Electrophysiology; Epilepsy; Magnetic Resonance Imaging; Neurobiology; Neurology; Neurosurgery; Behavioral Research; Neuroimaging
Neurology: Blumenfeld Lab | Clinical Neurosciences Imaging Center
Discovery to Cure Internship
What is the relationship between brain activity and conscious thought? One of the most important unsolved questions in science, the basis of consciousness is worthy of empiric study. Our laboratory investigates brain activity when consciousness is transiently impaired during epileptic seizures. By understanding impaired consciousness, we hope to restore normal consciousness to patients with epilepsy and other brain disorders.
Our work combines neuroimaging, electrophysiology and behavioral testing. We investigate cerebral cortical networks interacting with deeper brain structures such as the thalamus and brainstem. Current projects include single cell and larger-scale electrical recordings, neuroimaging with functional magnetic resonance imaging (fMRI) and other methods in animal models and human patients to understand changes in behavior during seizures.
Our goal is to understand and to prevent impaired consciousness. Other practical applications emerging from our research include: 1. Improved computational methods for neuroimaging data analysis; 2. Relating neuroimaging signals to underlying neurophysiology; and 3. Finding molecular mechanisms of epileptogenesis and strategies to prevent or cure epilepsy.
For more information visit: http://www.yale.edu/blumenfeld/
Specialized Terms: Impaired consciousness in epilepsy; Epilepsy neuroimaging and electrophysiology
Extensive Research Description
Expertise: Combined electrophysiology and neuroimaging Human functional neuroanatomy Epilepsy, human studies and animal models Cortical-subcortical mechanisms of consciousness.
For more information visit: http://www.yale.edu/blumenfeld/
Absence Epilepsy, EEG-fMRI and Attention
Absence seizures are brief episodes of staring and unresponsiveness. Seen most commonly in children, they can disrupt school and attention performance. The mechanisms for impaired attention in absence epilepsy are not known. To determine how brain networks are affected by absence seizures we perform simultaneous fMRI and EEG recordings in children during absence seizures. We also test attention both during seizures and under normal conditions. Our work has revealed abnormal activity in specific brain regions which may serve as new targets for treatment.
Neuronal Activity and Neuroimaging in Generalized Seizures
Are “generalized” seizures truly generalized? Our work using high field (9.4-11.7T)fMRI and electrophysiology recordings from animal models suggests that s ocalled generalized absence and tonic-clonic seizures are in fact localized to specific bilateral cortical-subcortical networks. These findings may help develop targeted therapies with better efficacy and fewer side effects. In addition our direct recordings of neuronal electrical activity improve the interpretation of indirect neuroimaging measurements of brain function.
Impaired Consciousness inTemporal Lobe Epilepsy
Temporal lobe seizures are the most common form of localized epilepsy. How do focal seizures impair consciousness? We propose a “network inhibition hypothesis” in which temporal lobe seizures inhibit subcortical arousal systems, causing depressed cortical function. In support of this hypothesis, we found sleep-like changes in the cortex with intracranial EEG and SPECT during temporal lobe seizures. We are now using high field (9.4 T, 11.7 T) fMRI,single neuron recordings, neurotransmitter studies, and optogenetic techniques in animal models to reveal the fundamental mechanisms of these changes, and to test novel treatment approaches.
Virtual Reality Driving Safety and other BedsideTesting in Epilepsy
One of the most devastating effects of altered consciousness in epilepsy is impaired driving safety. To determine how epileptic seizures affect performance, we use virtual-reality driving simulation during video/EEG monitoring while patients are in the hospital. In addition, we have developed a prospective bedside testing battery, the Responsiveness in Epilepsy Scale (RES). These testing methods provide better information to patients and physicians making decisions about driving, and may help identify brain areas crucial for impaired consciousness in epilepsy.
Technical Advances in Epilepsy Surgery Localization
Some patients have seizures that are so severe that they cannot be controlled by medicine. Many of these patients can be cured if we can identify a specific damaged region of the brain that can safely be removed and prevent the triggering of their seizures. We have recently developed novel approaches to target surgery to the correct location in the brain, including:(i) 3D color movies of the “brainwave” electroencephalogram (EEG) in patients with epilepsy show where the seizures start, making safe and effective surgery much more feasible; (ii) innovative methods using single photon emission computed tomography (SPECT) and positron emission tomography (PET) tracers can pinpoint the region of seizure onset for surgical planning.
