What does the study entail?
- Teens are invited to join a six-week long online research study designed to help them quit vaping nicotine.
- Teens will have one-on-one virtual weekly meetings with trained counselors and learn how to:
- Prepare to quit and set a quit date
- Deal with withdrawal and cravings
- Address triggers and high-risk situations for vaping
- Cope with stress and other negative emotions
- Develop alternative positive reinforcing behaviors
- Manage lapses
- Teens will also receive behavioral reinforcements if they stop vaping and/or attend all scheduled online appointments.
- Teens can receive up to $316-$436 in Amazon e-gift cards for completing all parts of the research.
- They can receive $156-$276 for attending all treatment appointments and/or abstaining from e-cigarettes. They can also receive an additional $160 for completing all research appointments.
- Interested teens will complete a virtual screening/intake where all procedures will be explained.
- If eligible, there will be weekly 1 hour-online counseling sessions and 12 brief (10-15 minute) online appointments over the six week study period. Once participants complete the study, staff will conduct 4 brief follow up appointments over the course of a year.
- Saliva samples will be obtained to assess levels of nicotine (we will not test for any other drugs or alcohol).
- There also will be 3 contactless drop-offs of study materials (including a tablet that is yours to keep): two at the beginning of the study and one at the end.
- Taking part in this study is completely voluntary and participants can change their mind at any time.
- All information collected is confidential and will only be shared with those that are involved with the study, we will not share study information with school staff, friends, or family. If under eighteen years old, participants will need to have a parent or guardian sign permission prior to participating.