China; Drugs, Chinese Herbal; Hong Kong; Medicine, Chinese Traditional; Neoplasms by Histologic Type; Pharmacology
Our laboratory focuses on cancer and viral chemotherapy. We are studying the functional roles and properties of virus-specific proteins in order to design selective antiviral compounds. Some anti-HIV drugs have selective action against mitochondrial DNA synthesis that could lead to toxicity. This observation offered the opportunity to develop new antiviral drugs without such side effects and to examine the role of mitochondrial DNA synthesis in nuclear DNA synthesis. A new class of biological active nucleoside analogs, L(-)nucleosides were discovered. Drug resistance is a critical issue in cancer chemotherapy.
Our laboratory is interested in exploring the mechanisms of drug resistance development, with a special emphasis on the process involved in DNA topoisomerase, targeting drugs and nucleoside analogs. The gene regulator and the inhibitors may not only have use as cancer chemotherapeutic agents, but also in controlling the development of drug resistance. Several novel compounds targeting on NF-KB were discovered by my laboratory and are currently being studied. To exploreChinese medicine for current clinical usage is also pursued.
Specialized Terms; Cancer; Viral chemotherapy; Chinese herbs; Chinese medicine
Traditional Chinese medicine research in the post-genomic era: good practice, priorities, challenges and opportunities.
Uzuner H, Bauer R, Fan TP, Guo DA, Dias A, El-Nezami H, Efferth T, Williamson EM, Heinrich M, Robinson N, Hylands PJ, Hendry BM, Cheng YC, Xu Q. Traditional Chinese medicine research in the post-genomic era: good practice, priorities, challenges and opportunities. Journal Of Ethnopharmacology 2012, 140:458-68.
Blocking HIV-1 entry by a gp120 surface binding inhibitor.
Tsou LK, Chen CH, Dutschman GE, Cheng YC, Hamilton AD. Blocking HIV-1 entry by a gp120 surface binding inhibitor. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry Letters 2012, 22:3358-61.
Therapeutic development in targeting protein-protein interactions with synthetic topological mimetics.
Tsou LK, Cheng Y, Cheng YC. Therapeutic development in targeting protein-protein interactions with synthetic topological mimetics. Current Opinion In Pharmacology 2012, 12:403-7.
Antitumor agents 294. Novel E-ring-modified camptothecin-4β-anilino-4'-O-demethyl-epipodophyllotoxin conjugates as DNA topoisomerase I inhibitors and cytotoxic agents.
Ye D, Shi Q, Leung CH, Kim SW, Park SY, Gullen EA, Jiang ZL, Zhu H, Morris-Natschke SL, Cheng YC, Lee KH. Antitumor agents 294. Novel E-ring-modified camptothecin-4β-anilino-4'-O-demethyl-epipodophyllotoxin conjugates as DNA topoisomerase I inhibitors and cytotoxic agents. Bioorganic & Medicinal Chemistry 2012, 20:4489-94.
Preclinical studies of the Chinese Herbal Medicine formulation PHY906 (KD018) as a potential adjunct to radiation therapy.
Rockwell S, Grove TA, Liu Y, Cheng YC, Higgins SA, Booth CJ. Preclinical studies of the Chinese Herbal Medicine formulation PHY906 (KD018) as a potential adjunct to radiation therapy. International Journal Of Radiation Biology 2013, 89:16-25.
Old formula, new Rx: the journey of PHY906 as cancer adjuvant therapy.
Liu SH, Cheng YC. Old formula, new Rx: the journey of PHY906 as cancer adjuvant therapy. Journal Of Ethnopharmacology 2012, 140:614-23.