One crucial goal is the prevention of epilepsy before it even begins. We found in a genetic form of epilepsy that if we treat rat pups with anti-seizure medication from a very early age (even before seizures started) we greatly reduce their tendency to have seizures as adults. In addition, we found in a recent review of human studies of the same form of epilepsy that early and effective treatment may improve long-term outcome. This is a paradigm shift from current treatment strategies which view seizure medications as suppressing the symptoms, not the underlying disease.
The findings also raise the hope that as genes are identified and enable epilepsy to be predicted, beneficial treatments may be started even before symptoms begin.
Impaired consciousness in epilepsy
Blumenfeld H. (2012). Impaired consciousness in epilepsy. The Lancet Neurology, 11: 814–826.
Where fMRI and electrophysiology agree to disagree: corticothalamic and striatal activity patterns in the WAG/Rij rat.
Mishra AM, Ellens DJ, Schridde U, Motelow JE, Purcaro MJ, DeSalvo MN, Enev M, Sanganahalli B, Hyder F, Blumenfeld H. (2011). Where fMRI and electrophysiology agree to disagree: corticothalamic and striatal activity patterns in the WAG/Rij rat. Journal
Dynamic timecourse of typical childhood absence seizures: EEG, behavior and fMRI.
Bai X, Vestal M, Berman R, Negishi M, Spann M, Vega C, DeSalvo M, Novotny EJ, Constable RT, Blumenfeld H. (2010). Dynamic timecourse of typical childhood absence seizures: EEG, behavior and fMRI. Journal of Neuroscience, 30(17):5884 –5893.
Impaired consciousness in temporal lobe seizures: role of cortical slow activity.
Englot DJ, Yang L, Hamid H, Danielson N, Bai X, Marfeo A, Yu L, Gordon A, Purcaro MJ, Motelow JE, Agarwal R, Ellens DJ, Golomb JD, Shamy MCF, Zhang H, Carlson C, Doyle W, Devinsky O, Vives K, Spencer DD, Spencer SS, Schevon C, Zaveri HP, Blumenfeld H. (2010). Impaired consciousness in temporal lobe seizures: role of cortical slow activity. Brain, 133(12): 3764-77.
Remote effects of focal hippocampal seizures on the rat neocortex.
Englot DJ, Mishra AM, Mansuripur PK, Herman P, Hyder F, Blumenfeld H (Sep 2008) Remote effects of focal hippocampal seizures on the rat neocortex., The Journal of neuroscience : the official journal of the Society for Neuroscience, 28 (36), 9066-81
Negative BOLD with large increases in neuronal activity.
Schridde U, Khubchandani M, Motelow JE, Sanganahalli BG, Hyder F, Blumenfeld H (Aug 2008) Negative BOLD with large increases in neuronal activity., Cerebral cortex (New York, N.Y. : 1991), 18 (8), 1814-27
Decreased subcortical cholinergic arousal in focal seizures.
Motelow JE, Li W, Zhan Q, Mishra AM, Sachdev RN, Liu G, Gummadavelli A, Zayyad Z, Lee HS, Chu V, Andrews JP, Englot DJ, Herman P, Sanganahalli BG, Hyder F, Blumenfeld H: Neuron. 2015 Feb 4.
Restoring Conscious Arousal During Focal Limbic Seizures with Deep Brain Stimulation.
