Apply to the Yale/Stanford Global Health Scholars Program
Deadline for Program Year 2024-2025 Applications is:
Friday, December 15, 2023.
Virtual Information Session
Physicians-in-training who will have completed at least their internship year of residency training in accredited US programs in Internal Medicine, Primary Care, Family Medicine, Med/Peds, or Emergency Medicine by July 2024 are eligible to apply for the 2024-2025 program year. Yale and Stanford are directly supporting the cost of their successful applicants. Residents from other US-based programs are welcome to apply, but will need to cover the cost of their rotation as well as an administrative fee of $1500; this fee is due to the Yale Department of Internal Medicine’s Office of Global Health prior to the start of the rotation. Very few resident applicants are selected to carry out a rotation during their PGY2 year; we prefer to send Scholars during their PGY3 or PGY4 years, when they have a larger skill set and deeper knowledge base to offer our partner sites. Those training in Pediatrics, Neurology, and Obstetrics & Gynecology are eligible to apply for select sites only. Applicants from US academic medical centers and community-based practices who are board-certified in any specialty are welcome to apply as Career Physicians. Chief Residents and Fellows from Yale or Stanford should apply as Career Physicians.
Please note: It is recommended that all Global Health Scholars should be covered by malpractice insurance during their rotations. The Program does not provide this coverage, however both Yale and Stanford extend malpractice coverage for their residents, fellows, and faculty during approved global health rotations. All other participants are responsible for providing their own malpractice insurance and are encouraged to inquire of their home institutions about the status of their current coverage when practicing medicine abroad.
- Applications and supporting letters for participation must be received by December 15, 2023.
- All applicants will be notified by the end of March, 2024.
- If selected, Scholars (except those at Stanford) are required to attend the Pre-Departure Orientation in New Haven in 2024; the date will be included in the notification letter.
- The rotation will take place between July 1, 2024 and June 30, 2025.
We will accept all components of the application electronically. Please note the specific quality and size requirements for your passport photo.
- Both the Resident and Fellow or Career Physician applications are available for download in Microsoft Word format to be completed and printed.
- a current CV
- a passport photograph (not a scanned selfie) https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/photos.html
- We also require two letters of recommendation, one of which must be from your Program Director if you are a resident or fellow. Click here for a description of what we need the Program Director to address in his/her letter of recommendation; please forward the directions directly to your Program Director. We will accept electronically submitted letters (signed and on letterhead) emailed directly to Laura.email@example.com.
Please send as many components of the application at one time as possible or email, instead of piecemeal.
Laura Crawford, Program Administrator
Yale/Stanford Global Health Scholars Program
Yale School of Medicine
333 Cedar Street PO Box 208030
New Haven, CT 06520
or to firstname.lastname@example.org
You are welcome to hand deliver it (slide it under the door if necessary) to us in FMP101.
It is the applicant’s responsibility to make sure that the letters of recommendation have been submitted. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
To confirm the receipt of your packet, please contact Laura Crawford at email@example.com.
Site Selection & Assignment
Please note that these rotations require a commitment of six weeks, which does include travel time to and from the US. The number of weeks for the rotation is not negotiable. We will make site and date assignments based on the information in the application and on the needs of our sites.
Please plan on scheduling vacation before or after your rotation, not during.
Selection is based upon site availability, dates which residents and senior physicians are available for rotations, and desired experiences. Previous international health experience is not a criterion for participation at the resident level.