Members of WGD&I
Esther Borges Florsheim
Diversity in Immunobiology
In early 2017, the Immunobiology Working Group on Diversity & Inclusion was formed to reflect on departmental culture, foster greater conscientiousness, and celebrate and increase diversity in the Immunobiology community. The faculty, postdoctoral fellows, and graduate students that make up this group work together to not only establish practices that increase diversity at all levels of the department, but also raise awareness of issues related to diversity and inclusion.
The primary goal of the Immunobiology Working Group on Diversity & Inclusion is to create a more inclusive, informed, and engaged community.
By disseminating knowledge of diversity-related issues throughout the department, all members of the department are treated with the utmost respect to create an exceptionally collegial environment. This collaborative environment fosters creativity and high-quality research.
Not only does the Group aim to establish a community in which all members are well-versed in topics of diversity and inclusion, but also to build practices that increase diversity at all levels in the department.
Therefore, the Group is dedicated to increasing the diversity of the student, postdoctoral, and faculty bodies by recommending changes to the department's recruitment and hiring practices.
The fostering of ideas of diversity and inclusion should not be limited to those in higher education and research but is important at all levels of the training pipeline. As such, the Group is actively involved in the promotion of initiatives in which members of the Immunobiology community are involved in high school and undergraduate outreach initiatives.
The Immunobiology Working Group on Diversity & Inclusion is excited to work with the department to nurture a highly accepting community. Through the Public Service Announcement Awareness Campaign to workshops and trainings to a collection of resources for incoming students and postdoctoral fellows for support and intervention in instances of harassment and discrimination, the Group is the main departmental resource for all aspects of increasing diversity and inclusivity. Additionally, the Group is working to create a system for more direct trainee involvement in student recruitment and more transparency and trainee input in faculty hiring such that trainees are involved in the establishment of a more diverse community in the Immunobiology department at Yale.
- Additional Resources at Yale University and the Yale School of Medicine
Additional Resources at Yale University and the Yale School of Medicine
General Diversity & Inclusion Information
- Equity in the Job Search Resources for Increasing Diversity During the Hiring Processes https://www.equityinthejobsearch.org/getting-started/
- Minority Organization for Retention and Expansion (MORE) https://medicine.yale.edu/more/
- University Office of Diversity and Inclusion https://your.yale.edu/community/diversity-inclusion/office-diversity-and-inclusion
- University Office for Equal Opportunity Programs https://equalopportunity.yale.edu/
- Yale Cancer Center Office of Diversity and Health Equity https://www.yalecancercenter.org/research/excellence/diversity/disparities.aspx
- Yale Graduate School of Arts and Sciences Office for Graduate Student Development & Diversity https://gsas.yale.edu/diversity
- Yale University Office for Postdoctoral Affairs Diversity and Inclusion https://postdocs.yale.edu/resources/diversity-inclusion
- Yale Veterans Network https://yvn.yale.edu/
Cultural Centers and Affinity Groups
- Afro-American Cultural Center https://afam.yalecollege.yale.edu/
- Asian American Cultural Center https://aacc.yalecollege.yale.edu/
- Asian Network at Yale https://asiannetwork.yale.edu/
- La Casa Cultural (Latino Cultural Center) https://lacasa.yalecollege.yale.edu/
- Native American Cultural Center https://nacc.yalecollege.yale.edu/
- Society for Advancement of Chicanos/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS)- Yale Chapter https://www.sacnas.org/team-details/yale-university/
- Yale Postdoctoral Association https://postdocs.yale.edu/postdocs/pac
- Office of LGBTQ Resources https://lgbtq.yale.edu/
- oSTEM at Yale University https://ostemgrad.sites.yale.edu/
- Queer People of Color Coalition https://lgbtq.yale.edu/resources/qpoc-coalition
- School of Medicine Dean’s Advisory Council on LGBTQI+ Affairs https://medicine.yale.edu/lgbtqi/
- Yale AIDS Memorial Project http://yamp.org/
- Yale University LGBTQ Affinity Group https://lgbtqaffinity.yale.edu/