Kundishora AJ, Gummadavelli A, Ma C, Liu M, McCafferty C, Schiff ND, Willie JT, Gross RE, Gerrard J, Blumenfeld H: Cereb Cortex. 2016 Mar 3; 2016.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Benjamin CFA, Li AX, Blumenfeld H, Constable RT, Alkawadri R, Bickel S, Helmstaedter C, Meletti S, Bronen R, Warfield SK, Peters JM, Reutens D, Połczyńska M, Spencer DD, Hirsch LJ: Presurgical language fMRI: Clinical practices and patient outcomes in epilepsy surgical planning. Hum Brain Mapp. 2018 Mar 12; 2018 Mar 12. PMID: 29528160
- X Herman W, Smith RE, Kronemer SI, Watsky RE, Chen WC, M Gober L, Touloumes GJ, Khosla M, Raja A, Horien CL, C Morse E, L Botta K, Hirsch LJ, Alkawadri R, Gerrard JL, Spencer DD, Blumenfeld H: A Switch and Wave of Neuronal Activity in the Cerebral Cortex During the First Second of Conscious Perception. Cereb Cortex. 2017 Nov 29; 2017 Nov 29. PMID: 29194517
- Feng L, Motelow JE, Ma C, Biche W, McCafferty C, Smith N, Liu M, Zhan Q, Jia R, Xiao B, Duque A, Blumenfeld H: Seizures and Sleep in the Thalamus: Focal Limbic Seizures Show Divergent Activity Patterns in Different Thalamic Nuclei. J Neurosci. 2017 Nov 22; 2017 Oct 24. PMID: 29066556
- Quraishi IH, Benjamin CF, Spencer DD, Blumenfeld H, Alkawadri R: Impairment of consciousness induced by bilateral electrical stimulation of the frontal convexity. Epilepsy Behav Case Rep. 2017; 2017 Sep 29. PMID: 29204347
- Kundishora AJ, Gummadavelli A, Ma C, Liu M, McCafferty C, Schiff ND, Willie JT, Gross RE, Gerrard J, Blumenfeld H: Restoring Conscious Arousal During Focal Limbic Seizures with Deep Brain Stimulation. Cereb Cortex. 2017 Mar 1. PMID: 26941379
- Guo JN, Kim R, Chen Y, Negishi M, Jhun S, Weiss S, Ryu JH, Bai X, Xiao W, Feeney E, Rodriguez-Fernandez J, Mistry H, Crunelli V, Crowley MJ, Mayes LC, Constable RT, Blumenfeld H: Impaired consciousness in patients with absence seizures investigated by functional MRI, EEG, and behavioural measures: a cross-sectional study. Lancet Neurol. 2016 Dec. PMID: 27839650
- Sanganahalli BG, Herman P, Rothman DL, Blumenfeld H, Hyder F: Metabolic demands of neural-hemodynamic associated and disassociated areas in brain. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2016 Oct; 2016 Aug 25. PMID: 27562867
- Zhan Q, Buchanan GF, Motelow JE, Andrews J, Vitkovskiy P, Chen WC, Serout F, Gummadavelli A, Kundishora A, Furman M, Li W, Bo X, Richerson GB, Blumenfeld H: Impaired Serotonergic Brainstem Function during and after Seizures. J Neurosci. 2016 Mar 2. PMID: 26937010
- Touloumes G, Morse E, Chen WC, Gober L, Dente J, Lilenbaum R, Katzenstein E, Pacelli A, Johnson E, Si Y, Sivaraju A, Grover E, Khozein R, Cunningham C, Hirsch LJ, Blumenfeld H: Human bedside evaluation versus automatic responsiveness testing in epilepsy (ARTiE). Epilepsia. 2016 Jan; 2015 Dec 10. PMID: 26663137
- Furman M, Zhan Q, McCafferty C, Lerner BA, Motelow JE, Meng J, Ma C, Buchanan GF, Witten IB, Deisseroth K, Cardin JA, Blumenfeld H: Optogenetic stimulation of cholinergic brainstem neurons during focal limbic seizures: Effects on cortical physiology. Epilepsia. 2015 Dec; 2015 Nov 4. PMID: 26530287
- Punia V, Farooque P, Chen W, Hirsch LJ, Berg AT, Multicenter Study of Epilepsy Surgery., Blumenfeld H: Epileptic auras and their role in driving safety in people with epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2015 Nov; 2015 Sep 22. PMID: 26391317
