Research & Publications
Keith Choate M.D., Ph.D., is a physician-scientist who employs tools of human genetics to understand fundamental mechanisms of disease. In clinical practice, he specializes in complex cases unresponsive to standard therapies. Dr. Choate is an attending physician at Yale-New Haven Hospital, the Yale Primary Care Center, and Yale Dermatology Associates. He is the co-chief of Dermatology at the Saint Raphael's Campus of Yale-New Haven Hospital.
Dr. Choate provides care for patients with all dermatologic conditions and he has special interest in:
- atopic dermatitis (eczema)
- autoimmune blistering disorders including pemphigus and bullous pemphigoid
- inflammatory disorders such as lichen planus, pityriasis rubra pilaris, and severe acne
- genetic disorders including disorders of keratinization, and cutaneous mosaic disorders
- skin cancer
Dr. Choate uses a wide variety of treatment modalities including phototherapy, systemic immunosuppressive agents, retinoids, and newer disease-targeted biologic agents to treat psoraisis and atopic dermatitis (eczema).
Patients are seen in consultation after referral by a dermatologist or primary care physician, typically after first-line therapies have failed.
In his research, Dr. Choate employs next generation sequencing technologies to identify mutations causing genetic skin diseases and his group studies the function of identified genes in normal and disease states. Dr. Choate has published over 30 peer-reviewed articles and chapters and presents his work at national and international meetings. He is a member of the Medical and Scientific Advisory Board for the Foundation for Ichthyosis and Related Skin types. His laboratory is funded by the National Institute of Arthritis and of Musculoskelatal and Skin Diseases, a division of the National Institutes of Health.
Dr. Choate mentors undergraduate, graduate, and medical students in his laboratory, teaches at Yale Medical School, and trains resident physicians and fellows.
Education & Training
- MDYale University School of Medicine (2004)
- PhDYale University, Cell Biology (2001)
- MPhilYale University, Cell Biology (2000)
- BSStanford University, Biological Sciences (1995)
- Postdoctoral FellowYale University School of Medicine
- ResidentYale- New Haven Hospital
- InternYale-New Haven Hospital
- Board CertificationAB of Dermatology, Dermatology (2008)
Honors & Recognition
|ADA||American Dermatological Association||2017|
|ASCI||American Society for Clinical Investigation||2016|
|Young Investigator Award||American Academy of Dermatology||2011|
|Alpha Omega Alpha||Alpha Omega Alpha||2004|
|Associate Director Yale Medical Scientist Training Program||2015 - 2017|
|Associate Editor, British Journal of Dermatology||2015 - 2017|
|Board of Directors, Foundation for Ichthyosis and Related Skin Types||2015 - 2017|
|Basic Science Exam Committee, American Board of Dermatology||2012 - 2017|
|Medical and Scientific Advisory Board, Foundation for Ichthyosis and Related Skin Types||2010 - 2017|