Pediatric Medical Education Research Collaborative (P-MERC)
Consultations, Collaboration, and Mentorship
We are here for you! The P-MERC offers opportunities for one-time consultations, on-going project collaboration, and general mentorship in educational research and scholarship. Please fill out the request on Qualtrics here.
A good mentor-mentee relationship isn’t always as easy to develop as it looks! Find some advice, tools and resources here to enhance your mentorship circle.
- Check out local resources through the Office of Academic Advancement and Professional Development
- Indiana University and the University of Wisconsin both have collated a large number of mentoring resources and toolkits
- The American Academy of Pediatrics offers a Mentorship Program to promote career and leadership development. Click here to look for mentors and mentees from all over the country.
- The AAP Mentor Handbook
- The Association of Pediatric Program Directors also has a mentorship subgroup you can view here
- The American Psychological Association Guide to Mentoring can be found here
- Mentoring in Medicine: Forms, Concepts and Experiences
- Mentoring in Academic Medicine: A systematic review
- Making the Most of Mentors: A Guide for Mentees
Statistical Resources at Yale
- Stats Lab – workshops and walk-in services run through the library
- Yale Center for Analytical Science offers walk in clinics, click here for information
- Department of Pediatrics Statistical Consultation with Veronika Shabanova, MD, or Julie Gaither, MD
- For a consultation, please click here to fill out the request form
Workshops and Conferences
Medical Educator Professional Development Repository
Courses, Workshops, Certificates
Courses, Workshops, Certificates:
- APA Med Ed fellowship (Educational scholars program) - a 3-year national faculty development program for academic pediatric educators who wish to build their skills in educational scholarship and leadership
- Pediatric Educator Excellence (APEX) – a longitudinal program for pediatric hospitalist interested in expanding your teaching skills and competence in evidence-based educational strategies
- Association of Pediatric Program Directors APPD LEAD - a 9-month educational program that provides outstanding training for educators aspiring to develop the knowledge and skills needed to advance leadership skills in medical education
Professional Development and Teaching Opportunities - This repository is a communal resource for those in the Yale medical community looking to advance their medical education scholarship and find teaching opportunities.
National and International Conferences:
Association of Pediatric Program Directors (APPD)
Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE)
The Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME)
The Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE)
Central Group on Educational Affairs (CGEA)
Pediatric Academic Society (PAS)
The Generalists in Medical Education
- Professional Development and Teaching opportunities
Medical Education Writing Project Innovation Lab
What is it?
A collaborative meeting for medical educators to gather and support one another to develop, write and publish ideas relevant to medicine and medical education.
- Pitch an idea to get feedback
- Discuss your challenges with projects and writing
- Meet others and form a new collaboration
- Set a personal goal to accomplish by the next meeting – we are accountable to one another
- Experience peer mentorship
- Revise and edit abstract/publication drafts
- Share practical solutions to common obstacles in finishing a project
- Be inspired and encouraged
Who should come?
Anyone! The group is open to students, trainees, junior and senior faculty members from all Pediatric Sections, Med-Peds, and Pediatric surgical specialties.
Why should I come?
Writing groups have been shown to foster community, increase productivity, and lead to successful promotion.
Publications resulting from the Lab
Goldman MP, Campbell KL, Sousa D, Doolittle BR. A new skill is needed in the emergency department: Introducing ourselves properly. Acad Emerg Med. 2022 Jan;29(1):131-132. doi: 10.1111/acem.14414. Epub 2021 Nov 23. PMID: 34751968.
Langhan ML, Tiyyagura G. Revise and Resubmit. Acad Pediatr. 2022 Jul;22(5):711-712. doi: 10.1016/j.acap.2022.02.002. Epub 2022 Feb 10. PMID: 35151927.
Lee ME, Karnik R, Soffer G, Langhan M, Doolittle B. “Yale Medical Education Writing Project Innovation Lab – A Multidisciplinary Faculty Working Group Effectively Boosting Collaboration and Productivity.” Presented at: Medical Education Day at Yale 2023; June 1, 2023; New Haven, CT [virtual conference]. (Poster).