- Faingold CL, Blumenfeld H: Targeting Neuronal Networks with Combined Drug and Stimulation Paradigms Guided by Neuroimaging to Treat Brain Disorders. Neuroscientist. 2015 Oct; 2015 Jul 6. PMID: 26150315
- Sedigh-Sarvestani M, Blumenfeld H, Loddenkemper T, Bateman LM: Seizures and brain regulatory systems: consciousness, sleep, and autonomic systems. J Clin Neurophysiol. 2015 Jun. PMID: 25233249
- Gummadavelli A, Kundishora AJ, Willie JT, Andrews JP, Gerrard JL, Spencer DD, Blumenfeld H: Neurostimulation to improve level of consciousness in patients with epilepsy. Neurosurg Focus. 2015 Jun. PMID: 26030698
- Youngblood MW, Chen WC, Mishra AM, Enamandram S, Sanganahalli BG, Motelow JE, Bai HX, Frohlich F, Gribizis A, Lighten A, Hyder F, Blumenfeld H: Rhythmic 3-4Hz discharge is insufficient to produce cortical BOLD fMRI decreases in generalized seizures. Neuroimage. 2015 Apr 1; 2015 Jan 3. PMID: 25562830
- Blumenfeld H, Meador K, Jackson GD: Commentary: The return of consciousness to epilepsy seizure classification. Epilepsia. 2015 Mar; 2015 Mar 5. PMID: 25740196
- Motelow JE, Li W, Zhan Q, Mishra AM, Sachdev RN, Liu G, Gummadavelli A, Zayyad Z, Lee HS, Chu V, Andrews JP, Englot DJ, Herman P, Sanganahalli BG, Hyder F, Blumenfeld H: Decreased subcortical cholinergic arousal in focal seizures. Neuron. 2015 Feb 4. PMID: 25654258
- Li W, Motelow JE, Zhan Q, Hu YC, Kim R, Chen WC, Blumenfeld H: Cortical network switching: possible role of the lateral septum and cholinergic arousal. Brain Stimul. 2015 Jan-Feb; 2014 Sep 16. PMID: 25440289
- Gummadavelli A, Motelow JE, Smith N, Zhan Q, Schiff ND, Blumenfeld H: Thalamic stimulation to improve level of consciousness after seizures: evaluation of electrophysiology and behavior. Epilepsia. 2015 Jan; 2014 Dec 2. PMID: 25442843
- Lee HW, Arora J, Papademetris X, Tokoglu F, Negishi M, Scheinost D, Farooque P, Blumenfeld H, Spencer DD, Constable RT: Altered functional connectivity in seizure onset zones revealed by fMRI intrinsic connectivity. Neurology. 2014 Dec 9; 2014 Nov 12. PMID: 25391304
- Alkawadri R, Gaspard N, Goncharova II, Spencer DD, Gerrard JL, Zaveri H, Duckrow RB, Blumenfeld H, Hirsch LJ: The spatial and signal characteristics of physiologic high frequency oscillations. Epilepsia. 2014 Dec; 2014 Dec 3. PMID: 25470216
- Blumenfeld H, Meador KJ: Consciousness as a useful concept in epilepsy classification. Epilepsia. 2014 Aug; 2014 Jun 30. PMID: 24981294
- Blumenfeld H: A master switch for consciousness? Epilepsy Behav. 2014 Aug; 2014 Aug 2. PMID: 25090656
- Cunningham C, Chen WC, Shorten A, McClurkin M, Choezom T, Schmidt CP, Chu V, Bozik A, Best C, Chapman M, Furman M, Detyniecki K, Giacino JT, Blumenfeld H: Impaired consciousness in partial seizures is bimodally distributed. Neurology. 2014 May 13; 2014 Apr 11. PMID: 24727311
- Mishra AM, Bai X, Sanganahalli BG, Waxman SG, Shatillo O, Grohn O, Hyder F, Pitkänen A, Blumenfeld H: Decreased resting functional connectivity after traumatic brain injury in the rat. PLoS One. 2014; 2014 Apr 18. PMID: 24748279
- Yoo JY, Farooque P, Chen WC, Youngblood MW, Zaveri HP, Gerrard JL, Spencer DD, Hirsch LJ, Blumenfeld H: Ictal spread of medial temporal lobe seizures with and without secondary generalization: an intracranial electroencephalography analysis. Epilepsia. 2014 Feb; 2014 Jan 13. PMID: 24417694
