Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome; Asthma; Lung; Respiration; Tuberculosis; Pulmonary Medicine; Electronic Health Records
Dr. Lloyd Friedman recently published the results of a multicenter trial investigating the incidence of reversion of latent tuberculosis infection through the use of skin tests and interferon gamma release assays. He has been following a cohort of welfare patients in New York to assess the incidence of tuberculosis, AIDS, and death. His major focus currently is an experimental project on the association of a tuberculosis and asthma. His critical care efforts include participation as a study site principal investigator in a recently reported study on the use of drotrecogin alpha (activated) in early sepsis. He also has an interest in the improvement of medical care through the use of electronic medical records.
Specialized Terms: tuberculosis; AIDS; asthma
- Friedman LN, Halpern NA, Fackler JC. Implementing an electronic medical record. Crit Care Clin 2007 23:347-381.
- Friedman LN, Nash ER, Bryant J, Henry S, Shi J, D’Amato J, Khaled GH, Russi MB, O’Connor PG, Edberg SC, Pisani, MA, Cain HC, Tanoue L, Weissman DN. High rate of negative tuberculin and QuantiFERON® tests in individuals with histories of past-positive skin tests. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 2006 27:436-41.
- Blumberg HM, Burman WJ, Chaisson RE, Daley CL, Etkind SC, Friedman LN, Fujiwara P, Grzemska M, Hopewell PC, Iseman MD, Jasmer RM, Koppaka V, Menzies RI, O'Brien RJ, Reves RR, Reichman LB, Simone PM, Starke JR, Vernon AA American Thoracic Society, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Infectious Diseases Society. American Thoracic Society/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/Infectious Diseases Society of America: Treatment of tuberculosis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2003 167:603-62.
- Friedman LN, editor. Tuberculosis: Current Concepts and Treatment. 2nd ed. Boca Raton: CRC Press, Inc., 2000.
- O’Connor PG, Shi JM, Henry S, Durante AJ, Friedman L, Selwyn PA. Tuberculosis chemoprophylaxis using a liquid isoniazid-methadone admixture for drug users in methadone maintenance. Addiction 1999 94:1071-1075.
- Tuberculosis, AIDS , and death amonth substance abusers on welfare in New York City N Engl J Med 1996;334:828-33.