Full List of PubMed Publications
- Guan F, Lam W, Hu R, Kim YK, Han H, Cheng YC: Majority of Chinese Medicine Herb Category "Qing Re Yao" Have Multiple Mechanisms of Anti-inflammatory Activity. Sci Rep. 2018 May 9; 2018 May 9. PMID: 29743639
- Chen LL, Verpoorte R, Yen HR, Peng WH, Cheng YC, Chao J, Pao LH: Effects of processing adjuvants on traditional Chinese herbs. J Food Drug Anal. 2018 Apr; 2018 Mar 19. PMID: 29703391
- Xiong Y, Hu Y, Li F, Chen L, Dong Q, Wang J, Gullen EA, Cheng YC, Xiao X: Promotion of quality standard of Chinese herbal medicine by the integrated and efficacy-oriented quality marker of Effect-constituent Index. Phytomedicine. 2018 Mar 7; 2018 Mar 7. PMID: 29551646
- Tan HY, Wang N, Lam W, Guo W, Feng Y, Cheng YC: Targeting tumour microenvironment by tyrosine kinase inhibitor. Mol Cancer. 2018 Feb 19; 2018 Feb 19. PMID: 29455663
- Wang Y, Chen SR, Yang X, Lee KH, Cheng YC: Structure-activity relationships of cryptopleurine analogs with E-ring modifications as anti-hepatitis C virus agents. Bioorg Med Chem. 2018 Feb 1; 2017 Dec 20. PMID: 29317151
- Ye XS, He J, Cheng YC, Zhang L, Qiao HY, Pan XG, Zhang J, Liu SN, Zhang WK, Xu JK: Cornusides A-O, Bioactive Iridoid Glucoside Dimers from the Fruit of Cornus officinalis. J Nat Prod. 2017 Dec 22; 2017 Nov 15. PMID: 29140705
- Chen HH, Chang HH, Chang JY, Tang YC, Cheng YC, Lin LM, Cheng SY, Huang CH, Sun MW, Chen CT, Kuo CC: Enhanced B-Raf-mediated NRF2 gene transcription and HATs-mediated NRF2 protein acetylation contributes to ABCC1-mediated chemoresistance and glutathione-mediated survival in acquired topoisomerase II poison-resistant cancer cells. Free Radic Biol Med. 2017 Dec; 2017 Nov 5. PMID: 29080842
- Xu J, Chu Y, Liao B, Xiao S, Yin Q, Bai R, Su H, Dong L, Li X, Qian J, Zhang J, Zhang Y, Zhang X, Wu M, Zhang J, Li G, Zhang L, Chang Z, Zhang Y, Jia Z, Liu Z, Afreh D, Nahurira R, Zhang L, Cheng R, Zhu Y, Zhu G, Rao W, Zhou C, Qiao L, Huang Z, Cheng YC, Chen S: Panax ginseng genome examination for ginsenoside biosynthesis. Gigascience. 2017 Nov 1. PMID: 29048480
- Xi D, Bao T, Chen Q, Chen S, Cheng YC, Cullen J, Frank DA, Friedberg JW, Kronish I, Lee JE, Levine M, Li P, Li S, Lu W, Mao JJ, O'Keefe S, Rubinstein L, Shah MA, Standish L, Paller CJ, Chu E: State of the Science: Cancer Complementary and Alternative Medicine Therapeutics Research-NCI Strategic Workshop Highlights of Discussion Report. J Natl Cancer Inst Monogr. 2017 Nov 1. PMID: 29140484
- Chao J, Dai Y, Verpoorte R, Lam W, Cheng YC, Pao LH, Zhang W, Chen S: Major achievements of evidence-based traditional Chinese medicine in treating major diseases. Biochem Pharmacol. 2017 Sep 1; 2017 Jun 19. PMID: 28636884
- Corona A, Onnis V, Deplano A, Bianco G, Demurtas M, Distinto S, Cheng YC, Alcaro S, Esposito F, Tramontano E: Design, synthesis and antiviral evaluation of novel heteroarylcarbothioamide derivatives as dual inhibitors of HIV-1 reverse transcriptase-associated RNase H and RDDP functions. Pathog Dis. 2017 Aug 31. PMID: 28859311
- Wang Y, Lee S, Ha Y, Lam W, Chen SR, Dutschman GE, Gullen EA, Grill SP, Cheng Y, Fürstner A, Francis S, Baker DC, Yang X, Lee KH, Cheng YC: Tylophorine Analogs Allosterically Regulates Heat Shock Cognate Protein 70 And Inhibits Hepatitis C Virus Replication. Sci Rep. 2017 Aug 30; 2017 Aug 30. PMID: 28855547
