Medical Student Opportunities
- Yale medical students can apply for electives by contacting the Manager of Medical Education in OB/GYN, Janice Crabtree, at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ob/Gyn Elective Catalog Listing
- Visiting U.S. medical students can apply for electives by completing the application through YSM Student Affairs.
- Visiting International medical students can apply for electives by completing this application once Covid restrictions have eased (date TBD).
- The purpose of the oncology elective is to enhance the student's knowledge of the diagnosis and management of women with gynecologic malignancies. The elective is offered to one student at a time for four weeks. The student is exposed to all modalities of treatment for gynecologic malignancies including radical gynecological surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy. This elective/sub-internship is offered for both Yale and visiting students.
- Maternal-Fetal Medicine
- The Maternal-Fetal Medicine Division of the Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences offers a four-week High-Risk Obstetrics elective for Fourth-Year medical students. The student will function as a Sub-Intern and team member in the care of high-risk obstetrical patients. This elective/sub-internship is offered for both Yale and visiting students.
- Reproductive Endocrinology & Infertility/IVF
- The Reproductive Endocrine and Infertility division offers a four-week Sub-Internship to students. In addition to gaining knowledge of human reproductive endocrine function, students are introduced to disruptions in physiology and function leading to endocrinological and infertility problems. This elective/sub-internship is offered for both Yale and visiting students.
- Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology
This 4-week sub-internship or 2-week elective provides hands-on experience in Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology in both inpatient and outpatient clinical settings. In the mornings, students attend rounds with supervising attending and Ob/Gyn & Pediatric and/or pediatrics residents. Students are exposed to acute, common as well as rare pediatric and adolescent gynecologic disorders. The students will obtain histories and perform examinations on newly admitted patients or consult patients. Bedside discussions regarding diagnosis, work up and treatment are encouraged. Students will mainly work in the Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology consultation service and outpatient clinics. The consultation service exposes students to various acute conditions in Pediatric and Adolescent Gynecology.
- Family Planning
- This two- or four-week elective provides hands on experience in family planning at a free standing women’s clinic. Family planning clinics provide resources to enable couples to determine whether, when, and how often to have children, with special consideration to birth spacing and maternal and child health.
- Bridgeport Hospital General Ob/Gyn
- During this four week elective, the students will actively participate in an Ob/Gyn team-centered learning environment at a community hospital. This elective/sub-internship is offered to both Yale and visiting students.
- Urogynecology & Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery Service
- Students will be taught about the normal and abnormal physiology and function of the female pelvic floor. Students will be introduced to the diagnosis and management of female pelvic floor disorders, namely lower urinary tract disorders, pelvic organ prolapse and defecatory disorders. Common problems encountered by Urogynecologists, including urinary incontinence, recurrent urinary tract infections, cystocele, rectocele, uterine prolapse, vaginal vault prolapse after hysterectomy, microscopic hematuria, dyspareunia, interstitial cystitis, anal incontinence and constipation. Exposure to advanced pelvic floor reconstructive surgery is also integrated into this elective. In addition to clinical activities in the office and the hospital, students will have the opportunity to attend section didactics.