Emphysema; Exercise Test; Quality of Life; Rehabilitation; Respiration; Pulmonary Medicine; Pulmonary Disease, Chronic Obstructive
Partial List of Past and Current Research Projects
Collaborator, National Emphysema Treatment Trial, in conjunction with Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center, New York, NY. Established Gaylord Hospital-based pulmonary rehabilitation program as official satellite rehabilitation center for the NET Trial.
Co-investigator: "Quality of Life and Survival of Patients Affected by Chronic Respiratory Failure", International Study (PW Jones, London, UK, and Mauro Carone, Veruno, Italy, Principal Investigators). This study aims to validate a newly developed questionnaire to assess health-related quality of life in patients with severe COPD or kyphyscoliosis who require supplemental oxygen and/or other non-invasive equipment to support ventilation.
The Effect of Electrical Muscle Stimulation on Exercise Performance in Patients with COPD
Impact of Medical Co-morbidities on outcomes of pulmonary rehabilitation
Use of a pedometer as an outcome measure in pulmonary rehabilitation
Exercise training in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.
Bourjeily G and Rochester CL, Exercise training in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, Clin Chest Med 21 (4) 763-81, 2000.
- Rochester CL, Case Records of the Massachusetts General Hospital, "A 47 year old woman with hypogammaglobulinemia, asthma, non-resolving pulmonary infiltrates, and progressive respiratory failure", New Engl J Med 343 (25) December 21, 2000.
- Rochester CL, Mechanisms of improvement in exercise tolerance following pulmonary rehabilitation, Clin Pulm Med 7 (6) 287-94, 2000.
- Rochester CL, Which pulmonary rehabilitation program is best for your patient?, J Respir Dis 21 (9) 539-46, 2000.
- Rochester CL, Chapter 74: The Eosinophilic Pneumonias, in Pulmonary Diseases and Disorders, Alfred P. Fishman, Ed, Third Edition, McGraw Hill, New York, NY, p1133-50, 1997.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Spruit MA, Singh SJ, Rochester CL, Greening NJ, Franssen FME, Pitta F, Troosters T, Nolan C, Vogiatzis I, Clini EM, Man WD, Burtin C, Goldstein RS, Vanfleteren LEGW, Kenn K, Nici L, Janssen DJA, Casaburi R, Shioya T, Garvey C, Carlin BW, ZuWallack RL, Steiner M, Wouters EFM, Puhan MA: Pulmonary rehabilitation for patients with COPD during and after an exacerbation-related hospitalisation: back to the future? Eur Respir J. 2018 Jan; 2018 Jan 11. PMID: 29326328
- Rochester CL, Spruit MA: Maintaining the Benefits of Pulmonary Rehabilitation. The Holy Grail. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2017 Mar 1. PMID: 28248138
- Vogiatzis I, Rochester CL, Spruit MA, Troosters T, Clini EM, American Thoracic Society/European Respiratory Society Task Force on Policy in Pulmonary Rehabilitation.: Increasing implementation and delivery of pulmonary rehabilitation: key messages from the new ATS/ERS policy statement. Eur Respir J. 2016 May. PMID: 27132269
- Rochester CL, Fairburn C, Crouch RH: Pulmonary rehabilitation for respiratory disorders other than chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Clin Chest Med. 2014 Jun. PMID: 24874132
- Rochester CL, Spanevello A: Heterogeneity of pulmonary rehabilitation: like apples and oranges - both healthy fruit. Eur Respir J. 2014 May. PMID: 24789943
- Franssen FM, Rochester CL: Comorbidities in patients with COPD and pulmonary rehabilitation: do they matter? Eur Respir Rev. 2014 Mar 1. PMID: 24591670
- Vaz Fragoso CA, Concato J, McAvay G, Van Ness PH, Rochester CL, Yaggi HK, Gill TM: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in older persons: A comparison of two spirometric definitions. Respir Med. 2010 Aug; 2010 Mar 3. PMID: 20199857
- Vaz Fragoso CA, Concato J, McAvay G, Van Ness PH, Rochester CL, Yaggi HK, Gill TM: The ratio of FEV1 to FVC as a basis for establishing chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2010 Mar 1; 2009 Dec 17. PMID: 20019341
- Rochester CL: Rehabilitation in the intensive care unit. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2009 Dec; 2009 Nov 25. PMID: 19941223
- Vaz Fragoso CA, Concato J, McAvay G, Van Ness PH, Rochester CL, Yaggi HK, Gill TM: Defining chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in older persons. Respir Med. 2009 Oct; 2009 May 21. PMID: 19464159
- Rochester CL: Pulmonary rehabilitation for patients who undergo lung-volume-reduction surgery or lung transplantation. Respir Care. 2008 Sep. PMID: 18718039
- Kang MJ, Homer RJ, Gallo A, Lee CG, Crothers KA, Cho SJ, Rochester C, Cain H, Chupp G, Yoon HJ, Elias JA: IL-18 is induced and IL-18 receptor alpha plays a critical role in the pathogenesis of cigarette smoke-induced pulmonary emphysema and inflammation. J Immunol. 2007 Feb 1. PMID: 17237446
- Rochester CL: Clinical year in review IV: asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, exercise and rehabilitation, and critical care medicine. Proc Am Thorac Soc. 2005. PMID: 16352748
- Rochester CL: Exercise training in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. J Rehabil Res Dev. 2003 Sep-Oct. PMID: 15074454
- Rochester CL, Mohsenin V: Respiratory complications of stroke. Semin Respir Crit Care Med. 2002 Jun. PMID: 16088617