- Zhou X, Chen LL, Xie RF, Lam W, Zhang ZJ, Jiang ZL, Cheng YC: Chemosynthesis pathway and bioactivities comparison of saponins in radix and flower of Panax notoginseng (Burk.) F.H. Chen. J Ethnopharmacol. 2017 Apr 6; 2016 Nov 9. PMID: 27838357
- Chao J, Dai Y, Cheng HY, Lam W, Cheng YC, Li K, Peng WH, Pao LH, Hsieh MT, Qin XM, Lee MS: Improving the Concentrations of the Active Components in the Herbal Tea Ingredient, Uraria crinita: The Effect of Post-harvest Oven-drying Processing. Sci Rep. 2017 Jan 12; 2017 Jan 12. PMID: 28079108
- Wang Y, Lam W, Chen SR, Guan FL, Dutchman GE, Francis S, Baker DC, Cheng YC: Tylophorine Analog DCB-3503 Inhibited Cyclin D1 Translation through Allosteric Regulation of Heat Shock Cognate Protein 70. Sci Rep. 2016 Sep 6; 2016 Sep 6. PMID: 27596272
- Tsou LK, Lara-Tejero M, RoseFigura J, Zhang ZJ, Wang YC, Yount JS, Lefebre M, Dossa PD, Kato J, Guan F, Lam W, Cheng YC, Galán JE, Hang HC: Antibacterial Flavonoids from Medicinal Plants Covalently Inactivate Type III Protein Secretion Substrates. J Am Chem Soc. 2016 Feb 24; 2016 Feb 16. PMID: 26847396
- Qin XJ, Yu MY, Ni W, Yan H, Chen CX, Cheng YC, He L, Liu HY: Steroidal saponins from stems and leaves of Paris polyphylla var. yunnanensis. Phytochemistry. 2016 Jan; 2015 Nov 3. PMID: 26546502
- Wang J, Jiang Z, Lam W, Gullen EA, Yu Z, Wei Y, Wang L, Zeiss C, Beck A, Cheng EC, Wu C, Cheng YC, Zhang Y: Study of Malformin C, a Fungal Source Cyclic Pentapeptide, as an Anti-Cancer Drug. PLoS One. 2015; 2015 Nov 5. PMID: 26540166
- Martín Sánchez C, Pérez Martín JM, Jin JS, Dávalos A, Zhang W, de la Peña G, Martínez-Botas J, Rodríguez-Acebes S, Suárez Y, Hazen MJ, Gómez-Coronado D, Busto R, Cheng YC, Lasunción MA: Disruption of the mevalonate pathway induces dNTP depletion and DNA damage. Biochim Biophys Acta. 2015 Sep; 2015 Jun 5. PMID: 26055626
- Wu L, Sun W, Wang B, Zhao H, Li Y, Cai S, Xiang L, Zhu Y, Yao H, Song J, Cheng YC, Chen S: An integrated system for identifying the hidden assassins in traditional medicines containing aristolochic acids. Sci Rep. 2015 Aug 13; 2015 Aug 13. PMID: 26270958
- Lam W, Jiang Z, Guan F, Huang X, Hu R, Wang J, Bussom S, Liu SH, Zhao H, Yen Y, Cheng YC: PHY906(KD018), an adjuvant based on a 1800-year-old Chinese medicine, enhanced the anti-tumor activity of Sorafenib by changing the tumor microenvironment. Sci Rep. 2015 Mar 30; 2015 Mar 30. PMID: 25819872
- Liu SH, Chuang WC, Lam W, Jiang Z, Cheng YC: Safety surveillance of traditional Chinese medicine: current and future. Drug Saf. 2015 Feb. PMID: 25647717
- Cheng YC: Opportunities for traditional Chinese medicine to address unmet challenges in modern healthcare. J Tradit Complement Med. 2015 Jan; 2015 Jan 7. PMID: 26151011
- Lam W, Jiang Z, Guan F, Hu R, Liu SH, Chu E, Cheng YC: The number of intestinal bacteria is not critical for the enhancement of antitumor activity and reduction of intestinal toxicity of irinotecan by the Chinese herbal medicine PHY906 (KD018). BMC Complement Altern Med. 2014 Dec 15; 2014 Dec 15. PMID: 25510341
- Fan J, Wang Y, Xiong H, Guo X, Cheng YC: Impact of the rtI187V polymerase substitution of hepatitis B virus on viral replication and antiviral drug susceptibility. J Gen Virol. 2014 Nov; 2014 Jul 15. PMID: 25028473