Lee ME, Price J, Schauer J, Carlozzi L, Virk K, Freeman K, Lee J, Johnston TA, Bhat A. Enhanced congenital cardiac surgery knowledge with multidisciplinary collaborative education series for paediatric cardiology fellows and nurse practitioners. Cardiol Young. 2023 Jul 26:1-5. Doi: 10.1017/S1047951123002603. PMID: 37493038.
References about Writing Groups
Steinert Y, McLeod PJ, Liben S, Snell L. Writing for publication in medical education: the benefits of a faculty development workshop and peer writing group. Med Teach. 2008;30(8):e280-5. doi: 10.1080/01421590802337120. PMID: 18946816.
Grzybowski SC, Bates J, Calam B, Alred J, Martin RE, Andrew R, Rieb L, Harris S, Wiebe C, Knell E, Berger S. A physician peer support writing group. Fam Med. 2003 Mar;35(3):195-201. PMID: 12670113.
Sonnad SS, Goldsack J, McGowan KL. A writing group for female assistant professors. J Natl Med Assoc. 2011 Sep-Oct;103(9-10):811-5. doi: 10.1016/s0027-9684(15)30434-x. PMID: 22364047.
Fleming LW, Malinowski SS, Fleming JW, Brown MA, Davis CS, Hogan S. The impact of participation in a Research/Writing Group on scholarly pursuits by non-tenure track clinical faculty. Curr Pharm Teach Learn. 2017 May;9(3):486-490. doi: 10.1016/j.cptl.2016.12.004. Epub 2017 Apr 29. PMID: 29233289.
Houfek JF, Kaiser KL, Visovsky C, Barry TL, Nelson AE, Kaiser MM, Miller CL. Using a writing group to promote faculty scholarship. Nurse Educ. 2010 Jan-Feb;35(1):41-5. doi: 10.1097/NNE.0b013e3181c42133. PMID: 20010271.
Seminal Articles and Resources
These articles present some articles that give a general overview of educational research and scholarship:
- Conducting Educational Research from Design To Dissemination, click to see PDF
- Scholarship Toolkit, click to see PDF
- Educational Research Guideline, click to see document
- Five steps to Publication, click to see PDF
- A Primer on Med Ed Research, click to see PDF
- Medical Education Scholarship: An introductory guide, click to see PDF
- The Research Compass: An introduction to research in medical education, click to see PDF
Educational Frameworks, Conceptual Models and Tools
- Overview of Conceptual Frameworks, click to see PDF
- Kerns 6 Step Curriculum Development, click to see PDF
- Kirkpatrick Model for Outcomes Evaluation, click to see document
- CIPP Model for Outcomes Evaluation, click to see PDF
- Medical Education Research Study Quality Instrument (MERSQI), click to see PDF
- Instruments for Measuring Clinical Environment, click to see PDF
- Choosing Statistical tests: click here for A Clinician-Educator’s Roadmap to Choosing and Interpreting Statistical Tests, here for Diagrammatic Approach to Choosing Summary Measures, Statistical Tests and Methods, and here for the Glossary of Terms
- Program Evaluation Models and Related Theories
- Learn, See, Practice, Do, Maintain: An Evidence-based Pedagogical Framework for Procedural Skill Training in Medicine
High Level Summary of Yale Simulation Resources
- Hospital simulation center- focus on hospital staff, improvement efforts
- Application process for programs (services include educator consult, technician, resources)
- Many pediatric simulators/skills trainers, educators/facilitators/technicians/actors
- Course work: intro to sim/experiential learning, debriefing, advanced debriefing
- Medical school center- focus on students/university/research
- Many pediatric simulators/skills trainers, educators/facilitators/technicians/actors
- Course work: debriefing, journal clubs
- ** sim fellowship, ** grants/research program
- Standardized patient program: clinical skills rooms at medical school (Harkness)
- Nursing school simulation center
- EMS simulation center
- Sim resources: PALS, NRP, EMS, VR, EMSC
Entrustable Professional Activities
- Item Writing Guide and Free Online Item Writing Tutorial: The National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) Item Writing Guide and Tutorial are resources for educators interested in learning how to write quality test items. The NBME Item Writing Guide incorporates lessons that NBME staff have learned from decades of collaborating and developing exam questions and conducting workshops with medical educators globally.