- Blumenfeld H: What is a seizure network? Long-range network consequences of focal seizures. Adv Exp Med Biol. 2014. PMID: 25012367
- Detyniecki K, Blumenfeld H: Consciousness of seizures and consciousness during seizures: are they related? Epilepsy Behav. 2014 Jan; 2013 Oct 12. PMID: 24126026
- Lee HW, Youngblood MW, Farooque P, Han X, Jhun S, Chen WC, Goncharova I, Vives K, Spencer DD, Zaveri H, Hirsch LJ, Blumenfeld H: Seizure localization using three-dimensional surface projections of intracranial EEG power. Neuroimage. 2013 Dec; 2013 Jul 11. PMID: 23850575
- Sanganahalli BG, Herman P, Behar KL, Blumenfeld H, Rothman DL, Hyder F: Functional MRI and neural responses in a rat model of Alzheimer's disease. Neuroimage. 2013 Oct 1; 2013 May 3. PMID: 23648961
- Herman P, Sanganahalli BG, Blumenfeld H, Rothman DL, Hyder F: Quantitative basis for neuroimaging of cortical laminae with calibrated functional MRI. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013 Sep 10; 2013 Aug 26. PMID: 23980158
- Mishra AM, Bai X, Motelow JE, Desalvo MN, Danielson N, Sanganahalli BG, Hyder F, Blumenfeld H: Increased resting functional connectivity in spike-wave epilepsy in WAG/Rij rats. Epilepsia. 2013 Jul. PMID: 23815571
- Blumenfeld H, Jackson GD: Should consciousness be included in the classification of focal (partial) seizures? Epilepsia. 2013 Jun. PMID: 23731397
- Youngblood MW, Han X, Farooque P, Jhun S, Bai X, Yoo JY, Lee HW, Blumenfeld H: Intracranial EEG surface renderings: new insights into normal and abnormal brain function. Neuroscientist. 2013 Jun; 2012 May 31. PMID: 22653695
- Bailey CJ, Sanganahalli BG, Herman P, Blumenfeld H, Gjedde A, Hyder F: Analysis of time and space invariance of BOLD responses in the rat visual system. Cereb Cortex. 2013 Jan; 2012 Jan 31. PMID: 22298731
- Bauerschmidt A, Koshkelashvili N, Ezeani CC, Yoo JY, Zhang Y, Manganas LN, Kapadia K, Palenzuela D, Schmidt CC, Lief R, Kiely BT, Choezom T, McClurkin M, Shorten A, Detyniecki K, Hirsch LJ, Giacino JT, Blumenfeld H: Prospective assessment of ictal behavior using the revised Responsiveness in Epilepsy Scale (RES-II). Epilepsy Behav. 2013 Jan; 2012 Nov 30. PMID: 23201609
- McPherson A, Rojas L, Bauerschmidt A, Ezeani CC, Yang L, Motelow JE, Farooque P, Detyniecki K, Giacino JT, Blumenfeld H: Testing for minimal consciousness in complex partial and generalized tonic-clonic seizures. Epilepsia. 2012 Oct; 2012 Aug 29. PMID: 22931210
- Blumenfeld H: Impaired consciousness in epilepsy. Lancet Neurol. 2012 Sep. PMID: 22898735
- Yang L, Shklyar I, Lee HW, Ezeani CC, Anaya J, Balakirsky S, Han X, Enamandram S, Men C, Cheng JY, Nunn A, Mayer T, Francois C, Albrecht M, Hutchison AL, Yap EL, Ing K, Didebulidze G, Xiao B, Hamid H, Farooque P, Detyniecki K, Giacino JT, Blumenfeld H: Impaired consciousness in epilepsy investigated by a prospective responsiveness in epilepsy scale (RES). Epilepsia. 2012 Mar; 2011 Dec 9. PMID: 22150524
- Blumenfeld H: Epilepsy and the consciousness system: transient vegetative state? Neurol Clin. 2011 Nov. PMID: 22032662
- Mishra AM, Ellens DJ, Schridde U, Motelow JE, Purcaro MJ, DeSalvo MN, Enev M, Sanganahalli BG, Hyder F, Blumenfeld H: Where fMRI and electrophysiology agree to disagree: corticothalamic and striatal activity patterns in the WAG/Rij rat. J Neurosci. 2011 Oct 19. PMID: 22016539
