Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
Welcome to the Department of Comparative Medicine at Yale School of Medicine. The department is committed to maintaining a diverse and inclusive environment for trainees, staff, and faculty. We strive to promote a culture of equity, respect, kindness, and justice within our department and beyond. We believe that equity, inclusion and diversity are essential for academic excellence, professional development, and a strong scientific community. We welcome individuals from all backgrounds, irrespective of race, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation, age, ability, socioeconomic status, and religion into our educational, scientific, and professional community.
The work of our department and its DEI committee centers our five core values:
- Recruitment of members of underrepresented groups in science
- Education of department members on topics tailored to promoting a safe and inclusive environment
- Advocacy on behalf of all department members, especially those from underrepresented groups
- Retention of department members from underrepresented groups
- Outreach from our community to the broader New Haven community
This committee was formed in response to repeated instances of injustice imposed upon minoritized populations. As a department, we recognize that such injustices are present in every aspect of society, including our community of scientists, educators, professionals, students, trainees, and staff. This reality is unacceptable and, through our shared commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and justice efforts, realize that the time for active change is now.
Our DEI Program
Upcoming initiatives and events
- CMED DEI trainings – stay tuned!
- Form mentoring committees for incoming CMED members
- Establish paid internship for local high school/undergraduate students and a partially funded postbaccalaureate position
- CMED stories
- Solicit stories from department members, highlight one department member per month with the aim of strengthening understanding and community
- Postdoc speaker series
- Journal club
Summary of past initiatives and events
- DEI committee formed in late 2020
- Deployed a departmental climate survey, administered through the office of Dr. Darin Latimore, YSM’s Deputy Dean for Diversity and Inclusion, in December 2020
- Results were presented to the Department in the summer of 2021 by Dr. Latimore and can be requested via email (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- In a first step to addressing survey responses, all CMED postdoctoral researchers participated in a mentoring workshop conducted by Dr. Erin Heckler, Associate Provost for Postdoctoral Affairs