- Rockwell S, Grove TA, Liu Y, Cheng YC, Higgins SA, Booth CJ: Preclinical studies of the Chinese Herbal Medicine formulation PHY906 (KD018) as a potential adjunct to radiation therapy. Int J Radiat Biol. 2013 Jan; 2012 Sep 3. PMID: 22856538
- Tsou LK, Chen CH, Dutschman GE, Cheng YC, Hamilton AD: Blocking HIV-1 entry by a gp120 surface binding inhibitor. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2012 May 1; 2012 Mar 2. PMID: 22487177
- Wang Y, Wong HC, Gullen EA, Lam W, Yang X, Shi Q, Lee KH, Cheng YC: Cryptopleurine analogs with modification of e ring exhibit different mechanism to rac-cryptopleurine and tylophorine. PLoS One. 2012; 2012 Dec 10. PMID: 23251437
- Cheng YC: Why and how to globalize traditional chinese medicine. J Tradit Complement Med. 2011 Oct. PMID: 24716099
- Zhang W, Tan S, Paintsil E, Dutschman GE, Gullen EA, Chu E, Cheng YC: Analysis of deoxyribonucleotide pools in human cancer cell lines using a liquid chromatography coupled with tandem mass spectrometry technique. Biochem Pharmacol. 2011 Aug 15; 2011 May 18. PMID: 21620803
- Zhang W, Dutschman GE, Li X, Cheng YC: Quantitation of paclitaxel and its two major metabolites using a liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2011 Jul 15; 2011 May 25. PMID: 21705287
- Kummar S, Copur MS, Rose M, Wadler S, Stephenson J, O'Rourke M, Brenckman W, Tilton R, Liu SH, Jiang Z, Su T, Cheng YC, Chu E: A phase I study of the chinese herbal medicine PHY906 as a modulator of irinotecan-based chemotherapy in patients with advanced colorectal cancer. Clin Colorectal Cancer. 2011 Jun; 2011 Apr 22. PMID: 21859559
- Hu R, Lam W, Hsu CH, Cheng YC: UMP/CMPK is not the critical enzyme in the metabolism of pyrimidine ribonucleotide and activation of deoxycytidine analogs in human RKO cells. PLoS One. 2011 May 3; 2011 May 3. PMID: 21559290
- Leizer AL, Alvero AB, Fu HH, Holmberg JC, Cheng YC, Silasi DA, Rutherford T, Mor G: Regulation of inflammation by the NF-κB pathway in ovarian cancer stem cells. Am J Reprod Immunol. 2011 Apr; 2010 Sep 6. PMID: 20825380
- Paintsil E, Dutschman GE, Hu R, Grill SP, Wang CJ, Lam W, Li FY, Ghebremichael M, Northrup V, Cheng YC: Determinants of individual variation in intracellular accumulation of anti-HIV nucleoside analog metabolites. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2011 Feb; 2010 Nov 15. PMID: 21078952
- Zhang W, Saif MW, Dutschman GE, Li X, Lam W, Bussom S, Jiang Z, Ye M, Chu E, Cheng YC: Identification of chemicals and their metabolites from PHY906, a Chinese medicine formulation, in the plasma of a patient treated with irinotecan and PHY906 using liquid chromatography/tandem mass spectrometry (LC/MS/MS). J Chromatogr A. 2010 Sep 10; 2010 Jul 21. PMID: 20696432
- Hines J, Ju R, Dutschman GE, Cheng YC, Crews CM: Reversal of TNP-470-induced endothelial cell growth arrest by guanine and guanine nucleosides. J Pharmacol Exp Ther. 2010 Sep 1; 2010 Jun 22. PMID: 20571059
- Tilton R, Paiva AA, Guan JQ, Marathe R, Jiang Z, van Eyndhoven W, Bjoraker J, Prusoff Z, Wang H, Liu SH, Cheng YC: A comprehensive platform for quality control of botanical drugs (PhytomicsQC): a case study of Huangqin Tang (HQT) and PHY906. Chin Med. 2010 Aug 20; 2010 Aug 20. PMID: 20727161
- Lam W, Bussom S, Guan F, Jiang Z, Zhang W, Gullen EA, Liu SH, Cheng YC: The four-herb Chinese medicine PHY906 reduces chemotherapy-induced gastrointestinal toxicity. Sci Transl Med. 2010 Aug 18. PMID: 20720216
