Skip to Main Content

Summer 2024 Interns Present Their Research

July 30, 2024
by Ezinwa Osuoha

Friday, July 26 marked the 2024 Undergraduate Developmental Science Summer Internship Poster Symposium. This year’s event showcased the remarkable work of 17 Yale Child Study Center interns from 11 universities and colleges across the nation, highlighting the innovative research and hands-on learning experiences that define this prestigious internship program. The Education Collaboratory is proud to have hosted three interns, all of whom presented their summer research at the symposium.

The Collaboratory Summer Interns’ Research

Adriana Rivera Vega

Among our distinguished interns is Adriana Rivera Vega, from San Diego State University, whose research focused on "Examining Cross-Cultural Inclusive Practices for Students with Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities." Adriana’s study explores the nature of inclusive educational practices through a framework analysis, aiming to improve the experiences of students with IDD worldwide.

Working in the Education Collaboratory at Yale has been a very immersive learning experience for me, both professionally and personally. The highlight of my time here was collaborating with Dr. Cipriano on a groundbreaking project in partnership with the Special Olympics.

Adriana Rivera Vega

Jordyn Barkley

Jordyn Barkley, from Spelman College, presented on "The Most Frequently Used Emotion Regulation Strategies of Black Students Reflect Parental Socialization." Jordyn’s research investigates how emotion regulation strategies among Black students are influenced by parental socialization practices, disentangling critical considerations for supporting Black students experiences of emotion at school.

Working in the Education Collaboratory has taught me so much about the many components necessary to conduct efficient, thriving, and purposeful research. I've learned a great deal about research methods, thinking outside the box, and the importance of applied research. Contributing to the Project Flourish team and working with such an amazing group of people have been highlights of my summer. Dr. Christina Cipriano’s mentorship has been inspiring and has motivated me to continually progress in my research career.

Jordyn Barkley

Maya Steiger

Maya Steiger, from Otterbein University, presented her findings on "Validating and Invalidating Teacher Behaviors in the Classroom," a project focused on improving equitable and inclusive social-emotional learning in elementary schools by identifying how teachers use validating or invalidating expressions while teaching to affirm or dismiss student affective learning experiences.

Working with Dr. Christina Cipriano and the Education Collaboratory has been an incredible experience. This internship has allowed me to delve into qualitative research for the first time and has been instrumental in preparing me for graduate school. It has provided valuable networking opportunities and helped me refine my research interests and career goals.

Maya Steiger

The symposium offered a platform for Adriana, Jordyn, Maya, and their fellow interns to share their findings on a wide range of topics, including the neuroscience of parenting, adolescent risk-taking, family interventions, and addiction. Each poster presented a unique aspect of developmental science, showcasing the depth and breadth of research conducted throughout the summer.

This event underscores the commitment of the Yale Child Study Center faculty and staff to advancing the field of developmental science and fostering the growth of emerging researcher scholars.