Research & Publications
I am a pulmonary/critical care physician and epidemiologist using translational research and implementation science to improve diagnostic evaluation and case finding for tuberculosis (TB), the leading cause of infectious death worldwide.
I teach a graduate course on implementation science and mentor students at the Yale School of Public Health, and am involved in several international research training programs focused on implementation science.
I am also a Yale Medicine physician, and attend in the Medical Intensive Care Unit and the Winchester TB Clinic at Yale-New Haven Hospital, caring for patients and their families and teaching medical students, residents, and fellows.
Education & Training
- FellowshipPulmonary & Critical Care Medicine, University of California San Francisco (2008)
- MASUniversity of California San Francisco, Clinical Research (2008)
- ResidencyOsler Medical Service, Johns Hopkins Hospital (2003)
- MDVanderbilt University (2000)
- ABPrinceton University, History (1995)
- COVID-19 Contact Tracing New HavenNew Haven, CT, United States 2020Collaboration with New Haven Health Department on a rapid public health evaluation of COVID-19 contact tracing in New Haven using quantitative and qualitative methods
- TB-HIV StigmaKampala, Central Region, Uganda; Johannesburg, GP, South Africa (2019-2021)TB-HIV Stigma
- Zero TB Mongolia InitiativeUlaanbaatar, Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia 2018Partnership with the Mongolia Health Initiative and the Mongolia Ministry of Health to evaluate the quality of TB care in Mongolia using the Zero TB Indicator Framework.
- Alianza TB Cali TB CollaborationCali, Valle del Cauca, Colombia 2017TB Research Collaboration with the Centro Internacional de Entrenamiento e Investigaciones Medicas (CIDEIM), Cali Secretary of Health of Cali, Colombia, focused on implementation science and epidemiology to improve TB case-finding, treatment, and prevention through household contact investigation
- TB Education and Counseling for persons living with HIV-TB (TEACH)Kampala, Central Region, Uganda (2017-2018)Design & implementation of a novel peer educator strategy for medication adherence support of persons living with TB-HIV in Uganda
- Severe Illness Management Support (SIMS)Kasese, Western Region, Uganda (2014-2016)Prospective pragmatic trial of a complex implementation intervention to improve health worker uptake of WHO severe illness guidelines at multiple general hospitals in Western Uganda
- Pulmonary Complications of AIDS Research Training (PART) ProgramKampala, Central Region, Uganda 2013Research training program for Ugandan junior investigators focusing on TB and other pulmonary complications of HIV/AIDS
- Uganda TB Implementation Research Consortium (U-TIRC)Kampala, Central Region, Uganda 2008Implementation research to improve diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of tuberculosis (TB) in partnership with the Uganda National TB Programme (NTLP) and Makerere University.
- Mulago Inpatient Novel Diagnosis of Pneumonia (MIND) StudyKampala, Central Region, Uganda 2005Long-standing research study examining diagnosis, pathogenesis, and outcomes of tuberculosis (TB) and other pulmonary complications of HIV among hospitalized adults in Uganda