Medical Student Opportunities
- Yale medical students can apply for electives by contacting the Manager of Medical Education in OB/GYN, Janice Crabtree, at email@example.com
- Ob/Gyn Elective Catalog Listing
- Visiting U.S. medical students can apply for electives by completing the application through YSM Student Affairs.
- Visiting International medical students can apply for electives by completing this application.
- The purpose of the oncology elective is to enhance the student's knowledge of the diagnosis and management of women with gynecologic malignancies. The elective is offered to one student at a time for four weeks. The student is exposed to all modalities of treatment for gynecologic malignancies including radical gynecological surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy. This elective/sub-internship is offered for both Yale and visiting students.
- The Maternal-Fetal Medicine Division of the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences offers a four-week High-Risk Obstetrics elective for Fourth-Year medical students. The student will function as a Sub-Intern and team member in the care of high-risk obstetrical patients. This elective/sub-internship is offered for both Yale and visiting students.
Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility/IVF
- The Reproductive Endocrine and Infertility division offers a four-week Sub-Internship to students. In addition to gaining knowledge of human reproductive endocrine function, students are introduced to disruptions in physiology and function leading to endocrinological and infertility problems. This elective/sub-internship is offered for both Yale and visiting students.
- This elective is geared to students who seek a broader exposure to ambulatory care in the field of obstetrics and gynecology. The elective aims to provide a broad exposure to issues such as contraception, prenatal care, menstrual abnormalities, pelvic pain, vaginitis and sexually transmitted disease, infertility, disorders of urinary continence, screening for gynecologic malignancies, and management of menopausal symptoms that are commonly encountered in the ambulatory setting. This elective is offered only to Yale medical students.
- This two- or four-week elective provides hands on experience in family planning at a free standing women’s clinic. Family planning clinics provide resources to enable couples to determine whether, when, and how often to have children, with special consideration to birth spacing and maternal and child health.
Gallup Indian Medical Center (GIMC)
- The general OB/GYN department of the Gallup Indian Medical Center (GIMC) in New Mexico offers a sub-internship in Obstetrics and Gynecology to Fourth-Year Yale Medical Students. This center provides OB/GYN health care to a growing underserved population. This elective is offered to Yale medical students and Physician Associates.
Bridgeport Hospital General Ob/Gyn
- During this four week elective, the students will actively participate in an Ob/Gyn team-centered learning environment at a community hospital. This elective/sub-internship is offered to both Yale and visiting students.
Urogynecology & Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery Service
- Students will be taught about the normal and abnormal physiology and function of the female pelvic floor. Students will be introduced to the diagnosis and management of female pelvic floor disorders, namely lower urinary tract disorders, pelvic organ prolapse and defecatory disorders. Common problems encountered by Urogynecologists, including urinary incontinence, recurrent urinary tract infections, cystocele, rectocele, uterine prolapse, vaginal vault prolapse after hysterectomy, microscopic hematuria, dyspareunia, interstitial cystitis, anal incontinence and constipation. Exposure to advanced pelvic floor reconstructive surgery is also integrated into this elective. In addition to clinical activities in the office and the hospital, students will have the opportunity to attend section didactics.