Pediatric Thoracic Service
Services and Expertise
Diseases and conditions include but are not limited to: lung cancer, interstitial lung disease, lung fibrosis, occupational lung disease, chronic extrinsic hypersensitivity pneumonitis, early lung cancer, screening detected cancers, small cell carcinoma, neuroendocrine carcinoma, adenocarcinoma, bronchial biopsies, thoracoscopic biopsies, mesothelioma, thymoma, sarcoidosis, emphysema, asthma, airways diseases, immunohistochemistry.
Yale Thoracic Pathology
Dr Homers and Zhang have had a long-standing interest in interstitial lung disease and animal models of lung disease. Dr Cai works on translational research including molecular markers of lung cancer.
- Molecular profiling of fibrotic lung disease in context of morphologic analysis (with Naftali Kaminski)
- Diagnostic criteria for neuroendocrine tumors of the lung
- Analysis of genetically engineered mouse models of lung cancer (with Katie Politi)
- Immune profiling of lung cancer (Kurt Schalper)
- Adequacy of cytology specimens for molecular analysis (Cai)
- Adequacy of cryobiopsies for evaluation of interstitial lung disease (Homer)
- Vukmirovic M, Herazo-Maya JD, Blackmon J, Skodric-Trifunovic V, Jovanovic D, Pavlovic S, et al. Identification and validation of differentially expressed transcripts by rna-sequencing of formalin-fixed, paraffin-embedded (FFPE) lung tissue from patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis. BMC Pulm Med 2017, Jan 12;17(1):15.
- Rimm DL, Han G, Taube JM, Yi ES, Bridge JA, Flieder DB, et al. A prospective, multi-institutional, pathologist-based assessment of 4 immunohistochemistry assays for PD-L1 expression in non-small cell lung cancer. JAMA Oncol 2017, Mar 9.
- Homer R, Lederer DJ. Diagnosing idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis without a lung biopsy: Honeycombing not required. Thorax 2017, May;72(5):391-2.
- Ryu C, Homer RJ, Herzog EL. The airway in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis: Protecting the lung or promoting disease? Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2016, May 15;193(10):1081-2.
- Ramaswamy A, Homer R, Killam J, Pisani MA, Murphy TE, Araujo K, Puchalski J. Comparison of transbronchial and cryobiopsies in evaluation of diffuse parenchymal lung disease. J Bronchology Interv Pulmonol 2016, Jan;23(1):14-21.
Training for the Pathology Residency Program