In Maternal-Fetal Medicine (MFM)
- Drs. Edward Hon and Orvan Hess - Invented fetal heart monitor.
- Drs. John Hobbins and Peter Grannum - Pioneered the art and science of prenatal diagnosis and fetal therapy.
- Dr. Roberto Romero - Made crucial contributions in discerning the pathogenesis of prematurity.
- Drs. Al Reece and Donald Coustan - Uncovered the basic mechanisms leading to diabetic embryopathy and fetopathy, respectively.
- Dr. Edith Jackson Rooming-in.
- Drs. Joshua Copel and Charles Kleinman - Pioneered fetal echocardiography and the management of fetal arrhythmias.
- Dr. Charles Lockwood - Helped discover the first biochemical predictor of prematurity and the first ultrasound biometric screen for fetal Down syndrome.
- Dr. Gian Carlo Mari - Discovery of MCA Doppler to diagnose Fetal Anemia.
In Reproductive Endocrinology and Infertility (REI)
- Drs. Speroff, Glass and Kase - Rendered sensible the field of clinical reproductive endocrinology through their outstanding textbook; developed ovulation induction.
- Dr. Alan DeCherney - Improved upon the diagnosis and treatment of ectopic pregnancy and endometriosis.
The Department spawned an extraordinary number of current or former chairs of departments of Ob/Gyn from among its former faculty, fellows and residents:
Chairs of Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Dr. Ray Bahado-Singh - Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
- Dr. Richard Berkowitz - Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Dr. Frank Chervenak - Cornell University
- Dr. Donald Coustan - Brown University
- Dr. Alan DeCherney - Tufts University and the University of California at Los Angeles
- Dr. Philip DiSaia - University of California Irvine
- Dr. David Gershenson - MD Anderson Cancer Center
- Dr. Robert Goldenberg - University of Alabama-Birmingham
- Dr. John Grossman - George Washington University
- Dr. Chaur-Dong Hsu – Wayne State University School of Medicine
- Dr. Nathan Kase - Mt. Sinai School of Medicine
- Dr. David Keefe - New York University Langone Medical Center
- Dr. Jack Larsen - George Washington University
- Dr. Phyllis Leppert - SUNY Buffalo, currently Vice Chair, Duke University
- Dr. Charles Lockwood – NYU, Yale School of Medicine
- Dr. Giancarlo Mari - University of Tennessee Health Science Center College of Medicine
- Dr. Luigi Mastroianni, Jr. – University of Pennsylvania
- Dr. Frederick Naftolin - Yale School of Medicine
- Dr. Errol Norwitz - Tufts University School of Medicine and Tufts Medical Center
- Dr. Mary Lake Polan – Stanford University
- Dr. Edward J. Quilligan - Yale School of Medicine, University of Wisconsin, and U.C. Davis
- Dr. E. Albert Reece - Temple University
- Dr. Robert Resnik - University of California at San Diego
- Dr. Leon Speroff - Case Western Reserve University
- Dr. Hugh Taylor - Yale School of Medicine
- Dr. Alan Weingold - George Washington University
- Dr. Hung Winn - University of Missouri
Five of the Department's former faculty were named deans of schools of medicine:
- Dr. Nathan Kase - Mount Sinai School of Medicine
- Dr. Edward Quilligan - Dean and Vice Chancellor, University of California Irvine
- Dr. E. Albert Reece - University of Arkansas, Currently Dean of University of Maryland
- Dr. Robert Grossman – George Washington University
- Dr. Charles J. Lockwood - Senior Vice President, USF Health, Dean, USF Health Morsani College of Medicine University of South Florida
Five former faculty members who hold or held important positions at the National Institutes of Health:
- Dr. Alan DeCherney
- Dr. Florence Haseltine
- Dr. Phyllis Leppert
- Dr. Roberto Romero
- Dr. Pamela Stratton
This tradition continues today led by outstanding physicians in all the subspecialties including:
- Dr. Mert Ozan Bahtiyar - Director, Yale Fetal Care Center
- Dr. Joshua Copel - Vice Chair, Obstetrics; Director of Fetal Echocardiography
- Dr. Linda Fan - Director, General Gynecology
- Dr. Jessica Illuzzi - Director, Laborist & Midwifery; Medical Studies; Clerkship Director
- Dr. Lubna Pal - Director, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) Program; Director, Menopause program; Interim Section Chief, REI; REI Fellowship Director
- Dr. Pasquale Patrizio - Director, Fertility Preservation Program
- Dr. Peter Schwartz - John Slade Ely Professor of Obstetrics, Gynecology, and Reproductive Sciences; Vice Chair, Gynecology; Section Chief, Gynecologic Oncology
- Dr. Emre Seli - Egg Donation and Gestational Surrogacy Program
- Dr. Nancy Stanwood - Section Chief, Family Planning
- Dr. Hugh Taylor - Anita O'Keeffe Young Professor and Chair Department of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences Yale School of Medicine; Chief of Obstetrics and Gynecology Yale-New Haven Hospital
Our physicians consistently named New York and Connecticut Magazine Best Doctors
- Dr. Masoud Azodi
- Dr. Joshua Copel
- Dr. Urania Magriples
- Dr. Michael Paidas
- Dr. Pasquale Patrizio
- Dr. Alessandro Santin
- Dr. Peter Schwartz
- Dr. Hugh Taylor
Our reproductive scientists and clinical investigators are highly productive researchers.
- We have over $8.5 million in annual NIH grant support.
- We rank in the top 4 among University departments of Ob/Gyn nationwide in total NIH-awarded grant dollars.