Yibing Qyang obtained his B.S. degree from the Department of Biochemistry, Nanjing University, China and subsequently pursued graduate studies at the Institute of Microbiology, Chinese Academy of Sciences. Then he joined the Department of Molecular Genetics, University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. After receiving his M.S. degree from Dr. Michele Sawadogo’s laboratory, and his Ph.D. from Dr. Stevan Marcus’s lab, he spent the next year conducting postdoctoral research at Baylor College of Medicine, where he studied myeloproliferative diseases with a mouse model of Presenilin deficiency. He next joined Dr. Kenneth R. Chien's laboratory at the University of California, San Diego and then the Cardiovascular Research Center, Massachusetts General Hospital, Harvard Medical School and Harvard Stem Cell Institute. He has been studying the renewal and differentiation of cardiovascular progenitor cells, marked by Isl1, a LIM-Homeodomain transcription factor, as well as cardiovascular disease mechanisms using human stem cell and animal models. In October 2008, Dr. Qyang became a principal investigator at the Yale Cardiovascular Research Institute and Section of Cardiology, Dept. of Internal Medicine, and Yale Stem Cell Center. Since 2010, he has been Director of the Yale Stem Cell Research Forum.
Currently, the Qyang laboratory has the following members:
1. Yongming Ren, Ph.D. (Associate Research Scientist; Yale entry level faculty position), graduated from Tsinghua University, China, in 2007. Dr. Ren was awarded a Connecticut Stem Cell grant ($200,000; 11/1/2012 – 10/30/2014).
2. Oscar Bartulos-Encinas, Ph.D. (Associate Research Scientist; Yale entry level faculty position), graduated from University of Madrid, Spain, in 2009. Dr. Bartulos was awarded a Connecticut Stem Cell grant ($200,000; 11/1/2013 – 10/30/2015).
3. Jiesi Luo, Ph.D. (Postdoc), graduated from Michigan State University, USA in 2014.
4. Jinkyu Park, Ph.D. (Postdoc), graduated from Seoul National University, South Korea in 2013.
5. Liqiong Gui, Ph.D., Associate Scientist, graduated from University of Rochester, USA in 2006, and a supported collaborator.
6. Lingfeng Qin, M.D., Research Scientist, and a supported collaborator.
7. Xia Li, M.D., visiting scholar from China.
8. Nicole Boardman, Yale Junior Undergraduate Student.
Previous Qyang lab members:
1. Min Young Lee, D.V.M, Ph.D. (graduated from Chonnam National University, Korea), postdoc training in Qyang lab (2009-2012), now Assistant Professor in Department of Molecular Physiology, College of Pharmacy, Kyungpook National University , South Korea.
2. Esra Cagavi Bozkulak, Ph.D. (graduated from University of California, Los Angeles, USA), postdoc training in Qyang lab (2010-2012), now Assistant Professor in Gebze Institute of Technology, Faculty of Science, Department of Molecular Biology and Genetics, K:141, 41400, Gebze-Kocaeli, Turkey.
3. Xin Ge, Ph.D., (graduated from University of Minnesota, Twin Cities, USA), postdoc training in Qyang lab (2010-2013). Dr. Ge was awarded a Brown-Coxe postdoctoral fellowship ($50,000; 7/1/2011 – 6/31/2012). Dr. Ge is now an Assistant Professor in Shanghai Jiaotong University, China.
4. Peter John Amos, Ph.D., (graduated from University of Virginia), postdoc training in Qyang lab (2010-2013), now a scientist at University of Washington Seattle, Dr. Amos was awarded a Connecticut Stem Cell grant ($200,000; 9/1/2011 – 6/30/2013) during his training in Qyang lab.
5. Biraja Dash, Ph.D., graduated from Network of Excellence in Functional Biomaterials, National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland in 2014, trained in Qyang lab (2013-2016), now a scientist at Department of Surgery, Yale University.
6. Zhengxin Jiang, Ph.D. (graduated from Baylor College of Medicine, USA), postdoc training in Qyang lab (2013-2015), now a scientist at Northwestern University.
7. Ting Yi, Ph.D. (Postdoc), graduated from University of Vermont, USA in 2013, trained in Qyang lab (2013-2015), now pursuing a MBA degree at Quinnipiac University.
8. Carol Suh, graduate student who obtained a M.S. degree (2012-2014). She obtained her B.S. from Harvard University in 2011.
9. Hongwei Wu, M.D., visiting student who obtained Ph.D. degree (2011-2014). He was from The Third Xiangya Hospital of Central South University.
10. Yan Xu, M.D., visiting scholar (2014) from The Third Xiangya Hospital of Central South University.
11. Jessica Tuan, Master Student at Yale Biomedical Engineering (2011-2012), now a medical student at Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science.
12. Caroline Greenberg, Summer Intern 2011, Medical Student in Yale School of Medicine.
13. Andre Alcon, Summer Intern 2011, Medical Student in Yale School of Medicine.
14. Grant Senyei, Yale Undergraduate student (2008-2010), now a medical student at Northwestern University School of Medicine
15. Karen Xiao, Summer Intern 2012, undergraduate student at Georgetown University.
16. Zelun Wang, undergraduate summer student 2013 from Rice University.
17. Mengyan Liu, undergraduate summer student 2014 from University of New Haven.
18. Hong Wu, Ph.D., visiting scholar from China.