- Wang Y, Gao W, Svitkin YV, Chen AP, Cheng YC: DCB-3503, a tylophorine analog, inhibits protein synthesis through a novel mechanism. PLoS One. 2010 Jul 15; 2010 Jul 15. PMID: 20657652
- Tsou LK, Dutschman GE, Gullen EA, Telpoukhovskaia M, Cheng YC, Hamilton AD: Discovery of a synthetic dual inhibitor of HIV and HCV infection based on a tetrabutoxy-calixarene scaffold. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2010 Apr 1; 2010 Feb 13. PMID: 20202840
- Cheng Y, Tsou LK, Cai J, Aya T, Dutschman GE, Gullen EA, Grill SP, Chen AP, Lindenbach BD, Hamilton AD, Cheng YC: A novel class of meso-tetrakis-porphyrin derivatives exhibits potent activities against hepatitis C virus genotype 1b replicons in vitro. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2010 Jan; 2009 Nov 9. PMID: 19901090
- Ying C, Tan S, Cheng YC: Helioxanthin analogue 8-1 inhibits duck hepatitis B virus replication in cell culture. Antivir Chem Chemother. 2010. PMID: 21107018
- Yang G, Paintsil E, Dutschman GE, Grill SP, Wang CJ, Wang J, Tanaka H, Hamasaki T, Baba M, Cheng YC: Impact of novel human immunodeficiency virus type 1 reverse transcriptase mutations P119S and T165A on 4'-ethynylthymidine analog resistance profile. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009 Nov; 2009 Aug 24. PMID: 19704131
- Wang CJ, Lam W, Bussom S, Chang HM, Cheng YC: TREX1 acts in degrading damaged DNA from drug-treated tumor cells. DNA Repair (Amst). 2009 Oct 2; 2009 Jul 18. PMID: 19617005
- Zhang W, Dutschman GE, Li X, Ye M, Cheng YC: Quantitation of Irinotecan and its two major metabolites using a liquid chromatography-electrospray ionization tandem mass spectrometric. J Chromatogr B Analyt Technol Biomed Life Sci. 2009 Oct 1; 2009 Jul 24. PMID: 19648066
- Wang X, Tanaka H, Baba M, Cheng YC: Retention of metabolites of 2',3'-didehydro-3'-deoxy-4'-ethynylthymidine, a novel anti-human immunodeficiency virus type 1 thymidine analog, in cells. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009 Aug; 2009 May 26. PMID: 19470503
- Paintsil E, Grill SP, Dutschman GE, Cheng YC: Comparative study of the persistence of anti-HIV activity of deoxynucleoside HIV reverse transcriptase inhibitors after removal from culture. AIDS Res Ther. 2009 Apr 22; 2009 Apr 22. PMID: 19386130
- Lam W, Bussom S, Cheng YC: Effect of hypoxia on the expression of phosphoglycerate kinase and antitumor activity of troxacitabine and gemcitabine in non-small cell lung carcinoma. Mol Cancer Ther. 2009 Feb; 2009 Feb 10. PMID: 19208827
- Huang ST, Lee Y, Gullen EA, Cheng YC: Impacts of baicalein analogs with modification of the 6th position of A ring on the activity toward NF-kappaB-, AP-1-, or CREB-mediated transcription. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2008 Sep 15; 2008 Aug 6. PMID: 18722769
- Yang G, Wang J, Cheng Y, Dutschman GE, Tanaka H, Baba M, Cheng YC: Mechanism of inhibition of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 reverse transcriptase by a stavudine analogue, 4'-ethynyl stavudine triphosphate. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2008 Jun; 2008 Apr 7. PMID: 18391035
- Park SY, Leung CH, Cheng YC: ATP modulates poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1-facilitated topoisomerase I-linked DNA religation in the presence of camptothecin. Mol Pharmacol. 2008 Jun; 2008 Mar 18. PMID: 18349103