- NBME Learning Resources: Unlocking Assessment is a new video series that helps students and residents see how a panel of their peers, as well as a team of licensed physicians, approach NBME® test questions used to measure their clinical knowledge. Each episode focuses on a different patient scenario and includes an interactive discussion.
- United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE) Sample Items: Sample items for USMLE are available as a resource for educators and students.
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI)
Medical Education Associations
- Academic Pediatric Association
- Alliance for Clinical Education
- American Board of Internal Medicine
- American Medical Association (AMA)
- Association of American Medical Colleges
- Generalists in Medical Education
- National Board of Medical Examiners
- Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates
- Foundation for Advancement of International Medical Education and Research
- Association of Standardized Patient Educators (ASPE)
- International Association of Medical Science Educators
- Society for Simulation in Healthcare
- Association of Directors for Medical Student Education in Psychiatry (ADMSEP)
- Association of Professors in Gynecology and Obstetrics (APGO)
- Association for Surgical Education (ASE)
- Clerkship Directors in Internal Medicine (CDIM)
- Consortium of Neurology Clerkship Directors (CNCD)
- Council on Medical Student Education in Pediatrics (COMSEP)
- Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM)
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine (SAEM)
- Society for Academic Continuing Medical Education
- American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine
- Northeast Group on Educational Affairs (NEGEA) of the AAMC
- Association for Medical Education in Europe
- Association for the Study of Medical Education (ASME)
- European Medical Students Association (EMSA)
- Gesellschaft fur Medizinische Ausbildung (GMA)
- International Federation of Medical Students Associations (IFMSA)
- National Association of Clinical Tutors (NACT)
- Sociedad Española De Educación Médica (SEDEM)
- World Federation for Medical Education (WFME)
- Canadian Association for Medical Education (CAME)
- Institut für medizinische und pharmazeutische Prüfungsfragen (IMPP)
- International Association of Medical Science Educators
- Medical Council of Canada
- Medical Protection Society
- MEDINE: Medicine Thematic Network
- General Medical Council
Publishing In Medical Education
Publishing in Medical Education
Med Ed Journals
- Academic Pediatrics
- Academic Medicine
- Teaching and Learning in Medicine
- Medical Teacher
- Medical Education
- Advances in Health Science Education
- BMC Medical Education
- Medical Education Online
- GMS Journal for Medical Education
- Perspectives on Medical Education
- International Journal of Medical Education
- Advances in Medical Education and Practice
- Journal of Medical Education and Curricular Development
- MedEd Publish
- The Clinical Teacher
- Medical Science Educator
- Education for Primary Care
Find a Journal to Match Your Manuscript
Manuscript Reporting Guidelines Related to Medical Education
- Manuscript Checklist
Resource on different reporting guidelines PDF
- GREET: Guidelines for reporting evidence-based practice Educational Interventions and Teaching PDF
- Reporting on OSCEs checklist PDF
Qualitative research reporting guidelines PDF
Simulation reporting guidelines PDF
- Standardized patient reporting guidelines PDF
2022 and before
- Katie Gielissen, MD, MHS, MedEd - "Entrustment Decision Making: It’s Not Just About the Learner", click here to view
- Drs. Rachel Osborn and Ben Doolittle - "Autonomy vs. Supervision", click here to view
- Janet Hafler, Ed.D - "Documenting Scholarly Activity", click here to view
- Kimberly Hieftje, PhD - "The Use of XR (extended reality) in Health and Education", click here to view.
- Heather Collette, MD, MHS-MEd - "Effective Virtual Teaching", click here to view.
- Katherine Gieliessen, MD, and Sarita Soares, MD, FACP – "How Can We Help Struggling Learners? A Prescription for Success", click here to view.
- Janet Hafler, EdD – "Documenting and Evaluating Educational Scholarship", click here to view.
