Research & Publications
Robert L. McNamara, MD, MHS received his undergraduate bachelor of science degree in chemical engineering at the University of Notre Dame (1986) and his medical degree from Washington University (1991). He trained in internal medicine and clinical cardiology at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (1995). He completed his fellowship in echocardiography at Johns Hopkins Hospital while earning a master’s degree in clinical epidemiology at the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health (1997).
He joined the faculty at the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health and School of Medicine (1997-1999) and later practiced as a staff physician at the Chinle Comprehensive Health Care Facility in the Navajo Nation (1999-2002). He then joined the faculty in Cardiovascular Medicine at Yale University (Assistant Professor of Medicine 2002-2006, Associate Professor of Medicine (2006-present). He was Director of Echocardiography (2003-2012) and Program Director of the Cardiovascular Fellowship (2007-2010). He serves as the medical director of the Yale New Haven Hospital ultrasound school (2003 to present).
He is a fellow of the American Heart Association, American College of Cardiology, and the American Society of Echocardiography. Nationally, he has worked with development of guidelines, data standards, and performance measures for the management of patients with atrial fibrillation and acute coronary syndromes. He works with the Yale-New Haven Health System Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation, the American Heart Association, and the American College of Cardiology to assess and improve outcomes for patients with acute coronary syndromes and other cardiovascular conditions through registry research, risk modeling, performance measures, accreditation, and clinical trials. Internationally, he works with the Yale Global Health Institute and collaborates with colleagues in the United Kingdom, Sweden, China, Russia, Rwanda, Uganda, Colombia, Argentina, Dominican Republic, and Honduras on medical education and clinical research projects. Finally, he is the president of a nonprofit group dedicated to medical education across the world, the International Team of Educators Advancing Cardiovascular Health (ITEACH).
Education & Training
- FellowJohns Hopkins University (1997)
- MHSJohns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health (1997)
- FellowHospital of the University of Pennsylvania (1995)
- ResidentHospital of the University of Pennsylvania (1993)
- MDWashington University School of Medicine (1991)
- BSUniversity of Notre Dame (1986)
- Hypertension control in primary care clinics in Bani, Dominican RepublicBaní, Peravia Province, Dominican Republic 2018Cluster randomized clinical trial of education and site visits versus education alone for improved hypertension management in primary care clinics in rural Dominican Republic
- Cardiovascular Center of Excellence AccreditationDallas, TX, United States 2016American Heart Association and the Joint Commission hospital accreditation for cardiovascular services
- China Peace ProjectBeijing, Beijing, China 2015Comparing care and outcomes for patients with Acute Myocardial Infarction or Percutaneous Coronary Artery Disease in China and The US
- Fundación Sante Fe de Bogota - Yale CollaborationBogotá, Bogota, Colombia 2015Teaching and research
- Rwanda Human Resources for Health ProgramKigali, Kigali Province, Rwanda 2013Assist in developing cardiology curriculum for Rwandan physicians in training
- International Consortium for Healthcare Outcomes (ICHOM), Coronary Artery Disease Working GroupCambridge, MA, United States 2013Group dedicated to establishing and implementing international standards for data collection in order to compare outcomes.
- Acute Coronary SyndromesLondon, England, United Kingdom 2009Collaborative research in clinical epidemiology and outcomes of patients after acute myocardial infarction and of patients with angina
- Russia-US Teaching CollaborationSaint Petersburg, Saint Petersburg, Russia 2006Teaching
Honors & Recognition
|Fellow||American Heart Association||2010|
|Fellow||American Society of Echocardiography||2005|
|Fellow||American College of Cardiology||2001|