The month of March holds numerous secular and religious celebrations that we wanted to share:
- Ash Wednesday was commemorated on March 2. For Christians, Ash Wednesday marks the start of Lent.
- International Women’s Day, held on March 8, celebrated achievements of women and urges equality.
- Holi, the Hindu festival of colors, marks the start of spring. It was also held on March 8.
- March 17 marks the holiday of Purim, the Jewish festival that celebrates the Biblical story in which Jews living under Persian rule escaped a massacre.
- Nowruz, or Persian New Year, occurs on March 21. Considered one of the oldest holidays, Nowruz is held on the spring equinox and celebrates renewal.
The department is such a diverse mix of backgrounds, cultures, and religions. We hope you enjoy learning about these festivities as much as we like sharing them with you.
We also wanted to let you know about an upcoming event in April. Hosted by Yale School of Medicine Office of Diversity, Equity & Inclusion, and the Department of Neurosurgery, “A Conversation on Daring Leadership with Dr. Brené Brown” will be held on Friday, April 14 from 12 – 1 p.m. Brown, PhD, MSW, has spent the past two decades studying courage, vulnerability, shame, and empathy. The fireside chat will be moderated by Tara Davila, LCSW. Register today on the website.
If there are questions about any Department of Medicine DEI initiatives, or an issue pertaining to DEI across the department for faculty, trainees, or staff, please contact Vandana. If you are a DEI vice chief and have a question or concern, please contact Aba. For GME-related DEI questions, please contact Steve Huot.
We are excited to partner with each of you on DEI initiatives.
Vandana Khungar, MD, MSc (Interim Associate Chair for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion)
Vice Chief for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion | Digestive Diseases
Associate Professor of Medicine
Aba Black, MD, MHS (Interim Associate Chair for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion)
Vice Chief for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion | General Internal Medicine
Assistant Professor of Medicine