- Healther Dahlquist, MD - "Using Telemedicine to Teach Trainees", click here to view.
- Melissa Langhan, MD - "Designing Scholarly Evaluation of Educational Research", click here to view.
- Marc Auerbach, MD, MsC, Lindsay Johnston, MD, MEd, and Gunjan Tiyyagura, MD, MHS - "Pediatric Simulation-Based Medical Education at Yale: Best Practices, Resources, Opportunities", click here to view.
- Dana Dunne, MD, MHS - "Importance of a Positive Learning Climate", click here to view.
- Lindsay Johnston, MD, MEd - "Curriculum Development", click here to view.
- Heather Dahlquist , MD - "Effective Teaching Using Zoom Part 1", click here to view.
- Heather Dahlquist, MD - "Effective Teaching Using Zoom Part 2", click here to view.
- Healther Dahlquist, MD - "Engaging Learners with PowerPoint and Game-Based Learning", click here to view.
- Ben DooLittle, MD, MA Div - "A Renaissance Life, Joy, & Scholarship in Academic Medicine Session 2", click here to view.
- Pnina Weiss, MD - "Curriculum Development Made Ridiculously Simple!", click here to view.
- Uma Phatak, MD, MHS - "Direct Observation of Feedback in Medical Education", click here to view
Top Medical Education Articles of 2022
Virtual interviewing for graduate medical education recruitment and selection: A BEME systematic review: BEME Guide No. 80 Daniel M, Gottlieb M, Wooten D, Stojan J, Haas MRC, Bailey J, Evans S, Lee D, Goldberg C, Fernandez J, Jassal SK, Rudolf F, Guluma K, Lander L, Pott E, Goldhaber NH, Thammasitboon S, Uraiby H, GraftonClarke C, Gordon M, Pawlikowska T, Corral J, Partha I, Kolman KB, Westrick J, Dolmans D. Medical Teacher. 2022; 44:1313-1331
Racial Bias on the Emergency Medicine Standardized Letter of Evaluation Kukulski P, Schwartz A, Hirshfield LE, Ahn J, Carter K. Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2022;14:542-548.
Self-assessment: With all its limitations why are we still measuring and teaching it? Lessons from a scoping review
Yates N, Gough S, Brazil V Medical Teacher. 2022; 44:1296-1302
Creating a better learning environment: a qualitative study uncovering the experiences of Master Adaptive Learners in residency
Regan L, Hopson L, Gisondi M, Branzetti J BMC Medical Education, 2022; 22:141
Extending growth curves: a trajectory monitoring approach to identification and interventions in struggling medical student learners Landoll R, Bennion L, Maranich A, Hemmer P, Torre D, SchreiberGregory D, Durning S, Dong T Advances in Health Sciences Education. 2022; 27: 645-658.
Pediatric Residents’ Experiences With High-Value Care at an Academic Children’s Hospital
Seltz LB; Nathaniel E; Ball A; Jimenez S; Tchou M Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2022; 14: 80-88
Experiences of Discrimination, Institutional Responses to Seminal Race Events, and Depressive Symptoms in Black U.S. Medical Students Milam AJ; Brown I; Johnson JE; McDougle L; Sousa A; Furr-Holden D Academic Medicine. 2022; 97: 876–883
How Prepared Are They? Pediatric Boot Camps and Intern Performance Rideout M, Schwartz A, Devon EP, Burns R, Skurkis CM, Carter M, Hartke A, Raszka Jr WV for the APPD LEARN/COMSEP Boot Camp Study Group Academic Pediatrics. 2022; 22: 1237-1245
Preparing Medical Students to Address Health Disparities Through Longitudinally Integrated Social Justice Curricula: A Systematic Review Draper JK, Feltner C, Vander Schaaf EB, Malchuk AM Academic Medicine. 2022; 97: 1226-1235.