- Gao W, Chen AP, Leung CH, Gullen EA, Fürstner A, Shi Q, Wei L, Lee KH, Cheng YC: Structural analogs of tylophora alkaloids may not be functional analogs. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2008 Jan 15; 2007 Nov 21. PMID: 18077159
- Paintsil E, Dutschman GE, Hu R, Grill SP, Lam W, Baba M, Tanaka H, Cheng YC: Intracellular metabolism and persistence of the anti-human immunodeficiency virus activity of 2',3'-didehydro-3'-deoxy-4'-ethynylthymidine, a novel thymidine analog. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2007 Nov; 2007 Aug 27. PMID: 17724147
- Saif MW, Berk G, Cheng YC, Kinsella TJ: IPdR: a novel oral radiosensitizer. Expert Opin Investig Drugs. 2007 Sep. PMID: 17714027
- Lam W, Leung CH, Bussom S, Cheng YC: The impact of hypoxic treatment on the expression of phosphoglycerate kinase and the cytotoxicity of troxacitabine and gemcitabine. Mol Pharmacol. 2007 Sep; 2007 Jun 12. PMID: 17565005
- Gao W, Bussom S, Grill SP, Gullen EA, Hu YC, Huang X, Zhong S, Kaczmarek C, Gutierrez J, Francis S, Baker DC, Yu S, Cheng YC: Structure-activity studies of phenanthroindolizidine alkaloids as potential antitumor agents. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2007 Aug 1; 2007 May 16. PMID: 17531481
- Rodrigues MA, Gomes DA, Leite MF, Grant W, Zhang L, Lam W, Cheng YC, Bennett AM, Nathanson MH: Nucleoplasmic calcium is required for cell proliferation. J Biol Chem. 2007 Jun 8; 2007 Apr 9. PMID: 17420246
- Ying C, Li Y, Leung CH, Robek MD, Cheng YC: Unique antiviral mechanism discovered in anti-hepatitis B virus research with a natural product analogue. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 May 15; 2007 May 8. PMID: 17488817
- Hsu CH, Hu R, Dutschman GE, Yang G, Krishnan P, Tanaka H, Baba M, Cheng YC: Comparison of the phosphorylation of 4'-ethynyl 2',3'-dihydro-3'-deoxythymidine with that of other anti-human immunodeficiency virus thymidine analogs. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2007 May; 2007 Mar 12. PMID: 17353236
- Yang G, Dutschman GE, Wang CJ, Tanaka H, Baba M, Anderson KS, Cheng YC: Highly selective action of triphosphate metabolite of 4'-ethynyl D4T: a novel anti-HIV compound against HIV-1 RT. Antiviral Res. 2007 Mar; 2006 Nov 10. PMID: 17109975
- Ye M, Liu SH, Jiang Z, Lee Y, Tilton R, Cheng YC: Liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry analysis of PHY906, a Chinese medicine formulation for cancer therapy. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom. 2007. PMID: 17944003
- Leung CH, Grill SP, Lam W, Gao W, Sun HD, Cheng YC: Eriocalyxin B inhibits nuclear factor-kappaB activation by interfering with the binding of both p65 and p50 to the response element in a noncompetitive manner. Mol Pharmacol. 2006 Dec; 2006 Aug 29. PMID: 16940413
- Choi JY, Gao W, Odegard J, Shiah HS, Kashgarian M, McNiff JM, Baker DC, Cheng YC, Craft J: Abrogation of skin disease in LUPUS-prone MRL/FASlpr mice by means of a novel tylophorine analog. Arthritis Rheum. 2006 Oct. PMID: 17009262
- Shiah HS, Gao W, Baker DC, Cheng YC: Inhibition of cell growth and nuclear factor-kappaB activity in pancreatic cancer cell lines by a tylophorine analogue, DCB-3503. Mol Cancer Ther. 2006 Oct. PMID: 17041092
