang lab (2013-2015), now working on Business Development at Rallybio.
17. Yuyao Lin, M.D., Ph.D. candidate from Xi'An Jiaotong University School of Medicine, China, joined the lab 10/1/2018-9/30/2020. Now Dr. Lin is a physician scientist at Xi'An Jiaotong University.
18. Xiangyu Shi, M.D., Ph.D. candidate from Xiangya School of Medicine, Central South University, China, joined the lab 7/1/2018-8/31/2020. Now Dr. Shi is a physician scientist at Central South University.
19. Xia Li, M.D., visiting scholar from China, and now a research assistant at Yale (2015-2017).
20. Carol Suh, graduate student who obtained a M.S. degree (2012-2014). She obtained her B.S. from Harvard University in 2011, and works as a Principal at the Biotech Venture Capital at ARCH Venture Partners.
21. Hongwei Wu, M.D., visiting student who obtained Ph.D. degree (2011-2014). He was from The Third Xiangya Hospital of Central South University, China.
22. Yan Xu, M.D., visiting scholar (2014) from The Third Xiangya Hospital of Central South University, China.
23. Xiaoqiang Cong, M.D., visiting scholar (2016-2017) from the First Hospital of Jilin University, China.
24. Jessica Tuan, Master Student at Yale Biomedical Engineering (2011-2012), now a medical student at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science.
25. Caroline Greenberg, Summer Intern 2011, Medical Student in Yale School of Medicine.
26. Andre Alcon, Summer Intern 2011, Medical Student in Yale School of Medicine.
27. Grant Senyei, Yale Undergraduate student (2008-2010), now a medical student at Northwestern University School of Medicine.
28. Karen Xiao, Summer Intern 2012, undergraduate student at Georgetown University.
29. Zelun Wang, undergraduate summer student 2013 from Rice University, now a MD/PhD student in Washington University Saint Louis.
30. Nicole Boardman, Yale Junior Undergraduate Student trained in the Qyang lab (2016-2017) and now a medical student in Mayo Clinic School of Medicine in Arizona.
31. Mengyan Liu, undergraduate summer student 2014 from University of New Haven.
32. Hong Wu, Ph.D., visiting scholar from China (2014-2015). He is now a Professor, Henan University.
33. Jiahui Zhou, M.D., visiting scholar from China (2017-2018). He is now a physician at Guangdong General Hospital.
|Connecticut Stem Cell Program Established Investigator Award||Connecticut State Government||2015|
|Connecticut Stem Cell Program Established Investigator Award||Connecticut State Government||2011|
|NIH Independent Scientist Award||NIH||2010|
|YCCI Scholar||Yale Center for Clinical Investigation||2010|
|American Heart Association Scientist Development Award||AHA||2009|
|Connecticut Stem Cell Program Early Stage Investigator Award||Connecticut State Government||2009|
|NIH||Reviewer for NIH Integrative Myocardial Physiology/Pathophysiology B (MPPB) Study Section||2022|
|NIH||Reviewer for NHLBI PPG for studying cardiopulmonary diseases||2021|
|JACC: Basic to Translational Science||Associate/Section Editor||2020 - Present|
|NIH||Reviewer for NHLBI PPG for studying cardiopulmonary diseases||2020|
|NIH||Reviewer for NIH Director's Transformative Research Award Program||2020|
|NIH||Reviewer for NHLBI Special Emphasis Panel ZHL1-CCT-R||2019|
|Circulation Research||Editorial Board Member||2019 - Present|
|NIH||Reviewer for NIH Regenerative Medicine Innovation Project (RMIP)||2019|
|British Medical Research Council||Reviewer for British Medical Research Council, England||2019|
|NIH||Reviewer for NHLBI program project grant (P01)||2018|
|NIH||Reviewer for NHLBI lncRNA Special Emphasis Panel||2018|
|British Heart Foundation||Reviewer for British Heart Foundation||2018|
|NIH||Reviewer for NHLBI program project grant (P01)||2017|
|NIH||Reviewer for NHLBI PPG Precision Medicine and Patient Care||2016|
|NIH||Reviewer for NHLBI Cardiovascular Development Consortium||2015|
|Yale University||Co-organizer and Invited Speaker for Monthly Forum for Chinese Visiting Scholar at Yale, which helps these visiting scholars to improve their research skills and to learn American culture.||2015 - Present|
|NIH||Reviewer for NHLBI PPG for Cardiac Repair and Regeneration||2014|
|NIH||Reviewer for NHLBI Ancillary and Collaborative studies/proposal for Progenitor Cell Biology Consortium (PCBC)||2013|
|NIH||Reviewer for NHLBI VCMB study section||2012|
|American Heart Association||Regular Member||2011 - Present|
|Journal of Experimental and Clinical Cardiology||Editorial Board Member||2011 - Present|
|AHA||Reviewer for AHA CVD Study Section||2011 - 2016|
|Yale University||Member, Committee for The Lo Family Stem Cell Research Fellowship, Yale University.||2011 - Present|
|Yale university||Director for Yale Stem Cell Research Forum||2010 - Present|
|British Medical Research Council||Reviewer for British Medical Research Council grant reviewer, England||2010|
|The International Society for Stem Cell Research Member (ISSCR)||Regular Member||2007 - Present|