Using Learning Analytics to Examine Differences in Assessment Forms From Continuous Versus Episodic Supervisors of Family Medicine Residents
Lee ASO, Donoff C, Ross S. Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2022;14: 606-612
Narrative Assessments in Higher Education: A Scoping Review to Identify Evidence-Based Quality Indicators
Chakroun M, Dion VR, Ouellet K, Graillon A, Désilets V, Xhignesse M, St-Onge C Academic Medicine. 2022;97:1699-1706
ACGME Milestones in the Real World: A Qualitative Study Exploring Response Process Evidence
Maranich AM, Hemmer PA, Uijtdehaage S, Battista A Journal of Graduate Medical Education. 2022;14: 201-209
Bridge Builders: A Qualitative Study of Fellows’ Successful Supervision of Residents Chiel L*, Winthrop Z*, Huth K, Gross C*, Gomez A*, Marcus C, and Winn A Academic Medicine. 2022; 97:1195-1202.
Teaching Medical Students to Teach: A Narrative Review and Literature-Informed Recommendations for Student-as-Teacher Curricula
Cohen A, Steinert Y, Ruano Cea E Academic Medicine. 2022; 97:909-922
Med Ed Accomplishments
2023 Meeting Presentations
Council Of Medical Student Education in Pediatrics (COMSEP)
- Beyond Feedback: Leveraging Coaching Skills To Achieve Learner Peak Performance
Association of Pediatric Program Directors Spring Meeting
- Flourishing-Focused Advising: Harnessing Milestones 2.0 Well-Being Assessments To Cultivate Trainee Thriving
David Vermette, MD, MBA; Katherine Gielissen, MD, MHS; Benjamin Doolittle, MD, MDiv,
- I Object! Conscientious Objection To Gender Affirming Care In Residency Training, Balancing Vulnerabilities
Rachel Osborn, MD
Pediatric Academic Society
- TeleVISION: Telesimulation Versus In-person Simulation Of Neonatal resuscitation skills
Isabel Theresia Gross
- Improving Emergency Preparedness in Pediatric Primary Care Offices: A Simulation-Based Multicenter Study
- Pediatric Emergency Medicine (PEM) Fellows Experiences with Critical Event Debriefing: A National Cross-Sectional Analysis
Alexandria Georgadarellis, Melissa L. Langhan.
- In or Out of the Room? Describing Alignment Between Senior Pediatric Residents and Preceptors When Making Ad-Hoc Procedural Entrustment Decisions
Michael P. Goldman, Martin D. Slade, Katherine Gielissen, Dana Dunne, Marc Auerbach.
- Barriers and Facilitators to Using Entrustable Professional Activities in Pediatric Fellowships
Melissa L. Langhan
- The Community Pediatric Hospital Medicine Individualized Curriculum: Recommended Experiences
- Selection and Recruitment Strategies Among Pediatric Training Programs and the Impact of Diversity: A Qualitative Study
Michael P. Goldman, Gunjan Tiyyagura, Melissa L. Langhan.
- Establishing Partnerships to Educate Pediatric Critical Care Providers in Resource-Limited Settings
Brian S. Marcus, Michael F.. Canarie.
- Perspectives on Global Health Education in Pediatric Hospital Medicine Fellowships in the U.S.
Frances Y. Cheng.