- Vega C, Guo J, Killory B, Danielson N, Vestal M, Berman R, Martin L, Gonzalez JL, Blumenfeld H, Spann MN: Symptoms of anxiety and depression in childhood absence epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2011 Aug; 2011 Jun 2. PMID: 21635244
- Mishra AM, Bai H, Gribizis A, Blumenfeld H: Neuroimaging biomarkers of epileptogenesis. Neurosci Lett. 2011 Jun 27; 2011 Feb 16. PMID: 21303682
- Danielson NB, Guo JN, Blumenfeld H: The default mode network and altered consciousness in epilepsy. Behav Neurol. 2011. PMID: 21447899
- Hyder F, Herman P, Sanganahalli BG, Coman D, Blumenfeld H, Rothman DL: Role of ongoing, intrinsic activity of neuronal populations for quantitative neuroimaging of functional magnetic resonance imaging-based networks. Brain Connect. 2011. PMID: 22433047
- Berman R, Negishi M, Vestal M, Spann M, Chung MH, Bai X, Purcaro M, Motelow JE, Danielson N, Dix-Cooper L, Enev M, Novotny EJ, Constable RT, Blumenfeld H: Simultaneous EEG, fMRI, and behavior in typical childhood absence seizures. Epilepsia. 2010 Oct. PMID: 20608963
- Vega C, Vestal M, DeSalvo M, Berman R, Chung M, Blumenfeld H, Spann MN: Differentiation of attention-related problems in childhood absence epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav. 2010 Sep; 2010 Aug 2. PMID: 20674507
- Hyder F, Sanganahalli BG, Herman P, Coman D, Maandag NJ, Behar KL, Blumenfeld H, Rothman DL: Neurovascular and Neurometabolic Couplings in Dynamic Calibrated fMRI: Transient Oxidative Neuroenergetics for Block-Design and Event-Related Paradigms. Front Neuroenergetics. 2010; 2010 Aug 19. PMID: 20838476
- Yang L, Morland TB, Schmits K, Rawson E, Narasimhan P, Motelow JE, Purcaro MJ, Peng K, Raouf S, Desalvo MN, Oh T, Wilkerson J, Bod J, Srinivasan A, Kurashvili P, Anaya J, Manza P, Danielson N, Ransom CB, Huh L, Elrich S, Padin-Rosado J, Naidu Y, Detyniecki K, Hamid H, Farooque P, Astur R, Xiao B, Duckrow RB, Blumenfeld H: A prospective study of loss of consciousness in epilepsy using virtual reality driving simulation and other video games. Epilepsy Behav. 2010 Jul. PMID: 20537593
- Giblin KA, Blumenfeld H: Is epilepsy a preventable disorder? New evidence from animal models. Neuroscientist. 2010 Jun. PMID: 20479472
- Bai X, Vestal M, Berman R, Negishi M, Spann M, Vega C, Desalvo M, Novotny EJ, Constable RT, Blumenfeld H: Dynamic time course of typical childhood absence seizures: EEG, behavior, and functional magnetic resonance imaging. J Neurosci. 2010 Apr 28. PMID: 20427649
- DeSalvo MN, Schridde U, Mishra AM, Motelow JE, Purcaro MJ, Danielson N, Bai X, Hyder F, Blumenfeld H: Focal BOLD fMRI changes in bicuculline-induced tonic-clonic seizures in the rat. Neuroimage. 2010 Apr 15; 2010 Jan 14. PMID: 20079442
- Scheinost D, Teisseyre TZ, Distasio M, DeSalvo MN, Papademetris X, Blumenfeld H: New open-source ictal SPECT analysis method implemented in BioImage Suite. Epilepsia. 2010 Apr; 2010 Jan 13. PMID: 20074234
- Zaveri HP, Pincus SM, Goncharova II, Novotny EJ, Duckrow RB, Spencer DD, Blumenfeld H, Spencer SS: Background intracranial EEG spectral changes with anti-epileptic drug taper. Clin Neurophysiol. 2010 Mar; 2010 Jan 13. PMID: 20075002
- Brown FC, Tuttle E, Westerveld M, Ferraro FR, Chmielowiec T, Vandemore M, Gibson-Beverly G, Bemus L, Roth RM, Blumenfeld H, Spencer DD, Spencer SS: Visual memory in patients after anterior right temporal lobectomy and adult normative data for the Brown Location Test. Epilepsy Behav. 2010 Feb; 2010 Jan 6. PMID: 20056493