- Lacy J, Loomis R, Grill S, Srimatkandada P, Carbone R, Cheng YC: Systemic Bcl-2 antisense oligodeoxynucleotide in combination with cisplatin cures EBV+ nasopharyngeal carcinoma xenografts in SCID mice. Int J Cancer. 2006 Jul 15. PMID: 16477627
- Lam W, Park SY, Leung CH, Cheng YC: Apurinic/apyrimidinic endonuclease-1 protein level is associated with the cytotoxicity of L-configuration deoxycytidine analogs (troxacitabine and beta-L-2',3'-dideoxy-2',3'-didehydro-5-fluorocytidine) but not D-configuration deoxycytidine analogs (gemcitabine and beta-D-arabinofuranosylcytosine). Mol Pharmacol. 2006 May; 2006 Feb 15. PMID: 16481390
- You X, Pan M, Gao W, Shiah HS, Tao J, Zhang D, Koumpouras F, Wang S, Zhao H, Madri JA, Baker D, Cheng YC, Yin Z: Effects of a novel tylophorine analog on collagen-induced arthritis through inhibition of the innate immune response. Arthritis Rheum. 2006 Mar. PMID: 16508970
- Cheng YC, Ying CX, Leung CH, Li Y: New targets and inhibitors of HBV replication to combat drug resistance. J Clin Virol. 2005 Dec. PMID: 16461217
- Leung CH, Grill SP, Lam W, Han QB, Sun HD, Cheng YC: Novel mechanism of inhibition of nuclear factor-kappa B DNA-binding activity by diterpenoids isolated from Isodon rubescens. Mol Pharmacol. 2005 Aug; 2005 May 4. PMID: 15872117
- Hu R, Li L, Degrève B, Dutschman GE, Lam W, Cheng YC: Behavior of thymidylate kinase toward monophosphate metabolites and its role in the metabolism of 1-(2'-deoxy-2'-fluoro-beta-L-arabinofuranosyl)-5-methyluracil (Clevudine) and 2',3'-didehydro-2',3'-dideoxythymidine in cells. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005 May. PMID: 15855530
- Ray AS, Hernandez-Santiago BI, Mathew JS, Murakami E, Bozeman C, Xie MY, Dutschman GE, Gullen E, Yang Z, Hurwitz S, Cheng YC, Chu CK, McClure H, Schinazi RF, Anderson KS: Mechanism of anti-human immunodeficiency virus activity of beta-D-6-cyclopropylamino-2',3'-didehydro-2',3'-dideoxyguanosine. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2005 May. PMID: 15855524
- Park SY, Cheng YC: Poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase-1 could facilitate the religation of topoisomerase I-linked DNA inhibited by camptothecin. Cancer Res. 2005 May 1. PMID: 15867389
- Hsu CH, Liou JY, Dutschman GE, Cheng YC: Phosphorylation of Cytidine, Deoxycytidine, and Their Analog Monophosphates by Human UMP/CMP Kinase Is Differentially Regulated by ATP and Magnesium. Mol Pharmacol. 2005 Mar; 2004 Nov 18. PMID: 15550676
- Lam W, Chen C, Ruan S, Leung CH, Cheng YC: Expression of deoxynucleotide carrier is not associated with the mitochondrial DNA depletion caused by anti-HIV dideoxynucleoside analogs and mitochondrial dNTP uptake. Mol Pharmacol. 2005 Feb; 2004 Nov 11. PMID: 15539640
- Yeo H, Li Y, Fu L, Zhu JL, Gullen EA, Dutschman GE, Lee Y, Chung R, Huang ES, Austin DJ, Cheng YC: Synthesis and antiviral activity of helioxanthin analogues. J Med Chem. 2005 Jan 27. PMID: 15658867
- Li Y, Fu L, Yeo H, Zhu JL, Chou CK, Kou YH, Yeh SF, Gullen E, Austin D, Cheng YC: Inhibition of hepatitis B virus gene expression and replication by helioxanthin and its derivative. Antivir Chem Chemother. 2005. PMID: 16004082
- Liu MC, Luo MZ, Mozdziesz DE, Dutschman GE, Gullen EA, Cheng YC, Sartorelli AC: Synthesis and biological evaluation of 2',3'-didehydro-2',3'-dideoxy-9-deazaguanosine, a monophosphate prodrug and two analogues, 2',3'-dideoxy-9-deazaguanosine and 2',3'-didehydro-2',3'-dideoxy-9-deazainosine. Nucleosides Nucleotides Nucleic Acids. 2005. PMID: 15822619