- Choosing Pediatric Trainees and Promoting Diversity: Residency and Fellowship Applicant Characteristics by Race, Ethnicity and Gender
Melissa L. Langhan
Yale Medical Education Day
- Learn Well: Creating Psychological Safety in the Clinical Learning Environment
- Assessment Challenges: How to Improve Written Evaluations, Assessments of Teams, and Simulated Participant Encounters
- Pediatric Critical Care Nursing Education and Distance Simulation in Accra, Ghana
Marie Nader, MD, Clinical Fellow, Pediatric Critical Care
New Leadership Positions
- Uma Phatak – Director of YSM Medical Education
- Annette Cameron – Pedialink Editorial Board
- Melissa Langhan – APPD Supporting Medical Education Research Fellow Scholars executive council
- Lindsay Johnston
14th Annual First Year Neonatology Fellows' Regional Boot Camp
Mead Johnson Nutritional Group
- Marc Auerbach
Improving care for Pediatric TBI in rural and underserved communities
- Beverley Sheares
ATF Proposal: Incorporation and Evaluation of Health Equity Content into a Medical School Curriculum
Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
- Melissa Langhan
Supporting Pediatric Subspecialty Trainees Through Remediation: The Fellowship Directors’Perspective
Association of Pediatric Program Directors
Association Between Funding and Quality of Published Medical Education Research
Yale Pediatrics Award for Innovations Description
- Academic Pediatric Association
- Spencer Foundation
- Teleflex - funding for medical education programs
- Alfred P Sloan Foundation
- Gold Foundation - support the research and development of innovative projects within the graduate medical education setting, designed to facilitate successful patient-centered care initiatives
- Hearst Foundation – supports professional development for educators
- Society for Academic Emergency Medicine - foster innovation in teaching, education, and educational research in emergency medicine for faculty-, fellow-, resident- and medical student-level learners
- Macy Foundation - fostering innovation in clinical learning environments
- U.S. Department of Education – improvements in post-secondary education
- Alo Grant – focus on admissions and applicant assessment
- Association of Pediatric Program Directors (APPD) – for program directors
- Society for Simulation in Healthcare
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease (NIAID)
- BEIGENE - supporting medical education programs
- International Network for Simulation-based Pediatric Innovation, Research & Education (INSPIRE) – simulation based research
Group on Educational Affairs (GEA) – medical education across the continuum
Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) – international healthcare professions education
- Northeast Group on Educational Affairs (NEGEA) - medical education scholarship
Astra Zeneca – supporting medical education activities
Bristol Myers Squibb – support of evidence based educational activities in various areas of interest
National Board of Medical Examiners (NBME) – innovative approaches in assessment of medical education
Society for Academic Continuing Medical Education (SACME) – advancing CME to improve patient care
Society of Directors of Research in Medical Education (SDRME) – funded medical education review articles
- Spencer Foundation - funding for education-focused research projects, research training fellowships, and additional field-building initiatives
American Medical Association (AMA) – UME and GME medical education research
Association of Standardized Patient Educators (ASPE) – projects using standardized patients
International Association of Medical Science Educators (IAMSE) – educational scholarship and curriculum innovation
- Council of Medical Student Education in Pediatrics (COMSEP) – innovative educational scholarship
AAMC Award for Excellence in Medical Education
Alpha Omega Alpha Robert J. Glaser Distinguished Teacher Awards
Herbert W. Nickens Award
Herbert W. Nickens Faculty Fellowship
AAMC Curricular Innovation Awards
Merrell Flair Award in Medical Education
Miriam Friedman Ben-David Award
Ian Hart Award
Carol Berkowitz Award for Advocacy and Leadership in Pediatric Medical Education
Robert S. Holm, MD Leadership Award
Walter W. Tunnessen, Jr. MD Award for the Advancement of Pediatric Resident Education
Barbara Ross-Lee, DO Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Award
The Barbara Ross-Lee, DO Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Award recognizes efforts to achieve diversity, equity, and inclusion in the graduate medical education (GME) community. This award celebrates initiatives in which diverse learners are developed, diverse faculties are constructed, and the GME community embraces differences and highlights them as examples of what is achievable. The award recognizes ACGME-accredited Sponsoring Institutions and programs, as well as specialty organizations working to diversify the underrepresented physician workforce and create inclusive workplaces that foster humane, civil, and equitable environments.
Debra L. Dooley GME Program Coordinator Excellence Award
John C. Gienapp Award
Parker J. Palmer Courage to Teach Award
Section on Early Career Physicians Excellence in Education Award
The AAP Section on Early Career Physicians (SOECP) invites nominations for the 2021 AAP SOECP Excellence in Education Award. One individual or entity of the American Academy of Pediatrics is awarded the SOECP Leadership in Advocacy Award each year. The award recipient will be honored during a virtual SOECP Networking and Awards Reception in 2021. The award provides full general registration for the 2021 AAP National Conference and Exhibition and a $1,000 honorarium.
Let us know about your accomplishments!
Share your presentations, publications, awards, positions or other successes!