- Owuor K, Harel NY, Englot DJ, Hisama F, Blumenfeld H, Strittmatter SM: LGI1-associated epilepsy through altered ADAM23-dependent neuronal morphology. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2009 Dec; 2009 Sep 29. PMID: 19796686
- Englot DJ, Modi B, Mishra AM, DeSalvo M, Hyder F, Blumenfeld H: Cortical deactivation induced by subcortical network dysfunction in limbic seizures. J Neurosci. 2009 Oct 14. PMID: 19828814
- Ellens DJ, Hong E, Giblin K, Singleton MJ, Bashyal C, Englot DJ, Mishra AM, Blumenfeld H: Development of spike-wave seizures in C3H/HeJ mice. Epilepsy Res. 2009 Jul; 2009 May 5. PMID: 19409755
- Scheinost D, Blumenfeld H, Papademetris X: AN IMPROVED UNBIASED METHOD FOR DIFFSPECT QUANTIFICATION IN EPILEPSY. Proc IEEE Int Symp Biomed Imaging. 2009 Jun 1. PMID: 20706559
- Herman P, Sanganahalli BG, Blumenfeld H, Hyder F: Cerebral oxygen demand for short-lived and steady-state events. J Neurochem. 2009 May. PMID: 19393011
- Yu L, Blumenfeld H: Theories of impaired consciousness in epilepsy. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 2009 Mar. PMID: 19351355
- Sanganahalli BG, Herman P, Blumenfeld H, Hyder F: Oxidative neuroenergetics in event-related paradigms. J Neurosci. 2009 Feb 11. PMID: 19211878
- Blumenfeld H, Lampert A, Klein JP, Mission J, Chen MC, Rivera M, Dib-Hajj S, Brennan AR, Hains BC, Waxman SG: Role of hippocampal sodium channel Nav1.6 in kindling epileptogenesis. Epilepsia. 2009 Jan; 2008 Jul 14. PMID: 18637833
- Motelow JE, Blumenfeld H: Functional neuroimaging of spike-wave seizures. Methods Mol Biol. 2009. PMID: 18839093
- Englot DJ, Blumenfeld H: Consciousness and epilepsy: why are complex-partial seizures complex? Prog Brain Res. 2009. PMID: 19818900
- Englot DJ, Mishra AM, Mansuripur PK, Herman P, Hyder F, Blumenfeld H: Remote effects of focal hippocampal seizures on the rat neocortex. J Neurosci. 2008 Sep 3. PMID: 18768701
- Schridde U, Khubchandani M, Motelow JE, Sanganahalli BG, Hyder F, Blumenfeld H: Negative BOLD with large increases in neuronal activity. Cereb Cortex. 2008 Aug; 2007 Dec 5. PMID: 18063563
- Blumenfeld H, Klein JP, Schridde U, Vestal M, Rice T, Khera DS, Bashyal C, Giblin K, Paul-Laughinghouse C, Wang F, Phadke A, Mission J, Agarwal RK, Englot DJ, Motelow J, Nersesyan H, Waxman SG, Levin AR: Early treatment suppresses the development of spike-wave epilepsy in a rat model. Epilepsia. 2008 Mar; 2007 Dec 6. PMID: 18070091
- Maandag NJ, Coman D, Sanganahalli BG, Herman P, Smith AJ, Blumenfeld H, Shulman RG, Hyder F: Energetics of neuronal signaling and fMRI activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Dec 18; 2007 Dec 13. PMID: 18079290
- Blumenfeld H, Rivera M, Vasquez JG, Shah A, Ismail D, Enev M, Zaveri HP: Neocortical and thalamic spread of amygdala kindled seizures. Epilepsia. 2007 Feb. PMID: 17295618
- Enev M, McNally KA, Varghese G, Zubal IG, Ostroff RB, Blumenfeld H: Imaging onset and propagation of ECT-induced seizures. Epilepsia. 2007 Feb. PMID: 17295616
- Blumenfeld H: Functional MRI studies of animal models in epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2007. PMID: 17767572
- Kida I, Smith AJ, Blumenfeld H, Behar KL, Hyder F: Lamotrigine suppresses neurophysiological responses to somatosensory stimulation in the rodent. Neuroimage. 2006 Jan 1; 2005 Aug 19. PMID: 16112588