- Lee Y, Yeo H, Liu SH, Jiang Z, Savizky RM, Austin DJ, Cheng YC: Increased anti-P-glycoprotein activity of baicalein by alkylation on the A ring. J Med Chem. 2004 Oct 21. PMID: 15481991
- Kim TE, Park SY, Hsu CH, Dutschman GE, Cheng YC: Synergistic antitumor activity of troxacitabine and camptothecin in selected human cancer cell lines. Mol Pharmacol. 2004 Aug. PMID: 15266019
- Dutschman GE, Grill SP, Gullen EA, Haraguchi K, Takeda S, Tanaka H, Baba M, Cheng YC: Novel 4'-substituted stavudine analog with improved anti-human immunodeficiency virus activity and decreased cytotoxicity. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2004 May. PMID: 15105115
- Lam W, Li Y, Liou JY, Dutschman GE, Cheng YC: Reverse transcriptase activity of hepatitis B virus (HBV) DNA polymerase within core capsid: interaction with deoxynucleoside triphosphates and anti-HBV L-deoxynucleoside analog triphosphates. Mol Pharmacol. 2004 Feb. PMID: 14742682
- Gao W, Lam W, Zhong S, Kaczmarek C, Baker DC, Cheng YC: Novel mode of action of tylophorine analogs as antitumor compounds. Cancer Res. 2004 Jan 15. PMID: 14744785
- Krishnan P, Gullen EA, Lam W, Dutschman GE, Grill SP, Cheng YC: Novel role of 3-phosphoglycerate kinase, a glycolytic enzyme, in the activation of L-nucleoside analogs, a new class of anticancer and antiviral agents. J Biol Chem. 2003 Sep 19; 2003 Jul 16. PMID: 12869554
- Gratton JP, Lin MI, Yu J, Weiss ED, Jiang ZL, Fairchild TA, Iwakiri Y, Groszmann R, Claffey KP, Cheng YC, Sessa WC: Selective inhibition of tumor microvascular permeability by cavtratin blocks tumor progression in mice. Cancer Cell. 2003 Jul. PMID: 12892711
- Chou KM, Cheng YC: The exonuclease activity of human apurinic/apyrimidinic endonuclease (APE1). Biochemical properties and inhibition by the natural dinucleotide Gp4G. J Biol Chem. 2003 May 16; 2003 Mar 6. PMID: 12624104
- Liou JY, Krishnan P, Hsieh CC, Dutschman GE, Cheng YC: Assessment of the effect of phosphorylated metabolites of anti-human immunodeficiency virus and anti-hepatitis B virus pyrimidine analogs on the behavior of human deoxycytidylate deaminase. Mol Pharmacol. 2003 Jan. PMID: 12488542
- Krishnan P, Liou JY, Cheng YC: Phosphorylation of pyrimidine L-deoxynucleoside analog diphosphates. Kinetics of phosphorylation and dephosphorylation of nucleoside analog diphosphates and triphosphates by 3-phosphoglycerate kinase. J Biol Chem. 2002 Aug 30; 2002 Jun 21. PMID: 12080078
- Liou JY, Dutschman GE, Lam W, Jiang Z, Cheng YC: Characterization of human UMP/CMP kinase and its phosphorylation of D- and L-form deoxycytidine analogue monophosphates. Cancer Res. 2002 Mar 15. PMID: 11912132
- Krishnan P, Fu Q, Lam W, Liou JY, Dutschman G, Cheng YC: Phosphorylation of pyrimidine deoxynucleoside analog diphosphates: selective phosphorylation of L-nucleoside analog diphosphates by 3-phosphoglycerate kinase. J Biol Chem. 2002 Feb 15; 2001 Dec 11. PMID: 11741981
- Chou KM, Cheng YC: An exonucleolytic activity of human apurinic/apyrimidinic endonuclease on 3' mispaired DNA. Nature. 2002 Feb 7. PMID: 11832948
- Park SY, Lam W, Cheng YC: X-ray repair cross-complementing gene I protein plays an important role in camptothecin resistance. Cancer Res. 2002 Jan 15. PMID: 11809696