- McNally KA, Paige AL, Varghese G, Zhang H, Novotny EJ Jr, Spencer SS, Zubal IG, Blumenfeld H: Localizing value of ictal-interictal SPECT analyzed by SPM (ISAS). Epilepsia. 2005 Sep. PMID: 16146441
- Blumenfeld H: Cellular and network mechanisms of spike-wave seizures. Epilepsia. 2005. PMID: 16302873
- Blumenfeld H: Consciousness and epilepsy: why are patients with absence seizures absent? Prog Brain Res. 2005. PMID: 16186030
- Nersesyan H, Herman P, Erdogan E, Hyder F, Blumenfeld H: Relative changes in cerebral blood flow and neuronal activity in local microdomains during generalized seizures. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2004 Sep. PMID: 15356426
- Blumenfeld H, McNally KA, Vanderhill SD, Paige AL, Chung R, Davis K, Norden AD, Stokking R, Studholme C, Novotny EJ Jr, Zubal IG, Spencer SS: Positive and negative network correlations in temporal lobe epilepsy. Cereb Cortex. 2004 Aug; 2004 Apr 14. PMID: 15084494
- Nersesyan H, Hyder F, Rothman DL, Blumenfeld H: Dynamic fMRI and EEG recordings during spike-wave seizures and generalized tonic-clonic seizures in WAG/Rij rats. J Cereb Blood Flow Metab. 2004 Jun. PMID: 15181366
- Klein JP, Khera DS, Nersesyan H, Kimchi EY, Waxman SG, Blumenfeld H: Dysregulation of sodium channel expression in cortical neurons in a rodent model of absence epilepsy. Brain Res. 2004 Mar 12. PMID: 15053958
- McNally KA, Blumenfeld H: Focal network involvement in generalized seizures: new insights from electroconvulsive therapy. Epilepsy Behav. 2004 Feb. PMID: 14751200
- Blumenfeld H, Taylor J: Why do seizures cause loss of consciousness? Neuroscientist. 2003 Oct. PMID: 14580115
- Blumenfeld H, Westerveld M, Ostroff RB, Vanderhill SD, Freeman J, Necochea A, Uranga P, Tanhehco T, Smith A, Seibyl JP, Stokking R, Studholme C, Spencer SS, Zubal IG: Selective frontal, parietal, and temporal networks in generalized seizures. Neuroimage. 2003 Aug. PMID: 12948711
- Blumenfeld H, McNally KA, Ostroff RB, Zubal IG: Targeted prefrontal cortical activation with bifrontal ECT. Psychiatry Res. 2003 Jul 30. PMID: 12928104
- Motamedi M, Nguyen DK, Zaatreh M, Singh SP, Westerveld M, Thompson JL, Mattson R, Blumenfeld H, Novotny E, Spencer SS: Levetiracetam efficacy in refractory partial-onset seizures, especially after failed epilepsy surgery. Epilepsia. 2003 Feb. PMID: 12558576
- Blumenfeld H: From molecules to networks: cortical/subcortical interactions in the pathophysiology of idiopathic generalized epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2003. PMID: 12752456
- Smith AJ, Blumenfeld H, Behar KL, Rothman DL, Shulman RG, Hyder F: Cerebral energetics and spiking frequency: the neurophysiological basis of fMRI. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002 Aug 6; 2002 Jul 19. PMID: 12134056
- Zaatreh MM, Spencer DD, Thompson JL, Blumenfeld H, Novotny EJ, Mattson RH, Spencer SS: Frontal lobe tumoral epilepsy: clinical, neurophysiologic features and predictors of surgical outcome. Epilepsia. 2002 Jul. PMID: 12102675
- Norden AD, Blumenfeld H: The role of subcortical structures in human epilepsy. Epilepsy Behav. 2002 Jun. PMID: 12662601
- Blumenfeld H: The thalamus and seizures. Arch Neurol. 2002 Jan. PMID: 11790241
- Chang DJ, Zubal IG, Gottschalk C, Necochea A, Stokking R, Studholme C, Corsi M, Slawski J, Spencer SS, Blumenfeld H: Comparison of statistical parametric mapping and SPECT difference imaging in patients with temporal lobe epilepsy. Epilepsia. 2002 Jan. PMID: 11879389